BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Will feature coding void warranty like ECU tuning does?

08-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition

Will feature coding void warranty like ECU tuning does?

Will feature coding void warranty like ECU tuning does? Example removing the seat belt warning sound etc

Apparently it will void warranty....anyone know?
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
Will feature coding void warranty like ECU tuning does? Example removing the seat belt warning sound etc

I won’t say for certain - but I am 99.9999% sure the answer is yes.
Messing with the ECU will set you up for some serious challenges from the manufacturer if anything goes wrong - and then there’s your insurance...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
To be honest, I’m not exactly sure. Some of the coding items really are nothing but little tweaks to the iDrive system so I’m guessing it won’t void the warranty. Anyway, it’s just a guess. I’m sure someone with more experience in this area will chime in.

Oops - I got distracted during my reply and didn’t address the ECU-specific question.

Last edited by bradleyjs; 08-06-2019 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Added Verbiage
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjs View Post
To be honest, I’m not exactly sure. Some of the coding items really are nothing but little tweaks to the iDrive system so I’m guessing it won’t void the warranty. Anyway, it’s just a guess. I’m sure someone with more experience in this area will chime in.
My experience is that what is being manipulated isn’t the issue.
The fact you are playing with the stock ECU programming at all - is the problem. It isn’t allowed.

And if you had ANY issues with the car and how it functions and they see changes to the ECU program - you will have your warranty voided. Why? Very easy for them to say you playing around with the computer - which you aren’t supposed to do - is the cause.

Simple way is to ask a dealership that isn’t yours without your car being there.

Good luck either way.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
bradleyjs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5B, 2006 E60 550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
The fact you are playing with the stock ECU programming at all - is the problem. It isn’t allowed.

And if you had ANY issues with the car and how it functions and they see changes to the ECU program - you will have your warranty voided. Why? Very easy for them to say you playing around with the computer - which you aren’t supposed to do - is the cause.

Simple way is to ask a dealership that isn’t yours without your car being there.

Good luck either way.
I agree with you!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyjs View Post
I agree with you!
Lol. I have had some half decently modified cars - so for me it’s not an issue if that is the way I want to go (as my Builder handles all maintenance anyway).

I just wouldn’t want to risk a stock car with its warranty over beeps and lights. I either mod or do not.

That said - as the owner - it is your choice of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Mlynarz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Marina Bay Blue M5 Competition

From what I know it will not void your warranty. Nick Murray is talking about it here:
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:

Good luck either way.
Maybe it's different in Canada, but in the US they're going to have to prove that something you did caused the problem you're having to be able to void your warranty. They can say they're voiding the warranty, but them saying that doesn't mean that they can.

Most things in coding are simple parameters in already existing code in the car/IDrive/etc and resetting the ECU involved to 'defaults' will quickly show it's not the problem. You might be on the hook for service costs for a dealer to do that, if what you did caused a problem, but that's not voiding your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post

Generally... no. Things like seat belt warning sounds or starting the car in sport mode or disabling auto start stop are things that BMW would love to be able to offer you direct control, but can't in your market (probably because of government regulations). Changing those parameters is not a warranty issue, though theoretically you could be on tap for a legal hit with your government for some of them, though that seems unlikely at best.

Changing something that affects the performance of the engine? Yeah, they could make a case that that is outside the normal operating parameters of the vehicle and if there was a problem later, they could then use that as justification to void the warranty. But I don't think you can get into anything like that with simple coding (like BimmerCode).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:

Good luck either way.
US consumer protection laws state otherwise.

Talk is cheap. It's easy for a dealership manager or even BMW corporate to state that "your warranty is void", just as insurance companies may initially deny any claim to try to save money, but the situation described above could not survive a legal challenge. As someone mentioned, they would need to prove (in court if challenged) that the consumer was directly responsible for the issue due to neglect or misuse.
      08-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #11
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
Generally... no. Things like seat belt warning sounds or starting the car in sport mode or disabling auto start stop are things that BMW would love to be able to offer you direct control, but can't in your market (probably because of government regulations). Changing those parameters is not a warranty issue, though theoretically you could be on tap for a legal hit with your government for some of them, though that seems unlikely at best.

Changing something that affects the performance of the engine? Yeah, they could make a case that that is outside the normal operating parameters of the vehicle and if there was a problem later, they could then use that as justification to void the warranty. But I don't think you can get into anything like that with simple coding (like BimmerCode).
Speaking of...I did not disable the passenger seat belt chime due to potential liability issues. Imagine if a passenger was injured without a seat belt on and the matter was brought before a court...you would be found liable, even if the accident was not your fault, and your insurance company would not pay the damages.

A small risk...but still, not worth it.
      08-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

In general, it does not void the warranty.
While VO coding, it may void your warranty.
VO coding ties down to what options the vehicle is built with and it is set during manufacturing.
Not even a local dealership supposed to touch it.
So, if it not done properly or correctly, it may void the warranty.

For example, if you don't have Night Vision and you just coding it without having or install the correct hardware. Then you may void the warranty if you brick the modules.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
For example, if you don't have Night Vision and you just coding it without having or install the correct hardware. Then you may void the warranty if you brick the modules.
See, that right there is the crux of the matter, IMO: if you code something and brick a module, you're screwed. I'd call that fair, you did something out side the normal operation of the vehicle, broke something and you should need to foot the bill.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12996.00
      08-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Speaking of...I did not disable the passenger seat belt chime due to potential liability issues. Imagine if a passenger was injured without a seat belt on and the matter was brought before a court...you would be found liable, even if the accident was not your fault, and your insurance company would not pay the damages.

A small risk...but still, not worth it.
Yeah, that's one of those things that you could get screwed on. Personally I always wear my seat belt, I feel naked with it off after 30+ years of wearing it every time in the car, plus they can now pull you over here to ticket for it if they want.

Though realistically, they will still probably sue you and you'll lose anyway. It's crazy easy to sue in the US and stupidly easy to win on dumb things: ie break into someones house and get hurt in the house (say you step on a toy) and you can sue and generally win in most states.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12996.00
      08-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
See, that right there is the crux of the matter, IMO: if you code something and brick a module, you're screwed. I'd call that fair, you did something out side the normal operation of the vehicle, broke something and you should need to foot the bill.
This was my point - the dealership is going to cry foul with any incident to the car and the owner is going to say - “but I didn’t touch “x” - why did it break/not work as intended/or brick - and they are going to say you shouldn’t have been touching code anyway - and it’s a mess - at best.

Canada also says things have to be proven - but the moment you start messing with the ECU - it is going to be a lot of work and stress to defend yourself over minor tweaks of the car? Not worth it in my opinion - either go for it or don’t in my opinion (and have a good Shop behind you if you do).

The other piece the OP got on from my original comment is insurance and liability. Shutting off the seatbelt chime and someone forgets to put their seatbelt on?

You can logic this out - go “by the book” - but real life - OP will have a big fight on his hands for little gain. That is the long and the short of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

My car is bone stock. I asked my dealer to unlock easy exit where the seat slides back. They would not because it is against bmw policy to unlock forbidden features. Lol. That’s the term.

I asked if they knew anyone I could go to to do it right. They said it will void your warranty.

These cars log all changes and tie each change to the bmw techs number. Changing it back will not undo the log. If a change is made outside of BMW your going to have a problem.

I don’t think a cooperative dealer can even get past the log issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #17
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
My car is bone stock. I asked my dealer to unlock easy exit where the seat slides back. They would not because it is against bmw policy to unlock forbidden features. Lol. That’s the term.

I asked if they knew anyone I could go to to do it right. They said it will void your warranty.

These cars log all changes and tie each change to the bmw techs number. Changing it back will not undo the log. If a change is made outside of BMW your going to have a problem.

I don’t think a cooperative dealer can even get past the log issue.
Understand that 1) just because a dealer said something does not mean it's true, 2) just because BMW says your warranty is void that it really is (it's not that easy for them to do that in the US), 3) they need to know this happened and 4) there needs to be a problem related to the item coded for them to have a warranty claim to deny.

If you code and exit mode and the seat mechanism dies, they could probably make a point that they did not provide that feature because it puts too much wear on the seat mechanism (which would be stupid, but still). But if you code the seat and the engine drops out, they're not going to be able to justify denying a warranty claim for the engine.

I mean, honestly they could deny a suspension claim because you weren't using the tires shipped with the vehicle, but that would be stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I think they tell you this is a technology packed car and you needed with it. Now you deal with it.

I don’t like it but I don’t think you would win within any reasonable time frame or expense. As I get older I’m looking to minimize my aggravation and not wasting my time.

Quote:
Understand that 1) just because a dealer said something does not mean it's true, 2) just because BMW says your warranty is void that it really is (it's not that easy for them to do that in the US), 3) they need to know this happened and 4) there needs to be a problem related to the item coded for them to have a warranty claim to deny.

If you code and exit mode and the seat mechanism dies, they could probably make a point that they did not provide that feature because it puts too much wear on the seat mechanism (which would be stupid, but still). But if you code the seat and the engine drops out, they're not going to be able to justify denying a warranty claim for the engine.

I mean, honestly they could deny a suspension claim because you weren't using the tires shipped with the vehicle, but that would be stupid.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #19
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I think they tell you this is a technology packed car and you needed with it. Now you deal with it.

I don’t like it but I don’t think you would win within any reasonable time frame or expense. As I get older I’m looking to minimize my aggravation and not wasting my time.
That's your choice, but a manufacturer voiding a car warranty in the US has the burden of proof put on them.
Appreciate 0