BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Good bye BMW, terrible buying experience/attempt of two cars

11-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC, 2022 X5 M50I

Garage List
Good bye BMW, terrible buying experience/attempt of two cars

I am not sure if anyone from corporate monitors these forums or takes feedback. After enduring what has been the worst buying experience of my life I just had to cancel my M5 competition and X5 M50I. I have been a long time BMW enthusiast, owner and loyal family member. I currently own a 2017 Alpina B7 and owned a 2017 X5 50I but sold it when I had a "confirmed" production date to replace it which was anything but confirmed despite the promises that confirmed was set in stone. This was not going to be my first M5 either. After settling over and over again to remove options from the X5 and being told over and over again they are options "I do not really need".. Those are not the same sales tactics that were taken when I bought my M5, B7 or last X5 or any of the other cars I have owned from BMW, that I can promise. I hit an impasse though this week that was the straw that finally broke the camels back. I was patient with the "confirmed" production date for both cars getting delayed over and over to where the M5 has been moved back over 3 months and is still stated as tentative. I was patient with my wife being stuck with out a car causing her to drive mine since I was told the production date for the X5 was set in stone so we sold her X5. I was patient with the many options that had to be removed that we enjoyed in our last X5 like soft close doors, wireless charging and more. I was patient having to be the one bringing to the dealer anytime there was a reason to believe the dates may be delayed and getting told I am being influenced by a forum of people that have no idea what they are talking about, each time materialized to be delays though. My rep came to me 2 weeks after I told him of the coming delay due to B&W and acted like a hero letting me know he found it was being delayed due to B&W, the same thing he said I was crazy for believing a forum. He told me stories of delivering cars to individuals and at delivery finding out there were many features missing from HUD to power seats. Did not exactly instill confidence that I could trust him to be on top of my two cars. So when i brought to him touch screen being removed and got the same response until he checked his inbox and found many emails on the matter that was problematic. My X5 that 2 weeks prior I made a concession to drop B&W with a promise it would go straight to product and not lose more features was now losing back up assistant and touch screen and he was not going to tell me about it. My wife used touch screen everyday in her X5 and uses it in my Alpina that she is now driving due to her car being sold. I tried to work with him saying that this would be a deal breaker but if we could confirm what the problem really is so I can verify i can retrofit it I would take delivery of the car. I was fed contradicting information from him and his GM that clearly showed they do not understand Idrive and were blowing smoke. I am likely the only person in the country that has taken an NBT from a 2015 M5 and retrofitted to EVO with the 4G ATM and got it activated. That unit I could plug in touch screen or non touch and both work. I explained this to them that either it is a simple replacement of hardware otherwise there is something else they are not sharing that is causing the issue and if they could confirm that would allow me to know how to solve. They literally came back and said "It is a hardware issue, not a software issue so is not possible to retrofit". Circles were run with me asking for them to be precise in what hardware change since they said it was not just the touch screen but with emails shared from corporate included would not share details. I finally told them it is not my job to fix their problems so since they wanted to continue with lies and contradictions they can resolve or I would be passing on the car. They responded that they took my name off the car and then asked if I still wanted the M5??? Seriously?? After months of patiently waiting and all the treatment that was their response, they were going to their waitlist. The sales rep and I went back and forth for 3 weeks waiting on B&W according his suggestion to see if it cleared up. If B&W was a big deal why would they think I am ok removing more features. Corporate knew about this touch screen issue when they verified if we dropped B&W they would go right to production and decided to hold that detail back and sneak it on, pushing it on to the consumer. My dealer was complicit in blaming corporate and stating it is all their fault and they can not help me, yet they threw me aside since they have a nice long waitlist due to lack of inventory. So I cancelled both cars officially and told them if that was the route they were pushing me too I would be leaving the brand indefinitely. I received an impersonal email telling me to let them know if I ever changed my mind and then text messages from the sales rep saying I have bad information and essentially I needed to stop listening to the forums. Seriously, we were still arguing about if my information was accurate, that was his take away, wake up BMW!

This is a consolidated version of my terrible experience, I am not complaining about having an unofficial date for my M5, I am/ was fine waiting. I am not ok though with being treated like a dog, like I am lucky to be buying a BMW and should be ok being treated terribly and thank them. removing features and not telling customers, making them figure it out at delivery.. really?! I understand supply chain issues but you have to stop blaming all your terrible behavior and shortcomings on your supply chain. We the customers are no dummies, we work in production, tech, product development, shipping and more and know the issues you are facing. Ironically I am in ASIA right now working on product development and supply chain issues. Part shortages due to the many reasons they occur and how you run your business and treat the customer are two very different things.

I have sent an email to the CEO and hope someone in his office takes my email serious and offers up a solution. Honestly my treatment has been so poor I am anxious to first hear if they care, next if they want to resolve and 3rd their ideas of how they correct such a terrible experience from a loyal BMW family member.

If they do not correct then as soon as I can get my wife a new car ill be selling my Alpina B7 and F10 M5 and will sadly leave the family for life. I am as loyal as they come but am principal minded and will not tolerate this treatment. The dealership is blaming corporate saying it is all corporate and they are saints and amazing and I should feel blessed to be able to be considered to by a car from their dealership, what does BMW have to say about this?

I will update if I get a response and pray and hope that you all are having better experiences than me. I am so disappointed, my wife and I were very excited for our new cars. Buying a BMW use to be an amazing process, you felt like family, you felt special, like you mattered and got the butterflies of excitement. This has been anything but that.

Last edited by tnutt19; 11-06-2021 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnutt19 View Post
I am not sure if anyone from corporate monitors these forums or takes feedback. After enduring what has been the worst buying experience of my life I just had to cancel my M5 competition and X5 M50I. I have been a long time BMW enthusiast, owner and loyal family member. I currently own a 2017 Alpina B7 and owned a 2017 X5 50I but sold it when I had a "confirmed" production date to replace it which was anything but confirmed despite the promises that confirmed was set in stone. This was not going to be my first M5 either. After settling over and over again to remove options from the X5 and being told over and over again they are options "I do not really need".. Those are not the same sales tactics that were taken when I bought my M5, B7 or last X5 or any of the other cars I have owned from BMW, that I can promise. I hit an impasse though this week that was the straw that finally broke the camels back. I was patient with the "confirmed" production date for both cars getting delayed over and over to where the M5 has been moved back over 3 months and is still stated as tentative. I was patient with my wife being stuck with out a car causing her to drive mine since I was told the production date for the X5 was set in stone so we sold her X5. I was patient with the many options that had to be removed that we enjoyed in our last X5 like soft close doors, wireless charging and more. I was patient having to be the one bringing to the dealer anytime there was a reason to believe the dates may be delayed and getting told I am being influenced by a forum of people that have no idea what they are talking about, each time materialized to be delays though. My rep came to me 2 weeks after I told him of the coming delay due to B&W and acted like a hero letting me know he found it was being delayed due to B&W, the same thing he said I was crazy for believing a forum. He told me stories of delivering cars to individuals and at delivery finding out there were many features missing from HUD to power seats. Did not exactly instill confidence that I could trust him to be on top of my two cars. So when i brought to him touch screen being removed and got the same response until he checked his inbox and found many emails on the matter that was problematic. My X5 that 2 weeks prior I made a concession to drop B&W with a promise it would go straight to product and not lose more features was now losing back up assistant and touch screen and he was not going to tell me about it. My wife used touch screen everyday in her X5 and uses it in my Alpina that she is now driving due to her car being sold. I tried to work with him saying that this would be a deal breaker but if we could confirm what the problem really is so I can verify i can retrofit it I would take delivery of the car. I was fed contradicting information from him and his GM that clearly showed they do not understand Idrive and were blowing smoke. I am likely the only person in the country that has taken an NBT from a 2015 M5 and retrofitted to EVO with the 4G ATM and got it activated. That unit I could plug in touch screen or non touch and both work. I explained this to them that either it is a simple replacement of hardware otherwise there is something else they are not sharing that is causing the issue and if they could confirm that would allow me to know how to solve. They literally came back and said "It is a hardware issue, not a software issue so is not possible to retrofit". Circles were run with me asking for them to be precise in what hardware change since they said it was not just the touch screen but with emails shared from corporate included would not share details. I finally told them it is not my job to fix their problems so since they wanted to continue with lies and contradictions they can resolve or I would be passing on the car. They responded that they took my name off the car and then asked if I still wanted the M5??? Seriously?? After months of patiently waiting and all the treatment that was their response, they were going to their waitlist. The sales rep and I went back and forth for 3 weeks waiting on B&W according his suggestion to see if it cleared up. If B&W was a big deal why would they think I am ok removing more features. Corporate knew about this touch screen issue when they verified if we dropped B&W they would go right to production and decided to hold that detail back and sneak it on, pushing it on to the consumer. My dealer was complicit in blaming corporate and stating it is all their fault and they can not help me, yet they threw me aside since they have a nice long waitlist due to lack of inventory. So I cancelled both cars officially and told them if that was the route they were pushing me too I would be leaving the brand indefinitely. I received an impersonal email telling me to let them know if I ever changed my mind and then text messages from the sales rep saying I have bad information and essentially I needed to stop listening to the forums. Seriously, we were still arguing about if my information was accurate, that was his take away, wake up BMW!

This is a consolidated version of my terrible experience, I am not complaining about having an unofficial date for my M5, I am/ was fine waiting. I am not ok though with being treated like a dog, like I am lucky to be buying a BMW and should be ok being treated terribly and thank them. removing features and not telling customers, making them figure it out at delivery.. really?! I understand supply chain issues but you have to stop blaming all your terrible behavior and shortcomings on your supply chain. We the customers are no dummies, we work in production, tech, product development, shipping and more and know the issues you are facing. Ironically I am in ASIA right now working on product development and supply chain issues. Part shortages due to the many reasons they occur and how you run your business and treat the customer are two very different things.

I have sent an email to the CEO and hope someone in his office takes my email serious and offers up a solution. Honestly my treatment has been so poor I am anxious to first hear if they care, next if they want to resolve and 3rd their ideas of how they correct such a terrible experience from a loyal BMW family member.

If they do not correct then as soon as I can get my wife a new car ill be selling my Alpina B7 and F10 M5 and will sadly leave the family for life. I am as loyal as they come but am principal minded and will not tolerate this treatment. The dealership is blaming corporate saying it is all corporate and they are saints and amazing and I should feel blessed to be able to be considered to by a car from their dealership, what does BMW have to say about this?

I will update if I get a response and pray and hope that you all are having better experiences than me. I am so disappointed, my wife and I were very excited for our new cars. Buying a BMW use to be an amazing process, you felt like family, you felt special, like you mattered and got the butterflies of excitement. This has been anything but that.
So... let me tl;Dr this for everyone:

You sold your old car with no idea as to when you're getting a new one and you're blaming the company, not the terrible dealer.
You're combining about features being removed and production being pushed back over 3 months which would mean you had a production date estimated for 3 months ago, and instead of realizing your dealership lied their ass off to you, you still blame BMW that had nothing to do with it... (and fyi, my m5 which just arrived at the port has b&w, Order placed in August, production date of Oct 6) the m5s only got moved back for some people with later production dates if they were adamant on keeping b&w in which case bmw moved back production to see if they could add it back on. Others have opted to remove b&w and are now expecting their car or have even gotten theirs.

I'm honestly hoping the ceo returns your "I don't wanna be a bmw customer anymore" with a "we don't want customers like you" as one manufacturer famously said in the past. You did end up realizing the dealership you're dealing with is terrible and yet here you are trying to blame people that have nothing to do with it... I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership just wanted you our of their hair to sell those cars to someone else with a nice mark-up assuming you got a decent deal on them. Sad to say, but not every dealership is created equal. I was able to retain all my m5 features, even add options not on the VIA (carbon fiber bits, including kidney grilles which are limited in stock), get a confirmed production date (they had to trade with a dealership in Iowa when bmw decided to pull one of their allocations which was supposed to be mine, initially a week 39 production, they managed to find me a week 40 instead) if your dealer wanted you to have a car and wanted you as a customer they'd have made it happen, it's not hard to find a car that's either spelled the way you want, or at least a production slot that they could trade with someone else to move your car forward. My best guess is they didn't even have a slot for you and they kept pushing things back in hopes bmw gave them one. And if you want to confirm anything I said, talk to bmw on Twitter and they'll work with you to figure stuff out.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

this sounds like a dealership problem mainly. sorry you went thru this, but alot of others are going thru the same crap. just order and wait.. thats all you can do.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post

You sold your old car with no idea as to when you're getting a new one and you're blaming the company, not the terrible dealer.
You're combining about features being removed and production being pushed back over 3 months which would mean you had a production date estimated for 3 months ago, and instead of realizing your dealership lied their ass off to you, you still blame BMW that had nothing to do with it... (and fyi, my m5 which just arrived at the port has b&w, Order placed in August, production date of Oct 6) the m5s only got moved back for some people with later production dates if they were adamant on keeping b&w in which case bmw moved back production to see if they could add it back on. Others have opted to remove b&w and are now expecting their car or have even gotten theirs.

I'm honestly hoping the ceo returns your "I don't wanna be a bmw customer anymore" with a "we don't want customers like you" as one manufacturer famously said in the past. You did end up realizing the dealership you're dealing with is terrible and yet here you are trying to blame people that have nothing to do with it... I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership just wanted you our of their hair to sell those cars to someone else with a nice mark-up assuming you got a decent deal on them. Sad to say, but not every dealership is created equal. I was able to retain all my m5 features, even add options not on the VIA (carbon fiber bits, including kidney grilles which are limited in stock), get a confirmed production date (they had to trade with a dealership in Iowa when bmw decided to pull one of their allocations which was supposed to be mine, initially a week 39 production, they managed to find me a week 40 instead) if your dealer wanted you to have a car and wanted you as a customer they'd have made it happen, it's not hard to find a car that's either spelled the way you want, or at least a production slot that they could trade with someone else to move your car forward. My best guess is they didn't even have a slot for you and they kept pushing things back in hopes bmw gave them one. And if you want to confirm anything I said, talk to bmw on Twitter and they'll work with you to figure stuff out.
Not gonna lie, but ever your TL;DR summary was TL;DR

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 8
      11-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post

What???
Appreciate 1
OC_M3CX611.00
      11-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:

What???
The real TL : DR: I didn't get what I wanted when I wanted nor was I treated they way I feel entitled to, so now BMW's CEO owes me an explanation.
Appreciate 6
      11-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Wine and dine> Whine and pine
      11-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Yeah... only the first paragraph and a half was the tldr the rest was my commentary 🤣🤣
Appreciate 2
Ex_Stig2594.00
Seedster2274.00
      11-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #9
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Interesting takes at my experience but incorrect. That is their choice if they don’t want me as a customer but would be very short sighted. I’m not sure how getting what I ordered and expecting honesty makes me an unreasonable customer. It’s a lousy buying experience to show up and find out your BMW doesn’t have power seats because the dealer failed to disclose and that is the type of stuff going on. Feel amateurish to me for this to be happening at BMW. As far as blaming the brand, as mentioning in my post, the dealer is pointing fingers at BMW and blaming them and my experience as terrible so I’m going to give bmw a chance to show it was the dealer but if it was indeed BMW that would be a lot to swallow.
I did have allocation, and confirmed production dates for both. My sales rep sent me the screen shots confirming. That is great you got your car with B&W but if you read the B&W thread you will find a lot others did not and I was one of them, even with a week 40 production. I’m disappointed I sold our car with which wasn’t truly a concrete confirmed production date even though I saw the screen shot showing it was but that is what it is, I am more disappointed with the treatment and lies. If you feel that is good fir the brand to tolerate that behavior then what a shame, I think everyone deserves better personally which is why I am reaching out to BMW.
They are being short sighted. I caught them in lies and instead of dealing with it they pulled my allocations and gave them away. Like I said in my post, everyone has a waitlist now and someone will be fine with the concessions but the day will come when those are gone and they once again need us. Your approach of not not wanting me because I expect honest and integrity would be a pretty poor business decision. I am not a first time bmw owner, I am in my mid 30s, completely debt free with a good job and a taste for nice cars. They wouldn’t be losing two car sales, you can do the math of how many cars they really would be passing on and I’m one customer, a lot are feeling the way I am.

BMW use to sell a buying experience, all I am saying is that seams to be in jeopardy now and your answer to someone that is ringing the bell is we don’t want you, laughable!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #10
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting takes at my experience but incorrect. That is their choice if they don’t want me as a customer but would be very short sighted. I’m not sure how getting what I ordered and expecting honesty makes me an unreasonable customer. It’s a lousy buying experience to show up and find out your BMW doesn’t have power seats because the dealer failed to disclose and that is the type of stuff going on. Feel amateurish to me for this to be happening at BMW. As far as blaming the brand, as mentioning in my post, the dealer is pointing fingers at BMW and blaming them and my experience as terrible so I’m going to give bmw a chance to show it was the dealer but if it was indeed BMW that would be a lot to swallow.
I did have allocation, and confirmed production dates for both. My sales rep sent me the screen shots confirming. That is great you got your car with B&W but if you read the B&W thread you will find a lot others did not and I was one of them, even with a week 40 production. I’m disappointed I sold our car with which wasn’t truly a concrete confirmed production date even though I saw the screen shot showing it was but that is what it is, I am more disappointed with the treatment and lies. If you feel that is good fir the brand to tolerate that behavior then what a shame, I think everyone deserves better personally which is why I am reaching out to BMW.
They are being short sighted. I caught them in lies and instead of dealing with it they pulled my allocations and gave them away. Like I said in my post, everyone has a waitlist now and someone will be fine with the concessions but the day will come when those are gone and they once again need us. Your approach of not not wanting me because I expect honest and integrity would be a pretty poor business decision. I am not a first time bmw owner, I am in my mid 30s, completely debt free with a good job and a taste for nice cars. They wouldn’t be losing two car sales, you can do the math of how many cars they really would be passing on and I’m one customer, a lot are feeling the way I am.

BMW use to sell a buying experience, all I am saying is that seams to be in jeopardy now and your answer to someone that is ringing the bell is we don’t want you, laughable!
Not sure how to break the news to you... but half the time these higher end bmws are sold before they even start production, and the ones that aren't sell within days of them hitting dealerships.... like you said they have a waitlist, they couldn't care less if you decide to not buy a car... what is your x5 compared to the 400k+ x cars they make a year? Nothing that's what it is. You clearly said the dealership lied and yet you're still blaming the company that has announced what the changes were and what was going to happen. Every manufacturer is facing chip shortages and delays, bmw tried their best to not have them impact production in any meaningful way and still pump out the same volume of cars, which means they ran out of certain things such as b&w and touch screens and what not. If your car had truly been confirmed and supposed to enter production months ago you wouldn't be having this issue. What I suspect and I'd honestly love to see those screenshots, is that those are proposed production dates and not confirmed production dates sort of like my screenshot. A requested production date with no available quota.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #11
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Reading through your post again, I am sorry if I came across that I was blaming BMW for the deeds of my dealer. I wrote that post from a really frustrated place being a loyal member of the family, having purchased many flagship cars but I was not blaming BMW for me selling my car, I was blaming the process that the dealer was managing, however that is not really the issue. The way I was treated with misinformation at every turn was the problem. I would take a concern that would materialize and each time the dealer would say you can not believe the web of lies, then would go research it and come back and confirm my issue.

I did have allocation, you got very lucky to get your M5 with B&W, had I removed that option I would have been fine and gotten it but I was in less of a hurry for the M5 so was rolling the dice I would get it. The bigger rush was to replace my wifes X5.

I feel like you skimmed over my post, I was clear about what happened with the dealer but for some reason you want to make me out to be the bad guy. I had production slots for both, I got my orders in first and was first in line. I called out why they werent concerned about losing me as a customer, short sightedness, long waitlist. Everytime I talked to my rep he would vent about talking to customers all day and would read me the bulletins that BMW sent out with all the products impacted and then vent about how BMW could do the things they are doing removing so many features from different cars. This is a 20 year guy. I know he didnt want to deal with it and it became easier for them to go to the waitlist. They needed to sell the cars and frankly I think they wanted to remove B&W from the M5 so they could get that in sooner to sell as well. All I am saying is it is very shortsighted to handle a customer in that way and the day will come will it will matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #12
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Reading through your post again, I am sorry if I came across that I was blaming BMW for the deeds of my dealer. I wrote that post from a really frustrated place being a loyal member of the family, having purchased many flagship cars but I was not blaming BMW for me selling my car, I was blaming the process that the dealer was managing, however that is not really the issue. The way I was treated with misinformation at every turn was the problem. I would take a concern that would materialize and each time the dealer would say you can not believe the web of lies, then would go research it and come back and confirm my issue.

I did have allocation, you got very lucky to get your M5 with B&W, had I removed that option I would have been fine and gotten it but I was in less of a hurry for the M5 so was rolling the dice I would get it. The bigger rush was to replace my wifes X5.

I feel like you skimmed over my post, I was clear about what happened with the dealer but for some reason you want to make me out to be the bad guy. I had production slots for both, I got my orders in first and was first in line. I called out why they werent concerned about losing me as a customer, short sightedness, long waitlist. Everytime I talked to my rep he would vent about talking to customers all day and would read me the bulletins that BMW sent out with all the products impacted and then vent about how BMW could do the things they are doing removing so many features from different cars. This is a 20 year guy. I know he didnt want to deal with it and it became easier for them to go to the waitlist. They needed to sell the cars and frankly I think they wanted to remove B&W from the M5 so they could get that in sooner to sell as well. All I am saying is it is very shortsighted to handle a customer in that way and the day will come will it will matter.
Indeed, but it will matter more for the dealership than anything... for example here in NJ, I went to 10 dealerships before ordering my car, some told me lies, some wanted excessive pricing, and some straight up promised me things that couldn't be done.... (had one tell me they didn't have an allocation, but that since my car is so expensive and fully loaded the press department would give them one since it'll look good and they can take pictures... what a load of crap that was!) That screenshot I posted is from another dealership saying they had an allocation and I was good to go but again no prod nr nothing... dealers will say whatever they want to get you in the door then try to figure shit out once you're there unfortunately.... another dealership just completely ignored me because I'm a 20 yo kid that's buying a 170k car... probably thought I couldn't afford it and was wasting time... I even went to one that was recommended to me by someone who's bought 5 cars from them, same thing not a call back nothing, I called them and left messages after messages to no avail. Which is why I'm saying some people are just gonna be like that, some dealers are just shit. I'm not trying to pin you as the bad guy, I'm just saying with the sales volume of these cars, bmw doesn't have enough production to meet demand so you not buying a BMW doesn't affect them, its like how your one vote won't affect the overall election. You need giant groups to affect or change anything. Now that dealership? That's another story, you leaving a bad review and detailing your experience and never buying a car from them again and possibly swaying a few more people away? That'll possibly hurt them but bmw as a whole? Just look at how many people jump on these cars at over msrp...

As for my b&w, I did sort of luck out but at the same time made an informed decision to make sure I'd keep it among rumors they were removing options. If you order any individual color or option on the vehicle, once they submit it, it locks into production with no further modifications permitted after 7 days. So my build got locked in due to my paint and piano black finish. Why did I know this and why did I opt for the individual paint? Well I was leaning towards it or red, once my SA told me about potential shortages and stuff and explained it would lock in my production I pulled the trigger. I'm just saying your SA just wasn't good and the dealership didn't handle themselves all that well...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure how to break the news to you... but half the time these higher end bmws are sold before they even start production, and the ones that aren't sell within days of them hitting dealerships.... like you said they have a waitlist, they couldn't care less if you decide to not buy a car... what is your x5 compared to the 400k+ x cars they make a year? Nothing that's what it is. You clearly said the dealership lied and yet you're still blaming the company that has announced what the changes were and what was going to happen. Every manufacturer is facing chip shortages and delays, bmw tried their best to not have them impact production in any meaningful way and still pump out the same volume of cars, which means they ran out of certain things such as b&w and touch screens and what not. If your car had truly been confirmed and supposed to enter production months ago you wouldn't be having this issue. What I suspect and I'd honestly love to see those screenshots, is that those are proposed production dates and not confirmed production dates sort of like my screenshot. A requested production date with no available quota.
My production dates are all marked confirmed, the B&W issue delayed them both when it hit "out of no where" according to BMW genius and my dealer. Again the dealer is blaming BMW, so I am asking BMW to make it right. This would be easy for them to do so. Agreed on why they dont care to lose me, waitlist today, will not have that tomorrow, which is why that is shortsighted.

MY X5 still had a confirmed production date for week 40 at week 36 and 37 then got delayed. My M5 the same but then had the production date pulled. At this point though it doesnt matter, a couple of you have me pinned as the bad guy for voicing my lousy experience in which the dealer is blaming BMW so as a longtime member of the family I am asking BMW to make it right.

I understand part shortages, I am in ASIA right now dealing with this for our business. It will be worst next year with China shutting down plants through most of Q1 for Lunar new year and the Olympics. I am not some mis informed buyer. I am not going to argue back and forth about if I really had allocation or a confirmed production date, to what point. You guys want me to be the bad guy so thats fine, I just expect more from my buying experience and dont see why everyone wouldnt expect the same. I recognize it is likely the dealer I am dealing with and if that is the case then corporate should be able to help. If not then they are just cars, not the end of the world if I have to go a different route or if I just end up keeping the Alpina B7 a little longer than planned. They wont miss me today but they sure will tomorrow, along with the many others they would be treating this way but lets hope they have more sense then the few of you that wrote me off already
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Indeed, but it will matter more for the dealership than anything... for example here in NJ, I went to 10 dealerships before ordering my car, some told me lies, some wanted excessive pricing, and some straight up promised me things that couldn't be done.... (had one tell me they didn't have an allocation, but that since my car is so expensive and fully loaded the press department would give them one since it'll look good and they can take pictures... what a load of crap that was!) That screenshot I posted is from another dealership saying they had an allocation and I was good to go but again no prod nr nothing... dealers will say whatever they want to get you in the door then try to figure shit out once you're there unfortunately.... another dealership just completely ignored me because I'm a 20 yo kid that's buying a 170k car... probably thought I couldn't afford it and was wasting time... I even went to one that was recommended to me by someone who's bought 5 cars from them, same thing not a call back nothing, I called them and left messages after messages to no avail. Which is why I'm saying some people are just gonna be like that, some dealers are just shit. I'm not trying to pin you as the bad guy, I'm just saying with the sales volume of these cars, bmw doesn't have enough production to meet demand so you not buying a BMW doesn't affect them, its like how your one vote won't affect the overall election. You need giant groups to affect or change anything. Now that dealership? That's another story, you leaving a bad review and detailing your experience and never buying a car from them again and possibly swaying a few more people away? That'll possibly hurt them but bmw as a whole? Just look at how many people jump on these cars at over msrp...
I dont disagree with anything you are saying. The point of my review is not to pull people away from the brand but rather to express the extent of my lousy experience and frankly because I would prefer not to leave the brand. Someone else said to me to not let a lousy dealer soil the brand for me and I am trying to do that but need a little help from corporate after my expereince.
Thanks for the comments, and you get short sightedness, the cost to acquire a new customer is much more expensive than to retain them. BMW executive group knows this and they have hefty growth numbers to meet which is why it should matter to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:47 PM   #15
neoprufrok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Having bought many many cars... BMW dealers have consistently been the worst of the German brands to deal with. The cars and the manufacturer themselves have nothing to do with this - but the dealer.. that's another story. It doesn't simply relate to cars being in high demand either. Porsche's are in high demand but they consistently do better to me than BMW. Bad apples in Porsche's dealers too, but not as numerous as I've dealt with with BMW.

That said, having tried a lot of dealers, I've coalesced around 1-2 that do a great job and treat me well.
2018 Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and Akrapovic
2018 BMW Yas Marina Blue M4 Competition Convertible
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I dont disagree with anything you are saying. The point of my review is not to pull people away from the brand but rather to express the extent of my lousy experience and frankly because I would prefer not to leave the brand. Someone else said to me to not let a lousy dealer soil the brand for me and I am trying to do that but need a little help from corporate after my expereince.
Thanks for the comments, and you get short sightedness, the cost to acquire a new customer is much more expensive than to retain them. BMW executive group knows this and they have hefty growth numbers to meet which is why it should matter to them.
Unfortunately, corporate will at most tell you to go place an order with a different dealership or tell you they'll talk to your current one... most likely advice you those options that are missing will be back mid 2022 and you can place an order then. Been there done that. If they gave out free stuff to everyone that complained, they'd be out of money by now, and if they give you something for your bad experience everyone will start to expect the same which is why it won't happen. Look at my above post that you quoted and I edited about my experience with the dealers... even my current one, bmw corporate technically dropped the ball with a certain feature I wanted and they basically told me: you can special order another car if you want, but it won't have the b&w. If you expect then to magically give you a car with your desired options? They can't make the parts appear from thin air. Honestly your best bet is to find the cars at another dealership that are in transit and haven't been sold and are as close to the spec you want. Which your dealership should be able to do, but I doubt they're willing to as that can cost them money.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoprufrok View Post
Having bought many many cars... BMW dealers have consistently been the worst of the German brands to deal with. The cars and the manufacturer themselves have nothing to do with this - but the dealer.. that's another story. It doesn't simply relate to cars being in high demand either. Porsche's are in high demand but they consistently do better to me than BMW. Bad apples in Porsche's dealers too, but not as numerous as I've dealt with with BMW.

That said, having tried a lot of dealers, I've coalesced around 1-2 that do a great job and treat me well.
Dealers I'm general are terrible... I finally found one that is pretty good, but that's rare... my experience with porche has been complete opposite... walk in get ignored ask to test drive a car sorry we don't have any cars available, as I'm looking out the window to a full lot of cars lol but hey that's why you don't judge a book by its cover... and I really put that saying to the test as a 20 yo that dresses in basketball shorts and graphic tees no matter what weather or what the occasion. If you treat me well great! If not grgreat! I can easily take my money elsewhere. For example I'm still waiting to hear back from aston martin of Atlanta for a price for my aston I want... it's been like 4 months since I submitted the form... so I know where I'm not buying my new aston
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 05:19 PM   #18
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, corporate will at most tell you to go place an order with a different dealership or tell you they'll talk to your current one... most likely advice you those options that are missing will be back mid 2022 and you can place an order then. Been there done that. If they gave out free stuff to everyone that complained, they'd be out of money by now, and if they give you something for your bad experience everyone will start to expect the same which is why it won't happen. Look at my above post that you quoted and I edited about my experience with the dealers... even my current one, bmw corporate technically dropped the ball with a certain feature I wanted and they basically told me: you can special order another car if you want, but it won't have the b&w. If you expect then to magically give you a car with your desired options? They can't make the parts appear from thin air. Honestly your best bet is to find the cars at another dealership that are in transit and haven't been sold and are as close to the spec you want. Which your dealership should be able to do, but I doubt they're willing to as that can cost them money.
I do not expect anything for free. I just want to be treated with honesty and respect. At this point I think I would settle for them providing allocation with another dealer, I called another dealer closer to me to see if I got better vibes and would be open to giving that a shot. I reached out to my current dealer and put my tail between my legs and asked if there was anything I could do to get my allocation and unfortunately it was confirmed that they did indeed give them away and were not bluffing so no easy decision not to work with them.
I am not expecting much from BMW but if they could provide allocation to another dealer I think that would be sufficient, it would be nice to get the same negotiated rate off but I am pretty sure that is not going to happen now that it is different times vs when I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #19
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I do not expect anything for free. I just want to be treated with honesty and respect. At this point I think I would settle for them providing allocation with another dealer, I called another dealer closer to me to see if I got better vibes and would be open to giving that a shot. I reached out to my current dealer and put my tail between my legs and asked if there was anything I could do to get my allocation and unfortunately it was confirmed that they did indeed give them away and were not bluffing so no easy decision not to work with them.
I am not expecting much from BMW but if they could provide allocation to another dealer I think that would be sufficient, it would be nice to get the same negotiated rate off but I am pretty sure that is not going to happen now that it is different times vs when I ordered.
You have zero chance of BMWNA providing any support in getting you another allocation after you willfully cancelled yours.

Lesson learned. Hopefully.

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 05:50 PM   #20
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dealers I'm general are terrible... I finally found one that is pretty good, but that's rare... my experience with porche has been complete opposite... walk in get ignored ask to test drive a car sorry we don't have any cars available, as I'm looking out the window to a full lot of cars lol but hey that's why you don't judge a book by its cover... and I really put that saying to the test as a 20 yo that dresses in basketball shorts and graphic tees no matter what weather or what the occasion. If you treat me well great! If not grgreat! I can easily take my money elsewhere. For example I'm still waiting to hear back from aston martin of Atlanta for a price for my aston I want... it's been like 4 months since I submitted the form... so I know where I'm not buying my new aston
Your example reminds me of when I was 21 and didnt have 2 dimes to rub together. I just had finished doing a few years of service work down in South America for free and literally was starting out as a college student at 21 with just a little bit of school done I finished during high school. I was in Newport with a friends family and we went to a high end watch store where they had watches from 1k to 500k. I was trying on a 40k Rolex for fun and they were as nice as could be and when I left they gave me their card and so forth. I walked away confused at how nice they treated me and then realized it was because of your situation, you never know who has the money and in the end it is about treating people right. Now I was certainly not expecting over the top coddling but that example has made an impression on me and the service I try to provide to other in my employment and overall how I try to treat others. Sorry to hear your experience, you dress how I do, comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #21
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You have zero chance of BMWNA providing any support in getting you another allocation after you willfully cancelled yours.

They were really pulled from me as I learned today when I reached out to the dealer. For the X5 they told me initially they took it away and then asked if I wanted to get on the list to order again in the future and then asked if I still wanted the M5 so I guess technically I did pull the M5 but then again it wasnt much of an allocation as they showed me. I suppose we will see what they can do right and if nothing then life goes on but still believe in giving them a chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #22
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

They were really pulled from me as I learned today when I reached out to the dealer. For the X5 they told me initially they took it away and then asked if I wanted to get on the list to order again in the future and then asked if I still wanted the M5 so I guess technically I did pull the M5 but then again it wasnt much of an allocation as they showed me. I suppose we will see what they can do right and if nothing then life goes on but still believe in giving them a chance.
You said you are in AZ, right? What dealership did you go through?

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
HUM5INT284.50