BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Porterfield R4S review

12-27-2021, 02:30 AM   #1
vanos84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 BSM

Porterfield R4S review

I figured I would let any prospective buyers know a thing or two about these pads since I just made the switch. Since I've only driven about 100 miles or so on them I can't get too in depth, but I will say that so far my expectations have been exceeded. I purchased these pads really for one reason and one reason only and that is to cut down on dust. With the stock "M" pads I could drive a few miles up the road after cleaning my rims and they would literally be coated in orange dust. It was to the point where I didn't even bother. These pads cut that down dramatically, to what I would consider a normal amount. I mean I can actually keep my rims clean for at least a few days now. With these massive rotors and calipers there is and always will be a dust factor, but its now manageable, and the stopping performance is surprisingly comparable. They aren't quite as "grabby" as the stockers but I don't mind that anyways. I like a more smooth feel to the brakes. They aren't cheap but nor is anything for these cars! I will continue to monitor their performance as they bed in a little more but so far I'm content and would recommend them to anyone looking to correct the dusting issue without hampering performance much at all. Thanks to all who recommended these to me.
Appreciate 1
Egrunt548.50
      01-11-2022, 02:43 AM   #2
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Super interested in set. Please report back after more miles
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I have these on my car. They are pretty good cold, but they need a bit of heat in them to REALLY grab.

Very very very low dust, just SLIGHTLY more than Akebonos. Very easy to clean.

The P4S will make some noise when you really get on them in the canyons, but it stops once the pads cool down.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I have these on my car. They are pretty good cold, but they need a bit of heat in them to REALLY grab.

The P4S will make some noise when you really get on them in the canyons, but it stops once the pads cool down.
Would you say the stopping power is significantly less then OE? Have you tried stopping from 150mph +?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:33 PM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916_M5 View Post
Quote:

Would you say the stopping power is significantly less then OE? Have you tried stopping from 150mph +?
I don't think the P4S pads are made to handle substantial amounts of heat, especially from multiple 100 plus mph stops. I felt some slight fade after doing some high speed canyon runs which was about 25 miles of hard driving.

I would consider Endless MX72s for my next set of pads. They will dust more but I've heard Endless makes some of the best pads in the world.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:44 PM   #6
M5KEITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

^^^ I had both and Endless all day. You will have less brake dust than stock pads.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1816.00
      01-19-2022, 01:35 AM   #7
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just to give everyone an update here, the Porterfield R4S failed on me only a couple of months in. Ended up cracking a pad during a canyon run from over heating the pad. I would not recommend it for a heavy car with R compound tires.

Too bad because I really enjoyed them as a street pad, but definitely not something you can be aggressive with in high speed twisty roads.

Ultimately I lost confidence in my braking about half way into the run and the pad lost a small chunk of pad material during the process. It seems like when these pads exceed their temperature rating, they become very inconsistent. High initial bite followed by very mediocre braking behavior.

I am going to have to step up to a race pad and deal with dirty wheels every other day, but I will learn to live with it to avoid having a miscalculation at higher sustained speeds

Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1816.00
      01-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #8
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Just to give everyone an update here, the Porterfield R4S failed on me only a couple of months in. Ended up cracking a pad during a canyon run from over heating the pad. I would not recommend it for a heavy car with R compound tires.

Too bad because I really enjoyed them as a street pad, but definitely not something you can be aggressive with in high speed twisty roads.

Ultimately I lost confidence in my braking about half way into the run and the pad lost a small chunk of pad material during the process. It seems like when these pads exceed their temperature rating, they become very inconsistent. High initial bite followed by very mediocre braking behavior.

I am going to have to step up to a race pad and deal with dirty wheels every other day, but I will learn to live with it to avoid having a miscalculation at higher sustained speeds
Porterfield says that this compound is not for track day use (sounds like you're pushing HARD).

For the tooling around town, these sound okay, but not for what you're doing.

Suggest you consider RacingBrake or endless for pads that will be up to the task.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:

Porterfield says that this compound is not for track day use (sounds like you're pushing HARD).

For the tooling around town, these sound okay, but not for what you're doing.

Suggest you consider RacingBrake or endless for pads that will be up to the task.

Shawn
Yup, these aren't meant for canyon driving at all. Purely grocery getter duty IMO.

I ended up with semi-metallic racing pads which make a ton of dust and noise, but the performance is well worth it.

Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1816.00
      01-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #10
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Yup, these aren't meant for canyon driving at all. Purely grocery getter duty IMO.

I ended up with semi-metallic racing pads which make a ton of dust and noise, but the performance is well worth it.
Agreed.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2883.50
      02-16-2022, 12:19 AM   #11
gabeo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I put these on a few weeks ago solely because I despise brake dust, and i’m slightly disappointed. Yes, it’s less, but it’s still enough that I’m not thrilled. My last car was an F80 M3 and I put Akebonos on it and they had almost zero dust and performed great. Was hoping for something similar.
      02-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeo View Post
I put these on a few weeks ago solely because I despise brake dust, and i'm slightly disappointed. Yes, it's less, but it's still enough that I'm not thrilled. My last car was an F80 M3 and I put Akebonos on it and they had almost zero dust and performed great. Was hoping for something similar.
As cars get bigger and heavier, street pads really haven't changed to match the increased demands of the braking system. Unfortunately, pads that I've run in the past with great success on lighter cars suck on newer generations unless we are talking about economy cars that weigh still weigh under or at 3000 lbs.

Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1816.00
      02-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
I put these on a few weeks ago solely because I despise brake dust, and i'm slightly disappointed. Yes, it's less, but it's still enough that I'm not thrilled. My last car was an F80 M3 and I put Akebonos on it and they had almost zero dust and performed great. Was hoping for something similar.
You need to try iSweep that I have.
A few local guys used it already and been happy with it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 12:54 AM   #14
gabeo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
You need to try iSweep that I have.
A few local guys used it already and been happy with it.
You have them on your f90? Where can I get these? No dust?? lol i’m interested!
      02-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
You have them on your f90? Where can I get these? No dust?? lol i’m interested!
Made a post here.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1894635

Been selling quite a lot since its arrival few weeks ago.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 05:09 PM   #16
gabeo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Made a post here.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1894635

Been selling quite a lot since its arrival few weeks ago.
Thanks, yea just by the looks of those pads they look like they'd dust very little. Pricey though. Yikes.