BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Engine Recall - Full Engine Replacement?!

10-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #45
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Just this morning I finally got a call back from BMW NA about my complaint (and request for a new car). She told me that she needs to 'research the situation' and escalate to the next level up. She said she will be back in touch when more information is available, probably sometime next week.

Frustrating how long it is taking (and still no answers); the driving season in the midwest is just about over and I'm in a regular 3 series dealer loaner...they'll probably get me into an M5 as soon as snow starts falling

As a side note, every person at BMW NA I have spoken to on the phone has been extraordinary empathetic & pleasant.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #46
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmith View Post
Just this morning I finally got a call back from BMW NA about my complaint (and request for a new car). She told me that she needs to 'research the situation' and escalate to the next level up. She said she will be back in touch when more information is available, probably sometime next week.

Frustrating how long it is taking (and still no answers); the driving season in the midwest is just about over and I'm in a regular 3 series dealer loaner...they'll probably get me into an M5 as soon as snow starts falling

As a side note, every person at BMW NA I have spoken to on the phone has been extraordinary empathetic & pleasant.
Are telling you what the actual reason for the recall and engine swap? That's the first thing I'd want to know. Did the forum member who wanted to do a VIN check come back with anything?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #47
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I thought they were offering to put you in any non-M car on the lot? I'd be in a 7-series or something...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #48
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Have they at least started covering your lease payments while you wait to get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #49
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw495 View Post
Have they at least started covering your lease payments while you wait to get this resolved?
They already said they would
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:19 PM   #50
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nothing new on the cause for the replacement, only what is listed in the bulletin that I posted earlier. They did tell me that I cannot drive the car while parts are on order because the engine failure could be imminent.

The service manager at the dealership said that BMW NA only allows dealerships to comp customers a max of 1 months payment (however much that is) and no more. Without me asking he said that I should be getting a lot more than that and advised me to contact BMW NA and file a complaint to get >1 month; I told him I want a whole new car. He agreed that's reasonable and said that also has to go through BMW NA.

I filed that complaint on Monday and got the call back (above post) today.

As far as the car I'm in; they originally had me in an X5 (which I hated) - when I asked for another car the service manager gave me a list of options. I told him I'll take whatever car he recommends. He gave me a brand new 340i x drive...with winter quickly approaching in Chicago (snow flurries this past weekend!) I guess it's not a terrible choice (sans SUV)....but it's a looooonng way from my M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #51
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever34 View Post
Are telling you what the actual reason for the recall and engine swap? That's the first thing I'd want to know. Did the forum member who wanted to do a VIN check come back with anything?
Oh, and I PM'ed my VIN to two members that asked. Nothing back in either case.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #52
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This was not confirmed, as OP mentioned in the post below yours, which is why I was asking OP...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #53
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nothing new on the cause for the replacement, only what is listed in the bulletin that I posted earlier. They did tell me that I cannot drive the car while parts are on order because the engine failure could be imminent.

The service manager at the dealership said that BMW NA only allows dealerships to comp customers a max of 1 months payment (however much that is) and no more. Without me asking he said that I should be getting a lot more than that and advised me to contact BMW NA and file a complaint to get >1 month; I told him I want a whole new car. He agreed that's reasonable and said that also has to go through BMW NA.

I filed that complaint on Monday and got the call back (above post) today.

As far as the car I'm in; they originally had me in an X5 (which I hated) - when I asked for another car the service manager gave me a list of options. I told him I'll take whatever car he recommends. He gave me a brand new 340i x drive...with winter quickly approaching in Chicago (snow flurries this past weekend!) I guess it's not a terrible choice (sans SUV)....but it's a looooonng way from my M5.
Well best of luck. Hopefully they are able to put you into a new M5 with all of the options you want sooner rather than later, which I think is the only fair accomodation at this point (as well as covering 100% of your current payments until BMW NA takes this car out of your name and putting you in a nice rental until your new M5 is ready).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #54
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw495 View Post
Quote:
This was not confirmed, as OP mentioned in the post below yours, which is why I was asking OP...
Actually it was...on page 2 (mobile app) but it's no big deal as it looks like they might have changed their minds.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #55
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually it was...on page 2 (mobile app) but it's no big deal as it looks like they might have changed their minds.
I was aware that they "said" they would cover on page 2 of the thread, but that does not mean OP actually received any money (because of the 1 month policy mentioned above). That was what my question was getting at--has OP actually started receiving checks for his payments, which sounds like a no.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #56
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Updated with recall notice:

Attachment 1923633

I'm a proud new member of the M family! I've been lurking here since I put my M on order, but never had anything interesting to add to the conversation until I took it in for the break-in service...

The dealership just called to say that it was almost done, but they just found a recall on it that calls for a full engine replacement (yes, I triple checked with him that was correct because I couldn't believe it). The guy at the dealership didn't have any details beyond that - he isn't sure if he is allowed to release the car to me (safety recall) while waiting for parts or how long it could be until they have a replacement engine.

He said the recall was #B111518. Has anyone heard of this? I tried to look up that recall number online and came up empty handed.
For reference of my spot in the production line - VIN ending in 4006

Will update as I get more details.
I'm not a good guy. I'd go SCORCHED EARTH on BMW ASAP for a new car....period. BMW did a great job (kudos) finding the QC problem. That does not make it my problem....it's their problem. Minor recall stuff we've gone though...no biggie...A NEW ENGINE FOR ONLY 12 CARS !!!! BIGGIE.. They can add it to a loaner fleet, sale at discount, etc, etc.... Part of a new $100,000 car experience ....is the positive experience....I'd lawyer up and refuse to take it back....but that's just me.....
Appreciate 3
      10-25-2018, 02:31 AM   #57
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I'm not a good guy. I'd go SCORCHED EARTH on BMW ASAP for a new car....period. BMW did a great job (kudos) finding the QC problem. That does not make it my problem....it's their problem. Minor recall stuff we've gone though...no biggie...A NEW ENGINE FOR ONLY 12 CARS !!!! BIGGIE.. They can add it to a loaner fleet, sale at discount, etc, etc.... Part of a new $100,000 car experience ....is the positive experience....I'd lawyer up and refuse to take it back....but that's just me.....
I'm with you on this all the way , I would expect nothing short of a new car period.
onfireX53617.50
530iDriver1707.50
      10-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #58
Jez_zza
Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I'm with you on this all the way , I would expect nothing short of a new car period.
+1 & fully loaded !!
The slow response from BMW to address this issue is just unacceptable
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      10-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #59
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_zza View Post
+1 & fully loaded !!
I plan on asking for my exact setup but this time in a comp. I'm going to give them the chance to do the right thing on their own... hopefully I don't have to lawyer up.
Appreciate 2
Jez_zza438.50
530iDriver1707.50
      10-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #60
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I plan on asking for my exact setup but this time in a comp. I'm going to give them the chance to do the right thing on their own... hopefully I don't have to lawyer up.
That seems like a pretty sweet deal to me (as long as they make the switch timely and without much fight). Hope it works out for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #61
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

BMW needs to ante up their quality control with suppliers and at the assembly line.

What a black mark...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #62
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
+1 & fully loaded !!
You are owed a brand new and defect free car. No question in my mind.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #63
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNGASLOW View Post
Can you lemon it and get a replacement? Considering it only had its first service and it needs a major fix and hurts resale value?
No.

Lemon Law handles when defects (such as the engine in this case) are NOT replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #64
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Is this for rod bearings as well? Reminds me of the e92 M3 S65 engine issues but there was no recall for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #65
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
+1 & fully loaded !!
Uhmmmm

As you stated, it's a lease. You do not have a diminished value claim. You do not own the car. BMWFS does.

The paperwork you signed allows for warranty replacement, of which this is

However in Illinois, if Car is out of service (it is currently) for 30+ days, it can be easily lemon lawed. As long as it is red tagged, the timer is ticking. Of course, BMW NA knows this as well. Just keep detailed records.

https://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Do...-LLsummary.pdf

As an aside, as only 12 Vehicles were affected (and as witnessed by posters in this thread, others were not) I wonder if it had anything to do with options on the car
Appreciate 4
VCP1390.00
530iDriver1707.50
M3JHWK75.50
      10-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #66
Costello1991
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine White 135is

How convenient, brand new motor. You guys better go beat on your car before you bring it in.