BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    2018 F90 Base vs 2018 E63S. Older cars but new review.

08-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
dayone
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5 F90

M5 owner/driver here. Was really fun working with Dan on this and really enjoyed the morning at the airstrip. I don't often get to stretch the legs on my F90 so it was worth the trip for me.

Certainly the M5 Comp would have been a better comparison but he used what was available and I was happy to leave at 3:30AM from NY to help with this content. If you've ever wondered what goes into this, I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm also not the most experienced driver but I tried my best for all the M5s out there! Times are linked in the video but ended up with an 11.08@127.33 in the quarter mile winning by .1 seconds .
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:20 AM   #2
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
e92hunter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayone View Post

M5 owner/driver here. Was really fun working with Dan on this and really enjoyed the morning at the airstrip. I don't often get to stretch the legs on my F90 so it was worth the trip for me.

Certainly the M5 Comp would have been a better comparison but he used what was available and I was happy to leave at 3:30AM from NY to help with this content. If you've ever wondered what goes into this, I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm also not the most experienced driver but I tried my best for all the M5s out there! Times are linked in the video but ended up with an 11.08@127.33 in the quarter mile winning by .1 seconds .
How many times did you use LC previously? Do you still have QS3? What kind of tires were you running?

Little surprised he pulled you on the rolls, I've ran 2 E63s and pulled on them top end.
Appreciate 1
dayone6.00
      08-12-2021, 11:51 PM   #4
dayone
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92hunter View Post
Quote:

How many times did you use LC previously? Do you still have QS3? What kind of tires were you running?

Little surprised he pulled you on the rolls, I've ran 2 E63s and pulled on them top end.
Quote:
Quote:

The video cut a bunch of runs, ofc. We did the rolls first, 3 or 4 if them back to back, sometimes waiting for airplanes to taxi, then we did 3 from a dig. I used LC for each of those. The very first run the E63S pulled on me in AWD Sport in the most aggressive non manual shifting. After the very first run the merc became progressively slower to the point there wasn't a reason to continue. Overall I didnt feel like I could pull on the E63S at the top end if it's running well but certainly I could have missed something in my settings.

I'm using not the freshest PS 4Ss.

What is QS3? (Quick shift 3rd setting?)

Another minimal point is that the merc was running less than a quarter of a tank and I was full.

The link in the video should have the best times. I'm listed as the 2018 M5 comp on row 27:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...QWeaY/htmlview
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
e92hunter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 M5

Quote:
The video cut a bunch of runs, ofc. We did the rolls first, 3 or 4 if them back to back, sometimes waiting for airplanes to taxi, then we did 3 from a dig. I used LC for each of those. The very first run the E63S pulled on me in AWD Sport in the most aggressive non manual shifting. After the very first run the merc became progressively slower to the point there wasn't a reason to continue. Overall I didnt feel like I could pull on the E63S at the top end if it's running well but certainly I could have missed something in my settings.

Another minimal point is that the merc was running less than a quarter of a tank and I was full.

The link in the video should have the best times. I'm listed as the 2018 M5 comp on row 27:

Yes QS3 is the programming on our ZF8s (and other BMWs). The transmission only has 100(?) "hard" launches at the fastest setting. After the 100 launches, you will still be able to launch but it will not enable QS3 for the fastest shifts possible. There is no indicator on this so you will not know unless you count your launches.

Wish you guys had the same fuel load and octane. Maybe try experimenting with octanes if you get another chance, I've done 100-91 mix to get 93 and it works well since we don't get 93 in SoCal.

Tires also plays a big part in this, obviously more so for your dig runs.

Nevertheless great job! If you had leveled the playing field with a minor HP bump with a DP or something, I could see you pulling him easily.
Appreciate 1
dayone6.00
      08-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
dayone
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes QS3 is the programming on our ZF8s (and other BMWs). The transmission only has 100(?) "hard" launches at the fastest setting. After the 100 launches, you will still be able to launch but it will not enable QS3 for the fastest shifts possible. There is no indicator on this so you will not know unless you count your launches.

Wish you guys had the same fuel load and octane. Maybe try experimenting with octanes if you get another chance, I've done 100-91 mix to get 93 and it works well since we don't get 93 in SoCal.

Nevertheless great job! If you had leveled the playing field with a minor HP bump with a DP or something, I could see you pulling him easily.
Quote:
Quote:

Ah yes, no way I've done 100. Is there no way to reset this? Sounds arbitrary and now I'm wondering how much it affects times.

I doubt I'd do another video since it was more of a one time learning experience. Not to mention the 3:30AM start time but totally should keep variables to a minimum! Maybe I'd reach out to Dan again when I get a new car, so interested in the M3 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It has to be in the trans ECU. Evolve has a TCU tune — maybe ask them if it can be reset.
Appreciate 0