BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Dash squeaks/creaks with temp difference

08-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Dash squeaks/creaks with temp difference

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys,

Does anyone notice the dash/trim squeaking? It seems to happen when car's been sitting in the sun (so cabin temp is high) and I turn the A/C on; driving around I hear squeaking/creaking sounds. I won't call it rattles, which I know some have complained about.

My guess is it's the plastic expanding and then contracting under the temperature change. I came into the M5C from a '16 X5M and that interior was dead silent (both have full leather).

Is this normal? If it's indeed the plastic thermal expansion/contraction, presumably it's nothing a service rep can fix. Needless to say, a bit disappointing for a car in this price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
sweet_sheeba
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone notice the dash/trim squeaking? It seems to happen when car's been sitting in the sun (so cabin temp is high) and I turn the A/C on; driving around I hear squeaking/creaking sounds. I won't call it rattles, which I know some have complained about.

My guess is it's the plastic expanding and then contracting under the temperature change. I came into the M5C from a '16 X5M and that interior was dead silent (both have full leather).

Is this normal? If it's indeed the plastic thermal expansion/contraction, presumably it's nothing a service rep can fix. Needless to say, a bit disappointing for a car in this price range.
for me it's the seat motor making a creaking noise after I snap in the seat belt, only happen after being in the heat for sometime - definitely odd...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Grundy
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,

Mine does it as well. If I leave the car in sun and then turn on the A/C the center speaker area cracks and pops.

Service advisor said it's a known issue and they are replacing the parts.

Crappy plastic? My other Bmw's and cars left in the same spot don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #4
vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

Mine does it as well. If I leave the car in sun and then turn on the A/C the center speaker area cracks and pops.

Yup, cracking and popping is another good way to describe it.

What parts are they replacing? Are the parts of different material? I doubt it. My concern would be them replacing the parts and nothing changing, or "better yet", they make it worse :

As mentioned, my 16 X5M was totally fine. But, it didn't have as much plastic, or so it seemed. I have full leather in the M5C but had to double check the specs after picking up the car because a lot of the materials (dash, center tunnel, etc) seemed like plastic (or fake leather). At any rate, the leather quality and dash build in general seems to be worse than the X5M. A bit surprising as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
mikelaca
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grundy View Post

Did your dealer end up fixing this? Did it help? I'd like to do the same on mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
norbtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Yes. The interior of the M5 with that carbon roof gets super hot real quick. Lots of ticking sounds as the interior cools. Oh well, just turn up the volume on the radio.
      04-04-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
dalixz25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 RS, Tesla M3P

I've noticed this as well when the car has been in the garage at regulated temperature, and then when it's taken out in relatively cooler temperature.

It tends to disappear thereafter.

F90 M5 (Sold)
E46 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
ZZZZMD1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW  [0.00]
My M550 has done that since I bought it. Given that the F90 is the same chassis and dashboard, I suspect it is susceptible to the same phenomenon. Otherwise, and in any other circumstance, the car has been completely free of squeaks and rattles.
Appreciate 0