BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Racechip problems

03-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #23
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f90 white m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucanf90 View Post
Just mid pipe and axle back, i don't know maybe it's car. Maybe the bmw puts a block on leases for mods ? I dunno just a thought

But like I said I turn racechip off and run the numbers and get the exact same number if race was "on" which was 0-60 in 3.95 seconds and then sport is 3.6 .
First test is to plug your bypass plug in and rerun the test. A pure stock M5 is much faster than the posted Dragy. My elevation is much higher than yours and pure stock I could easily hit 3.2
That was no launch control FYI, just floor it at a standstill kinda thing
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #24
EDDYFIG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Check your passenger side AC vents, I heard that can cause the issue.
      03-25-2023, 10:25 AM   #25
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Realizing this is a relatively old thread, and having had the Racechip GTS Black installed for about 2 weeks now - I too feel there is zero difference in power/acceleration compared to stock.

Haven’t had the time to physically uninstall, compare, and reinstall to see if any difference, but playing with the three settings and “off”, the car functions like stock.

Everything is connected correctly (i.e., not plugged to O2 plugs or anything like that).

Any help appreciated.
Reventon Splitter /// Reventon Diffuser /// Addlights M Door LEDs /// Dinan Inlets /// Gentleman's Switch /// Paddleshifterz With Piano Black Steering Wheel Trim /// Charcoal Filter Delete /// Piano Black Side Skirts /// Funk Motorsports Turbo Blankets
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 01:51 PM   #26
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo1 View Post
Realizing this is a relatively old thread, and having had the Racechip GTS Black installed for about 2 weeks now - I too feel there is zero difference in power/acceleration compared to stock.

Haven’t had the time to physically uninstall, compare, and reinstall to see if any difference, but playing with the three settings and “off”, the car functions like stock.

Everything is connected correctly (i.e., not plugged to O2 plugs or anything like that).

Any help appreciated.
Did you never feel the increased power? Or did you have it and now you don’t? As you said, I’d do the uninstall/reinstall first. If that doesn’t help, you may have damage in the wiring harness.

On my previous M5, after having the RaceChip for a while, I uninstalled and reinstalled because of service at my dealer. Either during the uninstall or the reinstall, I pulled out one of the wires inside the harness. I did not know what was wrong, I just didn’t have the power I had before. I contacted RaceChip, they sent me a shipping label and off to Germany it went. After about a week and a half, they contacted me to tell me that the RC was fine, but that the wiring harness was damaged. They shipped back my RaceChip with a new wiring harness, and it worked flawlessly. Still using the same module on my new M5 after Ben @ r33_RGSport reprogrammed it for me remotely. Still functioning bulletproof.
      03-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #27
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
That’s a good point about the harness. I’ll check continuity to the pins today.

I haven’t done the physical uninstall since I first plugged the unit in two weeks ago. But correct, I find zero difference in power.
Reventon Splitter /// Reventon Diffuser /// Addlights M Door LEDs /// Dinan Inlets /// Gentleman's Switch /// Paddleshifterz With Piano Black Steering Wheel Trim /// Charcoal Filter Delete /// Piano Black Side Skirts /// Funk Motorsports Turbo Blankets
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #28
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That’s a good point about the harness. I’ll check continuity to the pins today.

I haven’t done the physical uninstall since I first plugged the unit in two weeks ago. But correct, I find zero difference in power.
If there was no difference in power from the beginning, it could very well be that inadvertent damage was caused to the harness. I was and am so careful with mine because I was scared of doing exactly what I did, and it still happened.
      03-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #29
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I’m super careful on connectors, having dealt with VW/Audi ones for years lol. Never actually broken tabs or pins ever - and I wrench a lot on numerous brands.

This was a demo unit I purchased from RG and we didn’t really know length of use previously. The harness actually looked brand new, so not sure if Ben just provided a new harness with the unit or not, but I’ll double check wiring.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      03-25-2023, 02:54 PM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
I’m super careful on connectors, having dealt with VW/Audi ones for years lol. Never actually broken tabs or pins ever - and I wrench a lot on numerous brands.

This was a demo unit I purchased from RG and we didn’t really know length of use previously. The harness actually looked brand new, so not sure if Ben just provided a new harness with the unit or not, but I’ll double check wiring.
Harness is new, just the unit.

Email me pictures on your installation, let me check on it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 04:14 PM   #31
Drtjxtz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

Hi Ben, what do you have to program when moving the RC from 2020 to 2023?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      03-25-2023, 04:28 PM   #32
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtjxtz View Post
Hi Ben, what do you have to program when moving the RC from 2020 to 2023?
Is it also F90 M5? If it same, just different year, I don’t think it is different.
But, PM me you serial number and I’ll check.
Appreciate 1
Drtjxtz160.00
      03-25-2023, 04:38 PM   #33
Drtjxtz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Is it also F90 M5? If it same, just different year, I don’t think it is different.
But, PM me you serial number and I’ll check.
Yes same f90 to f90. I'll pm the serial when I get back home.
Thank you
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      03-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #34
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

Ben - as per your request:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      03-27-2023, 04:03 PM   #35
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ben - as per your request:
Looks good.
I'll reply your PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 07:15 AM   #36
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Now got me wondering if I’ve got something wrong, too high expectations, or just a lack of awareness (which could definitely be the case.) I can’t say like Reslp or others that I feel such a night and day difference either. It feels fast with and without, It also might be I’m just not pushing it to the limit for the ROI maybe? But for sake of rule out, how do I tell if I’ve damaged the harness?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 11:17 AM   #37
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Now got me wondering if I’ve got something wrong, too high expectations, or just a lack of awareness (which could definitely be the case.) I can’t say like Reslp or others that I feel such a night and day difference either. It feels fast with and without, It also might be I’m just not pushing it to the limit for the ROI maybe? But for sake of rule out, how do I tell if I’ve damaged the harness?
I really feel no difference. I’ve got to do one more thing Ben mentioned, and that was to uninstall completely and try a pseudo a/b test. Haven’t had a chance to do that. But no, have never felt a difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 02:32 PM   #38
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Perhaps everyone’s perceptions of speed/being fast is different. But, as you said, I can definitely feel it. Was your unit purchased brand new?

For what it’s worth, the harness damage was not because of an issue with the unit. It was me that accidentally caused the damage, despite being super careful. Sometimes you can see when a wire is pulled out in the harness, but in my case I could not. RC in Germany ended up having to diagnose it, and I am confident that they were correct since I got that “feeling” it gives again once installing with the new harness.

I should also note that, for me, where I felt the difference was in acceleration, and not really anywhere else. Dragy has confirmed that it shaved a few tenths of a second off 0-60 (with and without 1 foot rollout) when I tested it in nearly identical conditions (including DA, ambient temperature, warm up time allowed, and amount of the fuel in the car).

Also, are you set to Map 7? Have you confirmed this by checking the display on the RC itself after turning the car on?
      04-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #39
Derosnec
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, Supra GR, Macan GTS

I didn’t feel a difference when I first installed the racechip. Took a few days but I think that’s just because it’s performance is felt most above 60+ imo.

Above 60mph and it pulls like hell compared to without the racechip. 0-60 eh not too different.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 03:26 PM   #40
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosnec View Post
I didn’t feel a difference when I first installed the racechip. Took a few days but I think that’s just because it’s performance is felt most above 60+ imo.

Above 60mph and it pulls like hell compared to without the racechip. 0-60 eh not too different.
Interesting take. While I agree that above 60 is where you feel it, especially at WOT, I can absolutely feel the difference at lower speeds (with hard acceleration) as well.
      05-16-2023, 12:19 AM   #41
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I really feel no difference. I’ve got to do one more thing Ben mentioned, and that was to uninstall completely and try a pseudo a/b test. Haven’t had a chance to do that. But no, have never felt a difference.
We’re you able to get this resolved?
      05-16-2023, 06:08 AM   #42
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
We’re you able to get this resolved?
Yes, upon reinstallation of the unit after a trip to the dealer for an oil change, there was a discernible difference. Just not a gangbuster increase in power that some say they experienced.
Appreciate 0