BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Orange Peel

03-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Orange Peel

Is this still an issue in BMW's. Has anyone decided to correct it so far if so?

Just put an order in on a 19 Comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

I'm happy with the paint, minimum orange peel.PPF is recommended to protect such fine work.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp

Last edited by MCOMP; 03-29-2019 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
I'm happy with the paint, Zero orange peel.PPF is recommended to protect such fine work.

Sorry, but this is simply not correct. You have no idea what orange peel is, clearly. Lol

You want to see what a vehicle with no orange peel looks like? Go to your local Bentely/Rolls Royce dealer, get down and look at the door. You'll be basically looking at piece of glass.

Orange peel is present on all large scale manufacturer vehicles.

My source- Being an Automotive Painter.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Sorry, but this is simply not correct. You have no idea what orange peel is, clearly. Lol

You want to see what a vehicle with no orange peel looks like? Go to your local Bentely/Rolls Royce dealer, get down and look at the door. You'll be basically looking at piece of glass.

I know what orange peel is my friend, "Zero" was exaggerated I agree but compared to my neighbors brand new Ford Mustang(God awful orange peel) the orange peel is minimal on this car and proper credit should be given to the paint process as it is worthy of praise.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp

Last edited by MCOMP; 03-27-2019 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
Ever34324.50
Pimpsy418.00
      03-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Do you feel like this is necessary? My brother is a painter/detailer and swear I need to drop the car to him first. My only problem is family puts you on the back burner and he'll take forever with the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
Do you feel like this is necessary? My brother is a painter/detailer and swear I need to drop the car to him first. My only problem is family puts you on the back burner and he'll take forever with the car.

Do i feel like orange peel is necessary? Eh, kinda. It hides imperfections on the body panels from the factory. Even some small dust bits that could be in there is hidden in the peel.

What are you looking to have your brother do to the car? You can always wetsand the orange peel out. I advise you, this is NOT a job for ANY novice to attempt.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Do i feel like orange peel is necessary? Eh, kinda. It hides imperfections on the body panels from the factory. Even some small dust bits that could be in there is hidden in the peel.

What are you looking to have your brother do to the car? You can always wetsand the orange peel out. I advise you, this is NOT a job for ANY novice to attempt.
He wants to remove the orange peel, ceramic the entire vehicle. He's a pro so that's not an issue. Just the "oh yeah I got busy so I didn't get to it" can add time to me waiting for my car.

My F10 he held for 5 weeks doing the same. The longest time ever!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Orange Peel, ya you can clearly see it, in a garage with good light reflection.
Not sure what that Florida guy was talking about from sunkist state, lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
He wants to remove the orange peel, ceramic the entire vehicle. He's a pro so that's not an issue. Just the "oh yeah I got busy so I didn't get to it" can add time to me waiting for my car.

My F10 he held for 5 weeks doing the same. The longest time ever!

good luck! i'll be doing the same when my fathers m5 gets here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Elanderholm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Competition

Quote:

Thank you. I still love the car, but gd is bmw cheap with paint. My 08 viper has paint by the gods in comparison. It’s kinda pathetic. An f90 m5 can afford to have awesome paint. Check out the new NSX for how paint should be done...at least for an oem paint job. Viper have notoriously amazing paint too. The use a lot of layers and wet sand almost all of it out. When I shine the turd, it shiiiines, can’t say the same for my m5. It’s a bummer because the MBB is such a pretty color, bmw knocked it out of the park.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanderholm View Post
Thank you. I still love the car, but gd is bmw cheap with paint. My 08 viper has paint by the gods in comparison. It’s kinda pathetic. An f90 m5 can afford to have awesome paint. Check out the new NSX for how paint should be done...at least for an oem paint job. Viper have notoriously amazing paint too. The use a lot of layers and wet sand almost all of it out. When I shine the turd, it shiiiines, can’t say the same for my m5. It’s a bummer because the MBB is such a pretty color, bmw knocked it out of the park.
I agree about the MBB being a home run, and now all I notice is the Orange peel after initially not noticing it as much as other cars I've owned.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
Appreciate 0