BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Is this what normal tread wear looks like?

04-16-2024, 08:12 AM   #1
voxy
Rep
Drives: 550i

Is this what normal tread wear looks like?

Hello, i recently bought a used M5 Comp with 10K miles. The only issue i have with this car is the tire noise. They sound like heavy winter tires. The car has PS4S which i think are not supposed to be this noisy. From what i can ascertain from reading various posts that this could be due to alighment issue which cases uneven wear of the tread. Please see attached picture. Is this expected wear where the inner tread is the deepest and the outmost shallowest?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 01:03 PM   #2
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
A heavy right foot usually wears the middle fastest. I misread your thread the first time and outer wear seems like a toe or camber problem. When you replace the tires you should get an alignment, especially if it has never been done, even at 10k. I usually get an alignment every year regardless of miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 04:38 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

My front tires are not quite as worn as yours, but the wear is similar in that tread is deeper on the inner side and shallower on the outside. My car is aligned properly and has been. It is lowered and my front camber is -1.5.

My rear tires are wearing more in the center than the sides. I attribute that to higher than necessary inflation, though I keep my tires at the factory door jamb spec of 32 front and 33 rear. I don’t hotrod around town or leave a lot of rubber, but I do go fast on the highway when traffic permits.

Overall, I am not unhappy with the wear. Probably have 20k miles on these tires. They will be into the wear bars within 5k, definitely the rear and almost certainly the front.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:08 AM   #4
99-ls1-ss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

My car has around 11K miles on it. My front tires have about the same tread depth as your except the inner tread blocks on both front tires is worn completely out. It looks like they are close to showing belts/threads.

The inner tread blocks are the rear tires are better but not by much.

Given the fact that you guys don't have the wear pattern that I have, I'm assuming my car has an alignment issue.

Passenger's side front

Driver's side front

One rear tire (I forgot to take a pic of the other rear tire)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 09:20 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would definitely get an alignment when you replace the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 02:49 PM   #6
99-ls1-ss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I got new tires and an alignment today and my previous alignment wasn't that bad. I don't get why the inner tread blocks on both of my front tires were so worn at 12K miles.

If anything, the alignment might be a little more likely to wear the inner tread blocks faster.

I've attached my alignment sheet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:08 AM   #7
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
It could be the previous owner drove for a while with an out-of-spec alignment. Or their driving habits, inflation pressure, etc. You might never know. Now that you have new tires and alignment keep an eye on wear. I bet things wear as expected now.
Appreciate 0