BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Break-in Service at 2,340 Miles

03-26-2024, 01:28 PM   #1
cjeansonne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C F90 - Donnington Grey

Exclamation

I'm currently looking at a 2023 M5 and after getting the maintenance records from BMW, the car is still showing an active warranty even though the "Running In" service was done almost 1,200 miles late!

My first reaction is to run away from this vehicle but wanted to get some other opinions. Why would BMW still cover it? I thought they gave a roughly 200-250 mile grace period over 1,200 miles.

Any input would be appreciated.

Car currently has 11,900 miles on it and only other service done was an oil change at 1 yr / 8,325 mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:00 PM   #2
logicators
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeansonne View Post
I'm currently looking at a 2023 M5 and after getting the maintenance records from BMW, the car is still showing an active warranty even though the "Running In" service was done almost 1,200 miles late!

My first reaction is to run away from this vehicle but wanted to get some other opinions. Why would BMW still cover it? I thought they gave a roughly 200-250 mile grace period over 1,200 miles.

Car currently has 11,900 miles on it and oil other service done was an oil change at 1 yr / 8,325 mile mark.
BMW doesn’t invalidate base warranty for late break in service, but you may not be able to get their extended warranty.

Oil change seems fine. My own break in service was on time and the first oil change was at 7500 miles, second one will likely be around 14500.

Maybe try getting extended warranty from BMW? If they deny, pass on the car.
Appreciate 2
Alberta2035.00
      03-26-2024, 02:02 PM   #3
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:

Car currently has 11,900 miles on it and oil other service done was an oil change at 1 yr / 8,325 mile mark.
BMW covers the vehicle under warranty as long as it has no problems.

Then, you will hear from your dealer "we cannot take this repair under warranty given that the maintenance intervals were not respected".

I think I won't be the only one to advise you to abandon this vehicle and find another one.
Appreciate 2
F30Andy1774.00
      04-08-2024, 09:48 AM   #4
G-M5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 , 2019 M5 , 2022 X5 M5

BMW Extended warranty won’t apply if 1200 mile service is not done. But if it was done , you can purchase extended warranty.

I think you should be fine with service being done a bit late.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 01:36 PM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I had an issue getting my extended warranty because of being late getting the Run in Service done. 1400 miles instead of 1200.

Since my dealer said it was ok to wait until they got the SWEAR WORD HERE oil themselves even though I showed up with a bottle of the required oil for the rear diff, being late was on THEM. You have to show up with a body cam on to record those dumb bastards to document their stupidity yourself.

They then told me when I was actually buying my extended warranty that BMW would not sell me the warranty because the 1200 mile service was "not done," at all. I told them "you did the SWEAR WORD HERE service" and should have reported it to BMW, and YOU told me it was ok to do it at 1400 miles. I only had this car at the time and had no other car to drive.

I will NEVER buy another BMW. Period. That company can kiss my SWEAR WORD HERE.

So those SWEAR WORD HERE WILL cancel your warranty if it suits their needs. BMW is a dying company. And they deserve to, especially with the butt ugly new grill. vomit.

I will not take my car to my local dealer for service again unless they take the dealership away from the local family that owns it and import a family of German Car Enthusiast to take over.

"Service" huh.....all bullshit.

Any way, why would the extended warranty not be available to you if the car did not DIE in the first 4 years because the differential fluid was changed a 1000 miles later??? Makes no SWEAR WORD HERE sense.

And what does BMW do for those whose Diff fluid was changed with the WRONG FLUID? My Dealer was going to use the WRONG FLUID and only because I pointed it out to them that they paused and ordered the correct fluid. I have Zero faith they actually did it correctly. But I know when I DIY at 50 k miles that it was done correctly with the correct fluid and the correct volume of fluid.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 07:06 AM   #6
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I had an issue getting my extended warranty because of being late getting the Run in Service done. 1400 miles instead of 1200.

Since my dealer said it was ok to wait until they got the SWEAR WORD HERE oil themselves even though I showed up with a bottle of the required oil for the rear diff, being late was on THEM. You have to show up with a body cam on to record those dumb bastards to document their stupidity yourself.

They then told me when I was actually buying my extended warranty that BMW would not sell me the warranty because the 1200 mile service was "not done," at all. I told them "you did the SWEAR WORD HERE service" and should have reported it to BMW, and YOU told me it was ok to do it at 1400 miles. I only had this car at the time and had no other car to drive.

So those SWEAR WORD HERE WILL cancel your warranty if it suits their needs. BMW is a dying company. And they deserve to, especially with the butt ugly new grill. vomit.

I will not take my car to my local dealer for service again unless they take the dealership away from the local family that owns it and import a family of German Car Enthusiast to take over.

Any way, why would the extended warranty not be available to you if the car did not DIE in the first 4 years because the differential fluid was changed a 1000 miles later??? Makes no SWEAR WORD HERE sense.

And what does BMW do for those whose Diff fluid was changed with the WRONG FLUID? My Dealer was going to use the WRONG FLUID and only because I pointed it out to them that they paused and ordered the correct fluid. I have Zero faith they actually did it correctly. But I know when I DIY at 50 k miles that it was done correctly with the correct fluid and the correct volume of fluid.

Mike
Looks like you are angry at BMW :
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:33 AM   #7
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta View Post
Looks like you are angry at BMW :
LOL, Mainly my local dealer experience, disappointing......

But it's not the same company I have dealt with for the past 30 years. The local service places I have used in other regions of the country used to go to bat for the customer with warranty work. They would find a way to get the repair done on warranty. Now the dealers basically just say 'BMW said no.'

Mike

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #8
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:

But it's not the same company I have dealt with for the past 30 years. The local service places I have used in other regions of the country used to go to bat for the customer with warranty work. They would find a way to get the repair done on warranty. Now the dealers basically just say 'BMW said no.'

Mike
Sorry my friend. That's disappointing.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 11:05 AM   #9
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Mike
I know you guys struggle sometimes getting job done under warranty.

I have to say that I have no issues dealing with that (my car is now out of warranty).
But when it was still covered, I got the driver's seat leather replaced on both my X5M and M5.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2273.00
      04-12-2024, 01:44 PM   #10
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:

And what does BMW do for those whose Diff fluid was changed with the WRONG FLUID? My Dealer was going to use the [...]
Something like how 3 different dealers gave me 3 different answers on how much fking diff fluid is supposed to be in the car😂 still no clue if it has the right amount (I should probably whip out ista and check for myself at this point)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 02:12 PM   #11
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
It says 1l:

Name:  Screenshot 2024-04-12 151131.png
Views: 91
Size:  27.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 02:17 PM   #12
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Something like how 3 different dealers gave me 3 different answers on how much fking diff fluid is supposed to be in the car😂 still no clue if it has the right amount (I should probably whip out ista and check for myself at this point)
The techs are either too arrogant or too stupid to actually check ISTA.

The program tells you EXACTLY what to do and when and with which hand and which foot to stand on. It's IDIOT proof.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 11:15 AM   #13
FJPM
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 330 D F 30 and F90 M5

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

Car currently has 11,900 miles on it and only other service done was an oil change at 1 yr / 8,325 mile mark.
I habe the same problem in Europe with an ex BMW company car with 460 km more than the 2000 km first inspection. The car run perfectly but strangely it appears on the app since the last update
Appreciate 0