BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Engine Recall - Full Engine Replacement?!

10-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #221
GUNGASLOW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
As stated previously in this thread, contact your dealer.
I did, they don’t know what I’m talking about.. I’ve explained to them about the engine problem on some vin# and they don’t care
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #222
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNGASLOW View Post
I want to check my vin #...my car was built in that time frame! What’s going on here, I don’t want my engine seizing driving down the highway! I feel like it’s unsafe and want my money back unless BMW can tell me the part and vin#s that we’re affected and assure me mine is not one of them.. this is unacceptable
Not sure if you did this- but I called BMW Genius and he confirmed my VIN as not affected:

844-443-6487
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #223
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I think there is some serious miscommunication where both parties are right but are arguing the wrong thing.

The classification of the problem/fault is very important and I think people here are using them interchangeably and they shouldn't. Like IK6SPEED has stated, this is a STOP DELIVERY. I know people on here want to use the term recall because it has to go back to the dealership, but that is not the case. RECALL, again as IK6SPEED has stated, is strictly for cases where driver and/or public safety is a concern. There is a clear difference and BMW knows how to classify problems that arise.

No one can't nor should they assume the worst when all BMW said was that long-term reliability is a risk and automatically, on their accord, deem this a recall.

With that said, if you understand the above, you will understand why you cannot just go to the BMW website and check to see if there is a recall - nothing shows up because it isn't a recall. This is what IK6SPEED has repeated numerously in this thread but everyone is too quick to jump to conclusions.

I am not siding with one party or the other but people are jumping to conclusions because there seems to be a lack of information and/or because they can't find anything by inputting their VIN - STOP DELIVERIES are only reported and available to BMW dealerships which is what the F90 engine is. So again, everyone can keep searching but you will not find anything that would be accessible to the public but that doesn't mean this is all bullshit, shady or evidence that BMW is withholding information.
Appreciate 4
BMWM5NYC496.00
gblansten1976.50
VCP1390.00
rich8566608.50
      10-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #224
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I think there is some serious miscommunication where both parties are right but are arguing the wrong thing.

The classification of the problem/fault is very important and I think people here are using them interchangeably and they shouldn't. Like IK6SPEED has stated, this is a STOP DELIVERY. I know people on here want to use the term recall because it has to go back to the dealership, but that is not the case. RECALL, again as IK6SPEED has stated, is strictly for cases where driver and/or public safety is a concern. There is a clear difference and BMW knows how to classify problems that arise.

No one can't nor should they assume the worst when all BMW said was that long-term reliability is a risk and automatically, on their accord, deem this a recall.

With that said, if you understand the above, you will understand why you cannot just go to the BMW website and check to see if there is a recall - nothing shows up because it isn't a recall. This is what IK6SPEED has repeated numerously in this thread but everyone is too quick to jump to conclusions.

I am not siding with one party or the other but people are jumping to conclusions because there seems to be a lack of information and/or because they can't find anything by inputting their VIN - STOP DELIVERIES are only reported and available to BMW dealerships which is what the F90 engine is. So again, everyone can keep searching but you will not find anything that would be accessible to the public but that doesn't mean this is all bullshit, shady or evidence that BMW is withholding information.
Here are some other contradictions to some of IKSpeeds post versus the OP; they would not allow the OP to drive his car - and took it from him. IK stated that there is no issue - and by no issue - you cannot be hurt by this stop delivery while driving this defective engine - so people can wait until their 1200 mile service before turning the car in (which also doesn't make sense as the engine is coming out of the car and being replaced from what I have read). I think we can all agree that simply stating which VINs are affected, when and what was fixed - with some instructions - bring the car back - or wait until 1200 miles, click here to see if your car is affected etc. - would reduce a ton of confusion and help threads like this end in a positive way.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #225
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmith View Post
The dealership got word back from Germany; they aren't allowed to give the car back to me until the engine is replaced. They fear that something could go wrong with the motor near term. They also don't know how long until they will have 'the whole assembly'. He preemptively offered to cover my lease payments and give me any (non-M) car on the lot for however long the they hold onto my car.
I would have a meeting with the BMW NA regional rep and the service manager at your dealership and have them do a buy back on the car. If they refuse have a lemon law attorney write a letter. They should buy the car back fairly quickly.

I wouldn't keep the car at that point even if it's a lease. Could be a world of problems after an engine replacement.
100% agree. I worked at Paul Miller BMW in NJ back when the E65 was first introduced. Albeit, a horror in the first year.

I watched many customers face grueling service/DME/Electrical issues. Many customers were able to get the car bought back.

Again, 100% agree!

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 10:44 PM   #226
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Well this conversation took an unexpected turn...

As an update to the situation:

BMWNA called today to ask for another week before they respond to my request for a new vehicle. I pushed back several times asking why it was taking so long, but the person on the phone said she is waiting on a different team and she would ask them to move ask quickly as possible. I'm very frustrated that it is taking so long for them to give me any answers. Or details. Or anything for that matter.
I called my dealer's service manager to see if he had anything; he said he has been sending emails to his contact to find out when he can get the new motor and he has yet to receive a response. It seems both of us are in the dark.

I'll post an update when I hear something, but for now I'm still in the dark and without my M5.
If you haven’t done so already, fill out/complete the appropriate forms - send certified or via courier (FedEx/UPS) they have to respond in the appropriate time frame “as specified by law”. That is of course if you meet the “vehicle out of service” days per your state law. Unfortunately, cordial phone calls and conversations aren’t enough, has to be backed up in writing. If you have the time you can get this done without an attorney, it’s a straightforward process.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)

Last edited by car_fan; 10-29-2018 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:43 AM   #227
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

BMWNA called today to ask for another week before they respond to my request for a new vehicle. I pushed back several times asking why it was taking so long, but the person on the phone said she is waiting on a different team and she would ask them to move ask quickly as possible. I'm very frustrated that it is taking so long for them to give me any answers. Or details. Or anything for that matter.
I called my dealer's service manager to see if he had anything; he said he has been sending emails to his contact to find out when he can get the new motor and he has yet to receive a response. It seems both of us are in the dark.

I'll post an update when I hear something, but for now I'm still in the dark and without my M5.
This situation is far from satisfactory BMW have a duty to see you right as a customer, I would go to the top with your concerns asap.
      10-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #228
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Just curious - which Chicagoland dealer are you dealing with?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #229
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Just curious - which Chicagoland dealer are you dealing with?
PM'ed the dealership. But it seems like everything goes through BMW of North America - the dealership appears to just be the messenger & parking lot for my M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #230
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
If you haven’t done so already, fill out/complete the appropriate forms - send certified or via courier (FedEx/UPS) they have to respond in the appropriate time frame “as specified by law”. That is of course if you meet the “vehicle out of service” days per your state law. Unfortunately, cordial phone calls and conversations aren’t enough, has to be backed up in writing. If you have the time you can get this done without an attorney, it’s a straightforward process.
I personally would not do this. The minute you involve an attorney (or mention the word), the game changes. Give BMW a chance to make this right. I know several corporations that will stop talking to you the minute an attorney is involved - any chance of getting what you want without trouble goes out the window.

Just my personal advice.
Appreciate 2
tcw495272.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      10-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #231
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I personally would not do this. The minute you involve an attorney (or mention the word), the game changes. Give BMW a chance to make this right. I know several corporations that will stop talking to you the minute an attorney is involved - any chance of getting what you want without trouble goes out the window.

Just my personal advice.
I agree with this. I know other members on here take the position of always sue or at least threaten suit, but in my opinion, if you're going to threaten a lawsuit you better be ready to back it up if they decide to stop talking to you (which will then cost even more money).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #232
GUNGASLOW
Banned
Rep

I’m ready to call channel 5 to force BMW to at least give more of an explanation on what’s going on and how sure they are that they figured out the problem for sure and it’s only isolated to 12 cars..
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #233
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

This

Quote:

Just my personal advice.
Appreciate 2
tcw495272.00
530iDriver1707.50
      10-31-2018, 08:42 AM   #234
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:

Just my personal advice.
I agree. As I said earlier, I want to give them the opportunity to do it right on their own. I negotiate for a living, so if it comes down to it I am confident that we will come to a resolution that I'm happy with I just need them to be ready to show up to the table to talk about a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #235
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

...Olympian efforts to fix, I was sent a refurb XS, and this was on day 22 after its release. You can bet that there are some previously rejected, newly refurbished engines for the M5 floating out there.[/QUOTE]

What makes you think the replacement iPhone was a "refurb" ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:46 PM   #236
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
...Olympian efforts to fix, I was sent a refurb XS, and this was on day 22 after its release. You can bet that there are some previously rejected, newly refurbished engines for the M5 floating out there.
What makes you think the replacement iPhone was a "refurb" ?[/QUOTE]

It literally said refurb in the quote you just quoted. Maybe I'm confused?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #237
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

tcw495,

Fair question. at the core of my post was what can you believe on the internet. My new iPhone X went bad around day 15 or so - faulty charging mechanism. I geared myself up for a big pitch that I wanted a NEW factory fresh phone - not some refurb. The internet had me convinced that on retail packaging = refurb. After several different calls I was consistently assured that Apple replacements are new, factory fresh - just not in retail packaging - saved them $$ on ear buds, cable, etc. Was I fed a consistent line of BS or not - still not sure but the replacement has been flawless and Apple took care of me.

Fast forward to the M5 engine issue - I fully suspect that BMWNA will get these 8 retail buyers new M5s and some deal for their inconvenience. The "drama" surrounding many of these issues is just out of control. I have been a bow customer for over 30 years now and have had, with one exception on an older 3 series, excellent service and solid treatment of the few issues that did arise. o profanity, name calling, lawyers, threats needed.

8 retail customers and all of this - BMW will sort things and make it right.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:26 PM   #238
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Corps View Post
tcw495,

Fair question. at the core of my post was what can you believe on the internet. My new iPhone X went bad around day 15 or so - faulty charging mechanism. I geared myself up for a big pitch that I wanted a NEW factory fresh phone - not some refurb. The internet had me convinced that on retail packaging = refurb. After several different calls I was consistently assured that Apple replacements are new, factory fresh - just not in retail packaging - saved them $$ on ear buds, cable, etc. Was I fed a consistent line of BS or not - still not sure but the replacement has been flawless and Apple took care of me.

Fast forward to the M5 engine issue - I fully suspect that BMWNA will get these 8 retail buyers new M5s and some deal for their inconvenience. The "drama" surrounding many of these issues is just out of control. I have been a bow customer for over 30 years now and have had, with one exception on an older 3 series, excellent service and solid treatment of the few issues that did arise. o profanity, name calling, lawyers, threats needed.

8 retail customers and all of this - BMW will sort things and make it right.
So, I was in fact the confused one, lol. But yes, I agree, that there shouldn't be a need for lawyers, and threatening to sue right off the bat, in my opinion, is a sure way to piss people off and stall the negotiations, even if the BMW people wanted to help you out.

BMW is still a huge company, and in order to help any individual customer, unfortunately, there are probably a lot of hoops to jump through and approvals needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #239
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw495 View Post
So, I was in fact the confused one, lol. But yes, I agree, that there shouldn't be a need for lawyers, and threatening to sue right off the bat, in my opinion, is a sure way to piss people off and stall the negotiations, even if the BMW people wanted to help you out.

BMW is still a huge company, and in order to help any individual customer, unfortunately, there are probably a lot of hoops to jump through and approvals needed.
This is spot on .... you can often times resolve these matters on your own more expeditiously than involving attorneys. There's a place for attorneys if the process is not going according to your expectations but it may not need to get to that.
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #240
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Based on the number of typos in my last post I won't brag about my clarity and will rethink posting at 11:30 pm after a long, tough day of construction.

I fully agree that there will be some hoops but, like you, I don't believe that threats, lawyers, anger, etc. will help.

BMW will NOT, IMHO, risk their reputation over 8 cars with flawed engines - new M5s will be the answer for those customers.

In so many areas inflammatory headlines & drama queens = clickbait and contribute to the divisiveness that permeates our society.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      11-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #241
GUNGASLOW
Banned
Rep

I say sue everyone and everything!! Sue even the janitor at the dealership!! Sue sue sue!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #242
tcw495
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNGASLOW View Post
I say sue everyone and everything!! Sue even the janitor at the dealership!! Sue sue sue!!
This can't be serious advice (and if it is, it's clearly out of self-interest as a lawyer chasing clients), but I'd be careful giving so much legal advice, someone might actually sue and then argue you formed an attorney/client relationship...
Appreciate 0