BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    M5c or M5

03-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Dogz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus

M5c or M5

About to possibly lemon my M3cs. Will be willing to speak to dealers or leasing agents on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

everyone with a comp is going to say comp just because they want to feel like their 4200lb sedan is now truly a racecar, because of a stiffer suspension and a negligible amount of hp. I opted to spend more money on individual color rather than cp.

Had cp on the f10, waste of money.
Appreciate 3
soooma1373.00
Vic5518961.00
      03-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
bear040
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Picked my Comp 4 days ago and definitely no regrets at all... just plain perfect!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

M5 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
AzuriteBlack
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Pretty sure there is no wrong answer. I chose the Comp for the exhaust and the wheels. And it's faster (albeit only slightly). And the Competition badge looks kind of cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I will put it pretty simply for you, from opinions i have picked up along the way. M5 is the comfort cruising model, M5 Competiton is more hardcore and dynamic, ie stiffer. Take your pick.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
SocalDude
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

You will not notice the difference between the cars for everyday driving. I came from a F10 M5 Comp. I test drove both the F90 M5 and the M5C, and opted for the non-comp pack. I could not really tell the difference for everyday driving.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      03-01-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
SocalDude
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuriteBlack View Post
Pretty sure there is no wrong answer. I chose the Comp for the exhaust and the wheels. And it's faster (albeit only slightly). And the Competition badge looks kind of cool.
Except, I dislike the black painted bottom bumper on the back. Why not paint it the same color as the car?!? I suppose you cannot tell on an Azurite Black color M5.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      03-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

I'm having the same dilemma. Love the exhaust and the wheels on the comp, i'm a little worried about the suspension being too stiff for daily driving? How stiff is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I'm having the same dilemma. Love the exhaust and the wheels on the comp, i'm a little worried about the suspension being too stiff for daily driving? How stiff is it?
Stiffer than my 993.

It’s not that big a deal unless you are really sensitive or something. My Comp is my daily driver and our roads aren’t necessarily glass smooth.

To OP - get the competition.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:32 AM   #11
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuriteBlack View Post
Except, I dislike the black painted bottom bumper on the back. Why not paint it the same color as the car?!? I suppose you cannot tell on an Azurite Black color M5.
Dude thank you
I thought I were the only one here who hates that black big diffuser! Looks hideous man!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:37 AM   #12
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davem2c View Post
About to possibly lemon my M3cs. Will be willing to speak to dealers or leasing agents on a new car.
No time behind the steering in M5C, and I have M5C envy at times but enjoying:
1. X pipe (Better sound than M5C) for 500$
2. Lower with M550Xi springs H&R about 1000$ installed
3. Race Chipped less than 900$ installed (Now way more powerful than M5C)
4. Added Carbon fiber Splitters and M Performance spoiler and now not itching for M5C no more since I know I won't track it so why make it so track oriented all the time, unless for bragging rights?

All for less than 50% the cost and looks way cooler, being much lower and more individual and up above all cheaper!

But heard steering is superior in M5C and only a software

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:
4. Added Carbon fiber Splitters and M Performance spoiler and now not itching for M5C no more since I know I won't track it so why make it so track oriented all the time, unless for bragging rights?

All for less than 50% the cost and looks way cooler, being much lower and more individual and up above all cheaper!

Hope this helps
I'll probably do comp because I don't mod my cars and I like the wheels and lower ride height.. performance improvement is negligible and I'll never track the car. I wish I could get chrome exhaust and painted rear diffuser on the comp but oh well
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps
I'll probably do comp because I don't mod my cars and I like the wheels and lower ride height.. performance improvement is negligible and I'll never track the car. I wish I could get chrome exhaust and painted rear diffuser on the comp but oh well
Wish granted
I got the chrome exhaust and either PM for price when you need or a straight swap as black will be easier for me to get rid of!

Let me know
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #15
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

IMHO I drove both m5 and comp back to back and the stiffness is suspension made me chose the non comp hands down. Even in sport plus the chassis does not feel as stiff or ridged as it does in the comp. I wanted a cruiser when needed and a corner carver when desired and certainly feel I got that with the non comp. I think a big part of it is where you reside. Here in New England the roads are crap most of the year and then in the summer it's just roadwork to repair the crap...vicious cycle of potholes and uneven road surfaces! Now if you are in FL or somewhere that weather does not kill the road surface the difference could be much less. Like most said either way we are all lucky to get to have such a "tough" decision to make
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      03-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

A tough decision that I am facing as well. But in the end it came down to how much I would like to spend monthly on my lease. There is a pretty big 11K delta for the similar car comp vs non comp. When I did the math, equated to about a $200-250/mo difference and that is assuming that you can get the same % off MSRP for both which you cannot at this time. That plus what I had heard from others on this forum about stiff ride, has prompted me to search for a non comp.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      03-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
Dogz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salraf View Post
A tough decision that I am facing as well. But in the end it came down to how much I would like to spend monthly on my lease. There is a pretty big 11K delta for the similar car comp vs non comp. When I did the math, equated to about a $200-250/mo difference and that is assuming that you can get the same % off MSRP for both which you cannot at this time. That plus what I had heard from others on this forum about stiff ride, has prompted me to search for a non comp.
Seems like BMW NA is doing a sub of collateral with me. Didn't have a dealer or leasing agent each out - so I guess I'll take another M3cs.

Was hoping for a few deals in the inbox lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
Dogz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by salraf View Post
Seems like BMW NA is doing a sub of collateral with me. Didn't have a dealer or leasing agent each out - so I guess I'll take another M3cs.

Was hoping for a few deals in the inbox lol
For the record I like the M5c better but would have taken the m5 on value
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #19
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
Only as stiff as you make it, referring to after market spring 😉
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      03-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #20
MCOMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19' M5 Comp.

Quote:
Wow, I almost bought that car, what problems are you having with it?
The M5C while much more refined than the M3cs(I've driven both) is a more hardcore and sportier version of the M5. The naysayers will say it's just a stiffer ride and a badge. But in reality since I've driven both models a day apart I can tell you this: On smooth roads the Comp is Heaven, on not so smooth roads the ride is slightly jarring.The suspension makes the car a totally different animal, steering is sharper, handling better, more solidly planted yada yada yada. Drive both then decide, that's what I did and couldn't be happier, Long trips however, I take my wife's car.

2019 MBB/Aragon M5C
M Performance: Exhaust Tips/Pro Spoiler/Rear Diffuser. H&R 11/11 Spacers ACG Carbon Kevlar Pads XPEL Front PPF Ceramic Pro Silver 20% Tints Instagram #m5comp

Last edited by MCOMP; 03-03-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      03-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #21
Dogz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOMP View Post
Quote:
Wow, I almost bought that car, what problems are you having with it?
The M5C while much more refined than the M3cs(I've ridden both) is a more hardcore and sportier version of the M5. The naysayers will say it's just a stiffer ride and a badge. But in reality since I've driven both models a day apart I can tell you this: On smooth roads the Comp is Heaven on not so smooth roads is a slightly jarring.The suspension makes the car a totally different animal, steering is sharper, handling better, more solidly planted yada yada yada. Drive both then decide, that's what I did and couldn't be happier, Long trips however, I take my wife's car.
Had electrical issues. In new one now.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #22
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

I had the opportunity to drive the "normal" M5 two days ago. I was in the same dilemma... regular vs. comp... steel brakes vs. CCB...

I got everything explained at a BMW Brand Experience Center and then drove the regular M with steel brakes for about an hour.

IMHO the CP and CCB are not worth it unless you are several times a year on the track and want to get the most out of your M5.

The steering, the suspension, the drivetrain, the chassis... everything just felt so well balanced, perfectly tuned.

Thus I decided to not go for the CP and will also let go of the CCBs.

I'd like to keep the firm but comfortable suspension.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)

Last edited by M135iXdriver; 03-05-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0