BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Custom X Pipe vs Secondary Cat Bypass

06-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #23
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriverX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
ER secondaries won't clamp to primary. Tried hours still no use. Requested the company to do refund and return. Will figure some new route tomorrow.
Gintani had a similar issue installing my ER secondary's, they had to loosen up the primaries and then they managed to get them to fit after 8 hours. Then there was an issue with the ER pipes mating to the exhaust pipes they were a little too long and went past the flange on the stock pipes causing a small leak. I had to go to a different muffler shop to push the exhaust out towards the back of the car an 1/8" or so and clamp the secondaries down and finally they fit without leaking. ER is a crap company as i brought all this up to them and they told me they would call me back with a solution but never did. I figured i was the only one that had an issue as others have installed without issues but now you're the second one. I personally will never buy anything from ER again but in the end these pipes will fit you just have to install from the top down removing the stock primaries first.
I might just do something to OEM secondaries. Nothing will fit better than that and will keep OEM look.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #24
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
ER secondaries won't clamp to primary. Tried hours still no use. Requested the company to do refund and return. Will figure some new route tomorrow.
Gintani had a similar issue installing my ER secondary's, they had to loosen up the primaries and then they managed to get them to fit after 8 hours. Then there was an issue with the ER pipes mating to the exhaust pipes they were a little too long and went past the flange on the stock pipes causing a small leak. I had to go to a different muffler shop to push the exhaust out towards the back of the car an 1/8" or so and clamp the secondaries down and finally they fit without leaking. ER is a crap company as i brought all this up to them and they told me they would call me back with a solution but never did. I figured i was the only one that had an issue as others have installed without issues but now you're the second one. I personally will never buy anything from ER again but in the end these pipes will fit you just have to install from the top down removing the stock primaries first.
So stock secondaries fit like glove but ER won't. Just modified secondaries and added the dinan x pipe welded not clamped. Sound is more refined then the straight pipes setup I had but I feel more torque maybe. Will drive a little more n update. Will also post before and after video.

Also should I smell any fumes under load anytime or no?
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #25
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Quote:
So stock secondaries fit like glove but ER won't. Just gutted secondaries and added the dinan x pipe welded not clamped. Sound is more refined then the straight pipes setup I had but I feel more torque maybe. Will drive a little more n update. Will also post before and after video.

Shouldn't have any fumes with the primaries still on there, if you smell anything it might be for a couple hundred miles after gutting the secondaries its probably burning up whatever is left in there now that the ceramic core is out. Funny thing after installing the Dinan x pipe i also felt a little more low end torque but i did have the stock non comp resonator on there.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So stock secondaries fit like glove but ER won't. Just gutted secondaries and added the dinan x pipe welded not clamped. Sound is more refined then the straight pipes setup I had but I feel more torque maybe. Will drive a little more n update. Will also post before and after video.

Shouldn't have any fumes with the primaries still on there, if you smell anything it might be for a couple hundred miles after gutting the secondaries its probably burning up whatever is left in there now that the ceramic core is out. Funny thing after installing the Dinan x pipe i also felt a little more low end torque but i did have the stock non comp resonator on there.

This is my sound before the secondaries were modified and straight pipe instead of X. Sound was more raw I think which I kind a miss now. I'll post the video with new setup soon but truly miss the rawness of straight set up.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #27
m3m4tho
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 540i

How much did you pay to get your secondaries gutted? What is the difference in sound like? I would like to go that route myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:27 PM   #28
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m4tho View Post
How much did you pay to get your secondaries gutted? What is the difference in sound like? I would like to go that route myself.
I'll update more tomorrow for some reason after x pipe and modifying secondary, my exhaust is 30% quieter than before if u listen to the clip I posted. I will probably remove dinan xpipe tomorrow and go back straight and update how much modifying helped. Dinan will be up for sale in forum soon. Only used it for 24 hours.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:51 PM   #29
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

ok so you removed that box at the back of the exhaust? (gta)

we already deleted the resonators up front, andd put straight pipe.. wondering i if we should remove that last box at the back.. can you post a pic of your setup in the rear?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #30
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
ok so you removed that box at the back of the exhaust? (gta)

we already deleted the resonators up front, andd put straight pipe.. wondering i if we should remove that last box at the back.. can you post a pic of your setup in the rear?

I kept the muffler and removed the middle balance tube connecting both mufflers. And just capped the muffler. It's should looked like Remus exhaust set up. There is no connection between both exhausts they are independent.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:33 AM   #31
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll update more tomorrow for some reason after x pipe and gutting secondary my exhaust is 30% quieter than before. The clip I posted. I will probably remove dinan xpipe tomorrow and go back straight and advise of how much gutting helped. Dinan will be up for sale in forum soon. Only used it for 24 hours.
Something there doesn't make any sense, you removed two cats, and added an x pipe which is completely open pipes you should have had a gain in sound no matter what, something is off for sure
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #32
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll update more tomorrow for some reason after x pipe and gutting secondary my exhaust is 30% quieter than before. The clip I posted. I will probably remove dinan xpipe tomorrow and go back straight and advise of how much gutting helped. Dinan will be up for sale in forum soon. Only used it for 24 hours.
Something there doesn't make any sense, you removed two cats, and added an x pipe which is completely open pipes you should have had a gain in sound no matter what, something is off for sure
So free flow secondary cats & dinan x pipe in place. Car sounds deeper but less pops and toned down then running straight pipe instead of X.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It did get better today but ended up straight piping and removing dinan X. I like the straight pipe much better. More aggressive and more pops for sure. Will be posting the dinan x for sale soon.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #34
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So after reading some articles What y'all think if gutting can cause any negative affects? Only thing I can think of is expansion of gas in the gutted chamber and reduction again when it leaves the chamber. Would it cause any negative affect if any as it is not a same diameter route? Air turbulence n such causing negative affects but then that chamber existed before gutting as well. Just trying to get thoughts. Thanks

PS: My tuner at eurocharged said it would not have any affect.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #35
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So after reading some articles What y'all think if gutting can cause any negative affects? Only thing I can think of is expansion of gas in the gutted chamber and reduction again when it leaves the chamber. Would it cause any negative affect if any as it is not a same diameter route? Air turbulence n such causing negative affects but then that chamber existed before gutting as well. Just trying to get thoughts. Thanks

Won't affect performance at all, i ran gutted OEM DP's on my F06 M6 for years, and people in the Audi world have been doing it since the late 90's on the S4's. You won't see a difference on a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #36
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Won't affect performance at all, i ran gutted OEM DP's on my F06 M6 for years, and people in the Audi world have been doing it since the late 90's on the S4's. You won't see a difference on a dyno.
Good to know. That's what the tuner said as well.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #37
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good to know. That's what the tuner said as well.
I would trust what the guys at Eurocharged say. I've done a lot of work with them on my previous AMG's and they are really informative!
Appreciate 2
GTATX1104.00
F90nyc0.00
      06-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #38
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

Do you lose power when going straight pipes instead of an xpipe ? Loss of back pressure?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #39
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpowerMike View Post
Do you lose power when going straight pipes instead of an xpipe ? Loss of back pressure?
Nope car is still strong. Ran dragy today and these are the numbers. DA is still high with temps high as well. Did have some spin 1st and 2nd gear. I'm sure I can do better.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #40
MpowerMike
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 IB BMW M5

Quote:
Nope car is still strong. Ran dragy today and these are the numbers. DA is still high with temps high as well. Did have some spin 1st and 2nd gear. I'm sure I can do better.
What mods ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #41
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpowerMike View Post
Quote:
What mods ?
I pm'd u. Thanks
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #42
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ended up ordering supersprint non resonated mid pipe so I have one solid piece. I hate all the welding done so far due to adding and removing X couple of times.
Attached Images

2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #43
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Supersprint part won't be shipped till mid to end of September. Cannot find anything else online. Austin has no mandrel shops so that sucks. If anyone has nay other ideas let me know. Thanks
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #44
cailas
Private First Class
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90 2018

Maybe there are someone with full catlles +x pipe with stock catback?