BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2014 F10 M5 injector failure.

10-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

2014 F10 M5 injector failure.

I know this is f90 but looking for any and all advice. Thanks everyone.

So turns out bank 1 cylinder 3 injector failed and stuck open. POS Bmw is Not covering it through the extended injector warranty due to claims that my car is tuned and has voided it. Waiting for Indy to confirm wether I need EU5 or EU6 injector. My question is should I replace just the faulty injector? Or all 4 on that bank? Or just replace all 8 on both banks? Also my Indy does not have access to ista for which people have told me the car will need to be coded one new injector/s are installed. Am I able to drive the car slowly to dealer without injectors being coded without harming the vehicle? Thanks everyone for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

My 2 cents: I had a bad injector on a prior Audi V8. Replaced just the bad one and went another 50 k miles without an issue.

Mike

(they were about 80 bucks each if I recall, but a bit of labor to get at.)

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post

So turns out bank 1 cylinder 3 injector failed and stuck open. POS Bmw is Not covering it through the extended injector warranty due to claims that my car is tuned and has voided it. Waiting for Indy to confirm wether I need EU5 or EU6 injector. My question is should I replace just the faulty injector? Or all 4 on that bank? Or just replace all 8 on both banks? Also my Indy does not have access to ista for which people have told me the car will need to be coded one new injector/s are installed. Am I able to drive the car slowly to dealer without injectors being coded without harming the vehicle? Thanks everyone for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
My 2 cents: I had a bad injector on a prior Audi V8. Replaced just the bad one and went another 50 k miles without an issue.

Mike

Yeah they're about $80-$100 for Bosch, $200 for BMW branded. The car has a fuel filter, so I would assume it's a faulty injector and nothing to worry about the other 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeLpErZx View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Yeah they're about $80-$100 for Bosch, $200 for BMW branded. The car has a fuel filter, so I would assume it's a faulty injector and nothing to worry about the other 7.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Everyone keeps suggesting that I replace all 8. That's pricey though
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Everyone keeps suggesting that I replace all 8. That's pricey though
No clue why. Injectors only fail together if they were all exposed to something together.

Probably more of a if you're already paying the labor, might as well have them do all of them sort of thing.

I personally would just replace the one as the other poster mentioned with his R8. One failing does not influence the others failing unless they all saw the same problem (like particulates from dirty fuel)
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Something to note is even BMW's document to NHTSA instructs techs to only replace the injectors that failed. Not the whole set
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #7
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Something to note is even BMW's document to NHTSA instructs techs to only replace the injectors that failed. Not the whole set
Quote:
Yup that's what i was thinking. But even the tech at my dealer said I should replace them all if I was going to get it done outside warranty lol
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

For what injectors do and how often, it's quite amazing how stable they are. Failures are rare, and multiple injector failures even more so. Easy for mechanic to recommend replacing all of them since it's on your dime, "while I am there lets replace all the cam seals and valve cover gaskets and .....flux capacitors....."

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For what injectors do and how often, it's quite amazing how stable they are. Failures are rare, and multiple injector failures even more so. Easy for mechanic to recommend replacing all of them since it's on your dime, "while I am there lets replace all the cam seals and valve cover gaskets and .....flux capacitors....."

Mike
Quote:

Mike
Yes mike but several people have suggested that on the f10 m5 platform once one injector failed the other are notorious for going as well. Almost like a chain reaction
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:

Unless you know exactly which type of injector, then its should be OK to replace just the faulty injector. If cost is not too high, it would be good to replace all 8 injectors to have more uniform fuel spray and combustion among all 8 cylinders in my opinion. I might be too conservative on such things, but I would always assume balance is key....