BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    My build timeline

10-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

My build timeline

I placed an order at the dealership on 8/20

The dates on the "Order Modification Confirmation Dealer" sheet were as follows:

Req. Prod: 2021/08/31
Sub. Prod: 2021/08/31
Conf. Prod: 2021/09/36

Order received on 8/20
Production started 09/09
Hit the boat 10/10
Landed at port in Baltimore 10/22

There's currently a stop sell, the dealer says it's a chip for the radio. Dealer says it shouldn't take long.

I ordered the B&W audio and it was removed by BMW from the build I assume due to a shortage of components.

Hope this is helpful.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Are you still in Texas? It is strange it would land in Baltimore.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Nope. Ohio. Moved and didn't change the profile here. Good catch.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Quote:
Nope. Ohio. Moved and didn't change the profile here. Good catch.
Wow Texas to Ohio. No more good Tex-Mex, no Pappadeaux, BBQ??? What were you thinking?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
scottie46
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63 / F80 M3 x2 / 991.2CS

My 2022 M5C, has been on the status of "AT THE PORT" for two days. Any idea on how long until it gets on a ship?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C, 2020 Tesla Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie46 View Post
My 2022 M5C, has been on the status of "AT THE PORT" for two days. Any idea on how long until it gets on a ship?
Mine sat on the docks for about six days, but that was to the east coast. Looks like you're SoCal so could be different. There are only 1-2 carriers for west coast deliveries, so you could look that up, then look at their schedules and probably get a pretty good idea when it will be leaving Bremerhaven.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The dates on the "Order Modification Confirmation Dealer" sheet were as follows:

Order received on 8/20
Production started 09/09
Hit the boat 10/10

There's currently a stop sell, the dealer says it's a chip for the radio. Dealer says it shouldn't take long.

I ordered the B&W audio and it was removed by BMW from the build I assume due to a shortage of components.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for sharing the timeline - that's pretty good, all things considered.

I'm in the same "boat" about being told BMW "removed" B&W from my build - but I believe there's another member on here who's car is on the same boat as mine and he did get his with B&W. So frustrating to have such inconsistent info on that.

Even more frustrating to have a stop sale on the cars WITHOUT the B&W due to apparent microprocessor shortages impacting the entertainment system (sooooo - how B&W is B&W if you get what I'm saying)....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow Texas to Ohio. No more good Tex-Mex, no Pappadeaux, BBQ??? What were you thinking?
The BBQ I can do myself. But the loss of good tex-mex was a killer. It was a great career opportunity. Possibly one of 2 or 3 places in the country that allows me to work at this level in the industry I am in. Overall there are some things in Dallas I really miss, but it's been a great move.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #9
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The BMW site changed to "in transit" 2 days after it was on the boat and left the port. It's not an instant update.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:00 AM   #10
scottie46
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSea70 View Post
Mine sat on the docks for about six days, but that was to the east coast. Looks like you're SoCal so could be different. There are only 1-2 carriers for west coast deliveries, so you could look that up, then look at their schedules and probably get a pretty good idea when it will be leaving Bremerhaven.
Appreciate ya!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:02 AM   #11
scottie46
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The BMW site changed to "in transit" 2 days after it was on the boat and left the port. It's not an instant update.
Good to know. I’ve been refreshing my computer about every 15 minutes hoping it changes lol. I promised myself I’d never order another car just due to the torture of having to wait, but you know how that goes lol
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:17 AM   #12
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:

Order received on 8/20
Production started 09/09
Hit the boat 10/10

Hope this is helpful.
It's so weird how close together our orders are... mine "began production" on the 21st of September, scheduled for production sep 2nd, Order received on Aug 5.

Finished production Oct 6, on a boat 16th, scheduled to be in SC on the 31st but it's being delayed in Baltimore due to weather. So funny thing is: I have b&w, it's still there, cars coming with it. I was gonna cancel the order due to some issues and was told a new one wouldn't have it, but somehow mine got it and people getting their cars before me don't.

Same stop sale btw, please update how long it takes!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
It's so weird how close together our orders are... mine "began production" on the 21st of September, scheduled for production sep 2nd, Order received on Aug 5.

Finished production Oct 6, on a boat 16th, scheduled to be in SC on the 31st but it's being delayed in Baltimore due to weather. So funny thing is: I have b&w, it's still there, cars coming with it. I was gonna cancel the order due to some issues and was told a new one wouldn't have it, but somehow mine got it and people getting their cars before me don't.

Same stop sale btw, please update how long it takes!
You and I should compare notes on our builds. (and you mention SC - are you taking delivery at the performance delivery center? - if so might see you there).

Our cars are on the same boat - so I'd really love to compare notes with you on your build and the discussions you had with your local dealer about B&W sound. In my case, I ordered in mid July, was a week 36, got pushed to 40, got pushed back to order received and was then told by my CA that B&W was removed by BMW. At that point I went back to scheduled and my week 40 build moved forward per normal schedule. During all of that I added two more options to my build with no impact on schedule (carbon brakes and port installed performance exhaust). Other than that - I'm a pretty standard "loaded" build, only thing I'm missing is sunroof and M drivers pack, no individual options.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #14
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You and I should compare notes on our builds. (and you mention SC - are you taking delivery at the performance delivery center? - if so might see you there).

Our cars are on the same boat - so I'd really love to compare notes with you on your build and the discussions you had with your local dealer about B&W sound. In my case, I ordered in mid July, was a week 36, got pushed to 40, got pushed back to order received and was then told by my CA that B&W was removed by BMW. At that point I went back to scheduled and my week 40 build moved forward per normal schedule. During all of that I added two more options to my build with no impact on schedule (carbon brakes and port installed performance exhaust). Other than that - I'm a pretty standard "loaded" build, only thing I'm missing is sunroof and M drivers pack, no individual options.
Yep performance center delivery!

I told them I wanted everything, even laser lights that I later found out bmw could have done so this is why I was about to cancel my order... they want an astronomical price for adding them to the m5 but I was ok with that.

I ordered on 7/15, was told dealer had a second allocation coming, turns out bmw pulled it last minute lol so they traded a x7 slot they had for an m5 slot in the mid-west (iowa). Week 39 build. Got the production nr on Aug 5 and locked in my final options Aug 11 (I do have individual frozen bluestone and piano black interior, have every option except for carbon brakes and exhaust including all CF parts and M drivers pack). My order eventually at some point became week 40 estimated completion 10/06, and yeah that was that... basically they told me because I had an individual optioned car, my build got locked on aug18th well before the shortage started, so they couldn't go in and modify anything anymore (I was having doubts about the interior color but I didn't know I was stuck with it already!) So had I wanted to change anything I'd have had to cancel this and order a new one without b&w. So in some respects I got lucky hahaha. Someone from the same dealership that ordered before me in June had his pushed back to week 45 because he was fighting to try to keep his b&w and he was scheduled for week 36 before that.

Edit: any idea if there are any incentives available right now that bmw is offering? Like usually you can get a good 5-7k off msrp not sure if you know anything going on rn.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep performance center delivery!

I told them I wanted everything, even laser lights that I later found out bmw could have done so this is why I was about to cancel my order... they want an astronomical price for adding them to the m5 but I was ok with that.

I ordered on 7/15, was told dealer had a second allocation coming, turns out bmw pulled it last minute lol so they traded a x7 slot they had for an m5 slot in the mid-west (iowa). Week 39 build. Got the production nr on Aug 5 and locked in my final options Aug 11 (I do have individual frozen bluestone and piano black interior, have every option except for carbon brakes and exhaust including all CF parts and M drivers pack). My order eventually at some point became week 40 estimated completion 10/06, and yeah that was that... basically they told me because I had an individual optioned car, my build got locked on aug18th well before the shortage started, so they couldn't go in and modify anything anymore (I was having doubts about the interior color but I didn't know I was stuck with it already!) So had I wanted to change anything I'd have had to cancel this and order a new one without b&w. So in some respects I got lucky hahaha. Someone from the same dealership that ordered before me in June had his pushed back to week 45 because he was fighting to try to keep his b&w and he was scheduled for week 36 before that.

Edit: any idea if there are any incentives available right now that bmw is offering? Like usually you can get a good 5-7k off msrp not sure if you know anything going on rn.
Well maybe we'll meet up at the PCD. Though I did add the M performance exhaust (even though that too shows as unorderable, my CA was able to get it) so I'm told that's going to hold me at the VPC for an extra 2-3 weeks.

Our build timelines are similar - but makes sense that your order locked sooner because of the individual options and hence why you got your B&W and I did not. I suspect, based on what other members have seen lately that perhaps pulling the option has taken pressure off demand which has allowed some of these previously delayed builds to move forward. While I'm disappointed I'm not getting B&W in mine, I'm hoping the MPE will make up for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #16
scottie46
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just heard from my salesman today. There's a Stop Sale on mine for "Receiver Audio Module". He said they have the part to fix it, so perhaps it will only cause a week delay. Anyone else experiencing this if you're car is at the port in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Just heard from my salesman today. There's a Stop Sale on mine for "Receiver Audio Module". He said they have the part to fix it, so perhaps it will only cause a week delay. Anyone else experiencing this if you're car is at the port in Germany?

check m3 side of forum. your head will spin
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same here but mine is held in Baltimore.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #19
HUM5INT
HUM5INT
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 Competition LCI

Quote:
Mine stayed at the German port for about an extra 3-5 days to fix the chip. This was in the first week of July.
4) '12 550 M-Sport; Exterior: Alpine White
INSTAGRAM: hum5int
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:54 AM   #20
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well maybe we'll meet up at the PCD. Though I did add the M performance exhaust (even though that too shows as unorderable, my CA was able to get it) so I'm told that's going to hold me at the VPC for an extra 2-3 weeks.

Our build timelines are similar - but makes sense that your order locked sooner because of the individual options and hence why you got your B&W and I did not. I suspect, based on what other members have seen lately that perhaps pulling the option has taken pressure off demand which has allowed some of these previously delayed builds to move forward. While I'm disappointed I'm not getting B&W in mine, I'm hoping the MPE will make up for it.
Haha maybe, my car should be getting off the boat currently in brunswick unless it's getting off at Charleston (gonna call bmw and ask for destination port) then off to the races to see how quickly they can install every port installed option other than the exhaust lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #21
MackSea70
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha maybe, my car should be getting off the boat currently in brunswick unless it's getting off at Charleston (gonna call bmw and ask for destination port) then off to the races to see how quickly they can install every port installed option other than the exhaust lol...
As far as I know, performance center deliveries are offloaded at Charleston, not Brunswick.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #22
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know, performance center deliveries are offloaded at Charleston, not Brunswick.
There's reports of both, since apparently the Charleston factory isn't very well equipped at adding port installed options and brjnseick is designed for it... but I can confirm mine was unloaded at Charleston.
Appreciate 0