BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Boostane

03-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
hilsman
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 Competition

Boostane

What’s the consensus? Occasional use to help with Racechip boosting octane to 96-98. I have read all I can about MMT and realize the controversy. In real life using once every few months any harm?

Last edited by hilsman; 03-23-2019 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

From what I read long time ago it's not doing much at all.
Just mix 5gal off race fuel will give you better results
      03-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
What’s the consensus? Occasional use to help with Racechip boosting octane to 96-98. I have read all I can about MMT and realize the controversy. In real life using once every few months any harm?
Do you have crappy fuel near you? because Racechip is pretty limited in terms of the boost it can add, a max of about 4psi, which does not warrant a need for anything more than 93 octane...unless you have crappy fuel (91 octane). For example I can run an early boosting custom (JB4 map 6) 23-24 psi on straight Vpower 93 with great timing, this is a much more aggressive map than what racechip offers. - just some food for thought.

I've used boostane many times and VP Octanium, both work very well when used right. Many people, not all dont understand the point of these additives and end up writing reviews like I didnt nothing anything or I added to my tank and my car didnt feel faster and they have no way to check data on if they are truly helping the car advance timing.

I'm consistently able to get about 3 degrees more timing with Boostane or VP octanium vs just straight pump gas.

Bosstane is said to be 100% to run as often as you want for cars with cats and o2 sensors. VP makes a unleaded version that is cat and o2 sensor safe and a "standard" version that is not made for use with cats and o2 sensors, but it would take a lot of use to cause damage anyway. - I've never had a single issue and I've run about 20 -30 cans through my M4 and M5

FYI I found my sweet spot to be about 10-12 gallons per can for the mix, and it takes some time to fully mix, about 30 minutes to an hour. On my F90 this allows me to run a JB4 map 3 (25psi) on the street with plenty of timing. Mixing 5 gallons GT260 plus performed pretty much the same and that was $80 for 5 gallons. I would not use a mix for a bigger boost map like JB4 map 5-8, I would run straight MS103 or MS109 in that situation.

Engine Labs/The Tuning School did a good test on a bunch of race fuels and boostane too.

Last edited by turbomcgee; 03-23-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Blue M5 Competition

I used to run Lucas octane booster on each fillup for boost levels of 22 to 27psi on JB4 meth setup for the F10 M5.....which showed the highest octane gain per lab tests....best one in my opinion ......and VP MS109 race fuel for the track

Last edited by Steeve19M5CP; 03-26-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
I’m stuck in CO with 91 octane being the highest generally available. I’ve been augmenting with Royal Purple octane booster (one can per fill up) although I lack the instrumentation to determine if it’s actually allowing for more timing. I may look at Boostane as a potential replacement to the RP product.

I am also going to check out if I can find local 100 octane unleaded race gas. $$$ but might be fun. I’ve read that the DME can adjust timing to take advantage of up to around 98 octane (US), but I’m not 100% sure if that’s true or not. I miss MA where 93 was everywhere and 94 wasn’t too hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
I’m stuck in CO with 91 octane being the highest generally available. I’ve been augmenting with Royal Purple octane booster (one can per fill up) although I lack the instrumentation to determine if it’s actually allowing for more timing. I may look at Boostane as a potential replacement to the RP product.

I am also going to check out if I can find local 100 octane unleaded race gas. $$$ but might be fun. I’ve read that the DME can adjust timing to take advantage of up to around 98 octane (US), but I’m not 100% sure if that’s true or not. I miss MA where 93 was everywhere and 94 wasn’t too hard to find.
The royal purple stuff is low grade stuff in terms of the octane boost it provides, its worth about 2-3 octane numbers..so 91 to 93. Boostane and VP are the only ones that worth your while. Lucas is ok but not even close to being on the same level as a boostane.

you could get to 95 octane by just using 1/4 of a can of boostane...that works out to cheaper than the RP stuff too. Or a full can would get your 91 to 98.

I just picked up a 6 pack for $148 - I used promo code "newboost19" which saved me 10%
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
e90alpinem3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
I'm stuck in CO with 91 octane being the highest generally available. I've been augmenting with Royal Purple octane booster (one can per fill up) although I lack the instrumentation to determine if it's actually allowing for more timing. I may look at Boostane as a potential replacement to the RP product.

I am also going to check out if I can find local 100 octane unleaded race gas. $$$ but might be fun. I've read that the DME can adjust timing to take advantage of up to around 98 octane (US), but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or not. I miss MA where 93 was everywhere and 94 wasn't too hard to find.
Just filled up with 93 which you can find at almost every decent gas station...in MA...not rubbing it in!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #8
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

I had reviewed the Lab results of both Boostane and Lucas and Boostane has lower increases in R+M/2 octane levels. Anyone can check and confirm.

Lucas tests;
http://volvospeed.com/Review/misc_pe...e_booster.html

Boostane lab attached;

Boostane went from 97.3 RON to 101 RON @ 100:1 which is 25 gal that’s an increase of 3.7 RON …….so the r+m/2 increase was 1.85 octane.

Lucas showed a 3.6 r+m/2 increase in octane ......
Attached Images

2004 Lamborghini Gallardo-Manual 6spd -Giallo Midas Pearl Yellow-Modified
2018 Range Rover Velar S-White
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeve19M5CP View Post
I had reviewed the Lab results of both Boostane and Lucas and Boostane has lower increases in R+M/2 octane levels. Anyone can check and confirm.

Lucas tests;
http://volvospeed.com/Review/misc_pe...e_booster.html

Boostane lab attached;

Boostane went from 97.3 RON to 101 RON @ 100:1 which is 25 gal that’s an increase of 3.7 RON …….so the r+m/2 increase was 1.85 octane.

Lucas showed a 3.6 r+m/2 increase in octane ......
just an FYI...I'm not here starting a fight or arguing with you, I'm sharing real life experiences and I know sometime people take things very serious on these forum.

Here are my thoughts

If you want to make crappy gas equal to 93 you run a can of Lucas, if you want to push timing and run something between full race fuel and pump gas you run a can of Boostane or VP.

Lucas does work, but it flattens early than a VP or boostane, especially when they both use MMT (lucas 1-5%) VP and Boostane
(3-5%) and the Lucas is half the volume 15oz vs 32 oz. Being that MMT is whats providing the actually gain here and the rest is delivery agent related in an apples to apples Lucas is capable of providing less than half the lift of VP or Boostane in its current volume. - per their own SDS. Dump enough of lucas and I'm sure once the MMT level are equal the'll even out.

Just to be clear a 100:1 mix for lucas (15oz) is one can to 12.5 gallons , 100:1 for Boostane (32oz) oz is one can to 26.4 gallons.

50:1 on lucas is one can to 6.25 gallons, or 2+ cans added to 13 gallons. As I've said I've found the sweet spot for Boostane is 10-12 gallons which is just under 50:1 and puts you right around 103 octane.

I've used Lucas and the timing gains are much less than that of Boostane, VP was actually best across all platforms I tested it on and I've never seen consistent logs on lucas its hit or miss, this could be related to their 1-5% range on MMT vs the smaller gap of 3-5% on VP or Boostane. - the last thing you want is consistency issues.

the volvospeed forum test is so old (8 years) and their test shows Lucas beating the NOS brand, when many other tests show the opposite.

So the takeaways are

Both use MMT
Lucas is 15oz vs Boostane and VPs 32 oz
Lucas MMT level range from 1-5%
Boostane and VP MMT levels range from 3-5%

Sure you could add 2-3 cans of Lucas, but what would worry me the most is the consistency, depending on what batch you get you could get little to no increase or the full potency.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomcgee View Post
just an FYI...I'm not here starting a fight or arguing with you, I'm sharing real life experiences and I know sometime people take things very serious on these forum.

Here are my thoughts

If you want to make crappy gas equal to 93 you run a can of Lucas, if you want to push timing and run something between full race fuel and pump gas you run a can of Boostane or VP.

Lucas does work, but it flattens early than a VP or boostane, especially when they both use MMT (lucas 1-5%) VP and Boostane
(3-5%) and the Lucas is half the volume 15oz vs 32 oz. Being that MMT is whats providing the actually gain here and the rest is delivery agent related in an apples to apples Lucas is capable of providing less than half the lift of VP or Boostane in its current volume. - per their own SDS. Dump enough of lucas and I'm sure once the MMT level are equal the'll even out.

Just to be clear a 100:1 mix for lucas (15oz) is one can to 12.5 gallons , 100:1 for Boostane (32oz) oz is one can to 26.4 gallons.

50:1 on lucas is one can to 6.25 gallons, or 2+ cans added to 13 gallons. As I've said I've found the sweet spot for Boostane is 10-12 gallons which is just under 50:1 and puts you right around 103 octane.

I've used Lucas and the timing gains are much less than that of Boostane, VP was actually best across all platforms I tested it on and I've never seen consistent logs on lucas its hit or miss, this could be related to their 1-5% range on MMT vs the smaller gap of 3-5% on VP or Boostane. - the last thing you want is consistency issues.

the volvospeed forum test is so old (8 years) and their test shows Lucas beating the NOS brand, when many other tests show the opposite.

So the takeaways are

Both use MMT
Lucas is 15oz vs Boostane and VPs 32 oz
Lucas MMT level range from 1-5%
Boostane and VP MMT levels range from 3-5%

Sure you could add 2-3 cans of Lucas, but what would worry me the most is the consistency, depending on what batch you get you could get little to no increase or the full potency.
Correct I also have no skin in the game but I very much like to make conclusions based on data say lab tests etc.....for all your above statements where are you getting this data...can you share evidence?

I showed both lab test results....you agree its a similar test (from a proportion standpoint) and can be compared ? and I am comparing r+m/2 octane and nothing else......the other numbers carry confusion since they are higher numbers

Hands down nothing beats VP race fuel in my opinion.....Lucas is meant for daily driving inexpensive octane boosting
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsman View Post
Boostane is an MMT basd octane booster and very effective, but not quite as effective as they claim. It will make 93 octane like 97 octane, for example. A lot of our customers use a less expensive booster called Lucas which is around $10 at most Wal-Mart stores and is also MMT based. It's not quite as powerful but close enough.

If you're on low grade fuel they are all going to help a bit but the power gains will be based on how much boost your tuning is capable of adding.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Correct I also have no skin in the game but I very much like to make conclusions based on data say lab tests etc.....for all your above statements where are you getting this data...can you share evidence?

I showed both lab test results....you agree its a similar test (from a proportion standpoint) and can be compared ? and I am comparing r+m/2 octane and nothing else......the other numbers carry confusion since they are higher numbers

Hands down nothing beats VP race fuel in my opinion.....Lucas is meant for daily driving inexpensive octane boosting

VP octanium acted very much like boostane for me and was a little stronger on timing but that could have been my mix. Octanium does turn your exhaust tips orange more than any other additive. - This is VP's latest octane booster, not a race fuel.

I agree that if you add 2 bottles of lucas you'll get similar octane numbers, but if you add 1 bottle (15oz) to a full tank (20 gallons) you are not getting a 100:1 mix, you end up with around 170:1. The key is keeping that 100:1 or 50:1 mixture.

The boostane test did not give AKI, they only tested RON, and without MON we cant get to that AKI.

Lucas MMT

VP and Boostane, more to come once too

and here is STP octane booster MMT just for the heck of it, which is the lowest.

I have Boostane here, I also have VP Octanium, I'll go to Walmart and pick up a can of lucas and run 3 tests with a control run using 93.

I’m genuinely curious how they all preform when used at the same ratio and in real life testing.

I’ll do the following

Pump gas 93 Sunoco control runs
100:1 mix for all - 6.4 oz to 5 gallons
(2) 4th gear pulls for each mix
pre-mixed in 5 gallons jugs
once the tank is nearly empty I'll run pump gas to clear out the left over mix.

I Think VP octanium will take the win, its also cheaper than Boostane, we'll see how the Lucas compares to Boostane on the F90 platform.

Last edited by turbomcgee; 03-27-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #13
Steeve19M5CP
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomcgee View Post
VP octanium acted very much like boostane for me and was a little stronger on timing but that could have been my mix. Octanium does turn your exhaust tips orange more than any other additive. - This is VP's latest octane booster, not a race fuel.

I agree that if you add 2 bottles of lucas you'll get similar octane numbers, but if you add 1 bottle (15oz) to a full tank (20 gallons) you are not getting a 100:1 mix, you end up with around 170:1. The key is keeping that 100:1 or 50:1 mixture.

The boostane test did not give AKI, they only tested RON, and without MON we cant get to that AKI.

Lucas MMT

VP and Boostane, more to come once too

and here is STP octane booster MMT just for the heck of it, which is the lowest.

I have Boostane here, I also have VP Octanium, I'll go to Walmart and pick up a can of lucas and run 3 tests with a control run using 93.

I’m genuinely curious how they all preform when used at the same ratio and in real life testing.

I’ll do the following

Pump gas 93 Sunoco control runs
100:1 mix for all - 6.4 oz to 5 gallons
(2) 4th gear pulls for each mix
pre-mixed in 5 gallons jugs
once the tank is nearly empty I'll run pump gas to clear out the left over mix.

I Think VP octanium will take the win, its also cheaper than Boostane, we'll see how the Lucas compares to Boostane on the F90 platform.
bang for the buck Lucas is $6.40 per bottle 15oz shipped....."One bottle is enough to make 10 gallons of 96.6 octane out of 93 (AKI - r+m/2). "

the bottom line is which one produces the highest AKI octane increase r+m/2.....and Boostane has lots of marketing Hype using RON octane numbers which are much higher than AKI thus confusing folks thinking they are making 100+ AKI octane with one bottle

this small octane boost will prevent detonation on the M5 probably below 24psi (boost levels for BMS stage 1 and Racechip)

anything over will need VP 109 race fuel or meth injection
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
bang for the buck Lucas is $6.40 per bottle 15oz shipped....."One bottle is enough to make 10 gallons of 96.6 octane out of 93 (AKI - r+m/2). "

the bottom line is which one produces the highest AKI octane increase r+m/2.....and Boostane has lots of marketing Hype using RON octane numbers which are much higher than AKI thus confusing folks thinking they are making 100+ AKI octane with one bottle

this small octane boost will prevent detonation on the M5 probably below 24psi (boost levels for BMS stage 1 and Racechip)

anything over will need VP 109 race fuel or meth injection
You can run map 2 on 93, map 3 can even been done on consistent quality 93, I run boostane and map 3 timing is very strong. you dont only need only MS109 which is 109 RON and 104 AKI. there are plenty of other fuels that will work just as well withtout needing 10% more fuel (ms109 stoich is 13.3) like GT260 plus or MS103

Do you have any logs with lucas and without? if not maybe you can take a few next time you run Lucas. You must have a bunch of logs between the two.

A lab test by volvospeed from 2011 does not provide real life results, might as well be bench racing. I'm gonna stick with my first hand data.

Last edited by turbomcgee; 03-27-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0