BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Satin Black M5... Do I get a wrap, XPEL Stealth, or BMW "frozen black" paint option?

10-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #23
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
paint.

I wouldn't want anyone taking apart my brand new car.
This.

Option 3 all day long.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:23 AM   #24
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Option #2 for sure. Protection + looks.

Option 1 gives very minimal to negligible protection with the only benefit you can rewrap a panel if it starts to look chipped (though the chips will most likely go to the paint)

Option 3 is a pain to maintain and has no added protection versus regular paint, aka it will suffer the same but is much harder to match/fix

Option 2 gives you the looks while giving you the added benefit of true PPF film. $6-7k is on the high side, the quotes I've gotten is in the $3-5k range. I am debating doing the larger flat panels to save money (since on flat panels it's quite straightforward) and paying someone to do bumpers and other curvier/intricate surfaces
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #25
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about—it's almost impossible (closer to impossible than almost) to repair and requires PPF from day one to protect it. If you do try to repair it, very few shops will even take it on. When they do, they make no guarantees and provide only an estimate stating that the price could escalate exponentially. The only solution is to paint match+buff+matching matte wrap to restore uniformity. Hence you might as well get it wrapped since PPF requires same dismantling.

OP: listen to those that have experience with frozen paint—#2 is your only option. I will never get factory frozen paint again (unless I'm prepared to foot the bill to wrap it before I pick it up—that'd have to be some car).

It's 730 in the morning, and i have time for this. Few shops can repair/refinish frozen, yes, but thats why you take it to a proper body shop and not Jose down the street. What shops are you taking a car to where the price keeps going up while its there? I suggest you take wisen up. The solution to matching a matte finish is NOT to buff it. This is how i know you have zero idea what YOU are talking about. You NEVER buff a matte finish under any circumstance. You achieve/match gloss level by mixing the clear a certain way. How do i know this? Because i've painted matte finishes before.

So you can speak from someone who owns one, sure, i can speak to refinishing one. You simply cannot.

So, in closing, i'd get the matte finish from BMW. I have several friends who own matte cars, once you do regular washing and dont let anything sit on the paint (because again, you CANNOT polish matte) you will be fine. I would never buy 100k car and take it to a shop to have have everything torn down and put back together. Thats just me.

The matte just needs an extra level of TLC, if you can handle it, go for it. There is NO substitute for paint.
Tell that to the now 4 shops that have refused to take it on and the two that tried and failed.

Matte paint? Never again.

Get a gloss paint similar to the matte you want and spend the money PPF-wrapping it.

For those reading this thread: the car and paint issues I'm describing are with my current car with factory BMW frozen dark silver paint, not just an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #26
Bimmma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F06 M6

Option 3 for me and I’ve owned a couple frozen finishes for these reasons. I have also considered options 1 and 2 but for me, looking at all the options side by side, you could tell the difference in finish and I felt option 3 really showed up more the lines of the car and depth of the paint finish.
As far as maintenance, routine maintenance only requires washing with soap and water. No polishing required as Trevor has mentioned above, as this will bring out more sheen from the clear coat and ruin that matte look. There are also special waxes and cleaners that are available for matte finishes if you wanted to use once in a while to help preserve the finish. Yes, as most others have said, if you need a repair, paint matching will take some expertise but depending on where you live, there are shops that are now and more becoming increasingly comfortable with working with matte paints.
Lastly, the films do offer an extra layer of protection but I have seen where films have started to lift in certain areas, particularly sharp edges and dust started to capture and stick under the film which was difficult to remove and had to go back to to the shop to have the film reworked in those areas.

It is a tough decision to choose the right option and lot of folks have been in the same dilemma. That’s where feedback from these forums can be helpful...sometimes
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #27
ash84
Rep
Drives: '20 Merc GLC63, '18 Audi S4

I recently purchased a GLC63 for my wife and wanted the Magno paint option in grey. However, due to COVID that paint was not offered. I purchased the metallic grey and had an XPEL Stealth wrap placed. Costly, but I love the look and I love the peace of mind that I have full PPF and if it needs to be repaired, its a standard metallic paint underneath. In the end, it depends on your comfort level. Judging by my wife's previous cars' damage, I'm very happy with this option
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #28
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmma View Post
Option 3 for me and I’ve owned a couple frozen finishes for these reasons. I have also considered options 1 and 2 but for me, looking at all the options side by side, you could tell the difference in finish and I felt option 3 really showed up more the lines of the car and depth of the paint finish.
As far as maintenance, routine maintenance only requires washing with soap and water. No polishing required as Trevor has mentioned above, as this will bring out more sheen from the clear coat and ruin that matte look. There are also special waxes and cleaners that are available for matte finishes if you wanted to use once in a while to help preserve the finish. Yes, as most others have said, if you need a repair, paint matching will take some expertise but depending on where you live, there are shops that are now and more becoming increasingly comfortable with working with matte paints.
Lastly, the films do offer an extra layer of protection but I have seen where films have started to lift in certain areas, particularly sharp edges and dust started to capture and stick under the film which was difficult to remove and had to go back to to the shop to have the film reworked in those areas.

It is a tough decision to choose the right option and lot of folks have been in the same dilemma. That’s where feedback from these forums can be helpful...sometimes
What's option 3?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosum8 View Post
I'm really interested in getting a new, 2021 F90 M5C. I'm totally in love with the idea of having it in a Satin Black color.

The few options that I've tossed around are:

1) Just get any color one and wrap it in satin black. (I was quoted $3,600)
2) Get a black one and wrap it in the XPEL STEALTH to achieve the satin black look. (I've heard this costs $6-7k)
3) Spend the $5,000 and have BMW custom order a frozen black color.

What do you guys think would be the best option to achieve this satin black color I'm looking for?
Quote:
What's option 3?
From first post. Basically order individual frozen black.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:37 PM   #30
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_M5 View Post
I have Xpel Stealth in mines. $5k
You get the protection and look.
Andy Which wheel do you have, and can you provide a picture focused on the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #31
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeLpErZx View Post
Quote:
I'm really interested in getting a new, 2021 F90 M5C. I'm totally in love with the idea of having it in a Satin Black color.

2) Get a black one and wrap it in the XPEL STEALTH to achieve the satin black look. (I've heard this costs $6-7k)

What do you guys think would be the best option to achieve this satin black color I'm looking for?
Quote:
What's option 3?
From first post. Basically order individual frozen black.
Ah, understood.

Then I don't (respectfully ) agree... at all... not remotely... not even a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #32
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Mine is wrapped in 3m satin black film. Believe it or not the original color is frozen dark silver, but I hated it! (Got a good deal on a used one in this spec). IMO it looks even nicer than the OEM paint code, as not having the metallic flakes in it allow for a shinier/deeper black and still somewhat protects original paint finish.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #33
Crumbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M Mineral White

What a beauty^
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #34
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash84 View Post
I recently purchased a GLC63 for my wife and wanted the Magno paint option in grey. However, due to COVID that paint was not offered. I purchased the metallic grey and had an XPEL Stealth wrap placed. Costly, but I love the look and I love the peace of mind that I have full PPF and if it needs to be repaired, its a standard metallic paint underneath. In the end, it depends on your comfort level. Judging by my wife's previous cars' damage, I'm very happy with this option
Good advice. I have a question. If I were to get Frozen Black and wrap it in Xpel Stealth, will it look the same as if I get the Black Metallic and wrap it in Xpel Stealth? I am trying to determine if it's a waste of money to get the frozen paint and then wrap it in Stealth.... it seems like the matte paint cost is unnecessary and you get the same look. Am I understanding this correctly?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #35
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I'm not sure you can wrap a satin paint without harming the paint. I wouldn't try it unless the installer has experience doing it and also experience removing it and know the results.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #36
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

Depends on your budget and depends on if you're buying or leasing. If I were you, and I were buying I would choose option 3, and then wrap it in stealth Xpel if you can afford it.

There is nothing better than driving the car that you built in the exact color you desire on highways with no worry about stone chips and scratches. You really get to enjoy your car more.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #37
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreen822 View Post
Good advice. I have a question. If I were to get Frozen Black and wrap it in Xpel Stealth, will it look the same as if I get the Black Metallic and wrap it in Xpel Stealth? I am trying to determine if it's a waste of money to get the frozen paint and then wrap it in Stealth.... it seems like the matte paint cost is unnecessary and you get the same look. Am I understanding this correctly?
I put Xpel Stealth on my matte E63S and the finish is almost identical. I only wrapped the front end to protect it from chips, and in certain light conditions, you can tell a difference between the wrapped and not wrapped panels. Xpel Stealth is a bit more matte vs the factory finish. I'm assuming this would be the same for BMW paints.

If you go for factory frozen paint, I would highly recommend protecting it because it can't be polished or buffed. If you damage it you are looking at a respray. You have to consider the cost of getting frozen paint plus Xpel Stealth which isn't cheap. Full car Xpel from a reputable place is around $6k.

You can go your route of getting a metallic paint and wrapping it Xpel Stealth, and the finish would be similar but not identical. Keep in mind that they will have to take apart a good amount of your car to get all the edges probably wrapped as you don't want any shiny metallic areas to stick out. There are some folks on here who did it, and the results are nice. Will try to find some and edit here.

Edit: It's a Mercedes metallic black, but you'll get the idea: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...63s-coupe.html
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #38
chicagoguy0822
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible (G83)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
I put Xpel Stealth on my matte E63S and the finish is almost identical. I only wrapped the front end to protect it from chips, and in certain light conditions, you can tell a difference between the wrapped and not wrapped panels. Xpel Stealth is a bit more matte vs the factory finish. I'm assuming this would be the same for BMW paints.

If you go for factory frozen paint, I would highly recommend protecting it because it can't be polished or buffed. If you damage it you are looking at a respray. You have to consider the cost of getting frozen paint plus Xpel Stealth which isn't cheap. Full car Xpel from a reputable place is around $6k.

You can go your route of getting a metallic paint and wrapping it Xpel Stealth, and the finish would be similar but not identical. Keep in mind that they will have to take apart a good amount of your car to get all the edges probably wrapped as you don't want any shiny metallic areas to stick out. There are some folks on here who did it, and the results are nice. Will try to find some and edit here.

Edit: It's a Mercedes metallic black, but you'll get the idea: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...63s-coupe.html
Thanks! That's a beautiful MB and it looks incredibly cool (although it would look better on a BMW)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #39
Andy_M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_M5 View Post
I have Xpel Stealth in mines. $5k
You get the protection and look.
Andy Which wheel do you have, and can you provide a picture focused on the wheel?
20" Velos VLS07 1 pc forged

Link to pics below

https://www.velosdesignwerks.com/bmw...forged-wheels/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:22 AM   #40
JRod1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:

Number 3. Go big or go home
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #41
Crumbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M Mineral White

#3 and ppf it
Appreciate 0