BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    Porsche 911 Turbo vs. M5 Competition

02-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #133
Maxwell04
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Noise: Stock Sports Exhaust on M5C is great! Makes me never want to play the B&W stereo which BTW, is pretty awesome. Better than the Burmeister in my 911

Vibration and Harshness: M5C is clearly smoother but I do everything I can to make it a "harder" ride. Not ever going to match ripping my 991.2 on an uneven harsh road.

When not pushing the M5C (driving to work on a conference call etc.), it is incredibly lush feeling but still has plenty of power at a moments notice
Appreciate 2
onfireX53616.50
vtknight966.50
      02-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #134
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell04 View Post
I'm the one who started this thread. Pulled the trigger on a fully loaded M5C in Frozen Dark Silver. Loved my 911 Turbo dearly but have not missed it at all. Totally different thrill factor between the two cars. The speed was instantaneous and could really feel the road and handling in my 911. The M5C handles really well, hides speed a bit more, but has an energy to it that you can't believe something built like a tank can be this nimble and fast!! I'm having the greatest time and I'm still in 1200 mile break in. As soon as I get in the car, I push my M1 button which is programmed to Sport Plus in everything and I use MDM and 4WD Sport.
The only thing I find quirky and a pain in the butt is when you downshift and the car goes into manual, it will not shift itself at redline. My 911 Turbo would always shift at redline no matter how much downshifting and manual you made it....
It's quite a shock when I forget in the M5C and my car jolts back secondary to redlining...
Pic attached
Poor M5C,
All this in the break in!
One can only wonder what you'd do to to post break in! LOL
Enjoy it man
I too believe in hard break ins
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:11 PM   #135
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Poor M5C,
Enjoy it man
Speaking of break in - did you follow the Porsche US (only) 2000 mile break in?

I am of the belief the key is the early oil change and then go to it...interested to hear your opinion (it seems there are two schools - drive it like you stole it and pamper it until Porsche says its okay). Porsche Europe owners do not get the limit number - they are just told to take it easy for awhile (I'm guessing lawsuits in the US).
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #136
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
Quote:
Poor M5C,
Enjoy it man

I am of the belief the key is the early oil change and then go to it...interested to hear your opinion (it seems there are two schools - drive it like you stole it and pamper it until Porsche says its okay). Porsche Europe owners do not get the limit number - they are just told to take it easy for awhile (I'm guessing lawsuits in the US).
Hard break ins are live and well and people rave about them, my issue not sure that includes all types of engines and makes?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #137
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hard break ins are live and well and people rave about them, my issue not sure that includes all types of engines and makes?
What I have found is the early oil change is critical. The C7 Z06 suffered engine failures due to debris in the new engine as it was broken in - so now GM recommends 500 mile pre/first oil change. For every car I have owned I have done that and so far I have been fortunate.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-01-2019, 11:33 PM   #138
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What I have found is the early oil change is critical. The C7 Z06 suffered engine failures due to debris in the new engine as it was broken in - so now GM recommends 500 mile pre/first oil change. For every car I have owned I have done that and so far I have been fortunate.
Makes sense!

They can dig deep and find out who pushed the engine during break in and it remains to be seen whether BMW would not honor warranty for such hard break in related issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:20 AM   #139
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Just cruising vs cruising, how would you compare the NVH of the F90 to the TTS ? Pirelli or Michelin in the TTS ?
I can't recall the tyres but definitely less noise in the F90, if I were to guess I believeit was Pirelli PZero Corsa. My M5 has PS4. Nevertheless the M5 is much quieter. I would say the 911 is a little bit worse than an E63 S in this regard. The M5 is definitely more insulated.than the 911.But the noise level in the 911 is more than tolerable.
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      02-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #140
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Turbo is loud enough to make the stereo pointless.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #141
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

I’m not waiting for 2000 miles. My method is similar to yours. If you’re going to baby drive them, the 2000 criteria makes sense. I don’t pound them for the first 500 miles , but I do various rpm ranges and never set “cruise control “ to a static number. Also do coast downs under gear load. “For me”, it’s all about mating surface areas. Never had an oil burner in 42 years using that method. Only deviation is my forged race engines. Heat them up for one cycle, dump the oil,let them rip. Never a failure.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      02-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #142
Maxwell04
Rep

Does anyone know a way around the M5C allowing you to redline in manual?? As soon as I downshift around a corner in Drive, the next thing I know, I'm hitting the rev limiter. Porsche's DCT would never let that happen when you floored it even in Sports +.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #143
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell04 View Post
Does anyone know a way around the M5C allowing you to redline in manual?? As soon as I downshift around a corner in Drive, the next thing I know, I'm hitting the rev limiter. Porsche's DCT would never let that happen when you floored it even in Sports +.
But surely this is the whole point of being in manual, you have to shift gears yourself ?. If it shifted for you, you would be in auto ?. There is no problem here, its doing what it says on the tin ?.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #144
Maxwell04
Rep

Let me clarify. When really drilling my 911 Turbo S in Sports +, you could downshift (by default, switching to manual) and get your hands planted back on the steering wheel, floor it, and not worry about the PDK upshifting at redline. Don't get me wrong, I love the transition to my M5C, but those are kind of the little oversights that a "luxury" car assumes its passengers/clientele aren't doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #145
chrysalis19
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500, Panamera 4S

Hi all. I did not notice a new member introductions section anywhere, so this seems like a good place to jump in. I’m excited I may have an opportunity to own an M5 in the near future. Would do a corporate lease a BMW will let me. I did that with an S6 long ago. Not a great car, but a chance to have a smooth V10 I guess .

Having owned several 911 turbos, the comparison certainly flatters the M5. I was not a huge fan of the persistently brutal ride journalists somehow all conspired to ignore , nor of the numb electric steering. My last porschd was a 991 turbo s that I don’t miss in the least.

M5 sounds near perfect DD but of course I must look at the E63 S as well. Has anyone driven both back to back? A friend in Florida just did and strongly preferred the AMG. I however am getting older, have young kids, do not want to deal with loud engines and harsh ride. Nor choppy clutches. Nor even air suspension, given recent failure of my Ram 1500 in northern WI.

I would swap to winter tires and would never track the car.

Are there any must have options? Great color combos? Blue/ beige was beautiful on my wife’s 535. Which, by the way, I liked more than her current panamera.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #146
Olsonan
Registered
Rep
Drives: A7 (current), 328i, 911 (past)

Just drove both M5C and the E63S

....as well as the AMG GT 4-door 63S, the M8C coupe, and the 992 911 2S.

I'm trying to make a decision and having a hell of a hard time.

I can offer that for sure the M5 has much better seats and felt more "solid" to drive than the E63S. Wireless Carplay in the BMWs is for me a very nice feature and not in any MBs that I am aware of. Both the AMG GT 63S and the E63S have the distinctive AMG sound which is kinda cool but also kinda sounds like you're a high schooler in a Firebird trying to get attention. Driving the GT 63S and the E63S really does no favors for the E63S, BTW. The GT 63S just feels more solid, faster (obviously), and much more luxurious.

Notably, the 5 series will be face-lifted soon while I believe the E series will be full update. That's a factor for me cuz I don't want an instantly old looking car.

As far as options I pretty much get everything so I'm the wrong person to ask. Both are pretty heavy so I'd get carbon ceramics if you are going to take either to the track (which you are not). The upgraded stereos are both way better than the stock systems.

I really like San Marino blue for BMWs although it is crazy bright. It also looks great in black with black wheels. I've seen rhodonite silver and Donnington gray in person and they are both very nice if somewhat common... great if you want to be incognito since silver is the most common car color at present in the US. I would get the silverstone because I'm sick of black and have been wanting a white interior. For the E63S black looks very good against the chrome (as with all MBs). Matte colors would look good on ether... I like the Selenite Magno a lot for the E63... I drove that color in the GT63S and it was really great looking against black wheels.

As far as the others....

The AMG GT 63S 4-door is a monster and won't beat an M5 unless it was on a track driven by a very good driver. It's also crazy expensive for equivalent options. The interior feels like Vegas (not great but not terrible, kinda like Vegas) but does feel "special" and lacks for nothing except for wireless Carplay. The massage seats were the best I've ever tried and even hit your ass (I have a bad back). Better than my Audi A7 seats and way better than the M5's which I can barely feel.

I initially wanted the M8 badly but can't justify the extra expense over an M5 purely on a value basis because it's really not any faster, the interior is only slightly nicer, and it lacks massage seats which, for me, is a must on a $100K+ luxury car. My wife also said it looks like "nothing special" and "like a Mustang" which didn't help : ) Why BMW didn't make it at least slightly higher HP and faster than the M5 is beyond my comprehension. And maybe a little more exotic looking on the outside (a la the previous 8 series in the 90s). The interior is also nice but not $150K+ nice for sure.

The 992 is by far the most comfortable 911 I've ever driven (I owned one a few years ago) and the only negatives I see with it is road noise, the lack of a HUD, and that any off-book color is $11K! The new interior is light years ahead of the last gen and even the Burmester sounded much better than the 991.2's (I tested both in the same showroom). I'd get a 4S heavily optioned and try to get it tuned up a few dozen horsepower or more. The negative here vs. the others is that MB and BMW dealers in my area allow for a 10x and 7x (your lease payment) security deposit which brings down the money factor a ton, almost equivalent to having put that same amount down as a down payment. So for example, if I get a 911 and put $25K down that money is gone whereas with a BMW or MB that money is returned at the end of the lease thus bringing the total cost down a ton.

Good luck with your decision! Drive both and I'll look out for your thoughts on this thread. For me the M5C wins for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #147
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Please any opinions on owning one or the other for high miles ownership, potentially 5+ years? (100k+ mileage). 911 turbo vs. M5
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #148
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
Please any opinions on owning one or the other for high miles ownership, potentially 5+ years? (100k+ mileage). 911 turbo vs. M5
In either case you will be screwed in resale and depreciation (unless you are leasing, but then the lease won't be cheap either).
911 Turbo is probably a more reliable car and cheaper in maintenance, given the reputation for being robust and its insane build quality.

The M5 is probably the more comfortable and pleasant car in terms of daily driving. Either way, you can't get go wrong.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #149
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
In either case you will be screwed in resale and depreciation (unless you are leasing, but then the lease won't be cheap either).
911 Turbo is probably a more reliable car and cheaper in maintenance, given the reputation for being robust and its insane build quality.

The M5 is probably the more comfortable and pleasant car in terms of daily driving. Either way, you can't get go wrong.
I am fortunate to have both at the moment - a 2019 Turbo S and 2019 M5 Comp - and they are both phenomenal cars. They are both quite different however. I find the Porsche much more special than the M5CE - and that is a somewhat biased thing to say as I daily my M5CE versus only use the Turbo S for fun drives in the Spring/Summer seasons. That said - they handle far differently and even put power down very differently. The M5CE has run a 10.8x at 129.5 and my Turbo S fairly close to a high 10.3x (10.43) at 133+. It is a substantial difference. I have added a picture of me losing to a Civic race car (actually I had the quicker ET, but he had the superior RT which I couldn't - just - make up). I post the pic to show the difference only 8 hundredths of a second is (not even a full tenth). so 4-5 tenths is about 4-5 car lengths.

The Turbo S is much more chuckable - on regular roads and the road course. And believe it or not - despite the non-DCT torque converter of the M5CE, the ZF trans although excellent - I do not find as smooth as the PDK in the Porsche. In fact, it is the first thing most people comment on - how smooth the Turbo S is. You feel the difference in size in every driving situation. On the track you do feel guilty throwing the Turbo S around versus the tire and brake beatings the M5CE takes - although being extremely good at it for its size.
For an every day however - the M5CE wins hands down. I am not driving my Turbo S in the winter - it just doesn't feel right to do so. The M5CE however is awesome in the snow with the appropriate tires, smooth and handles bumps like a champ (I prefer its suspension over the standard M5). Seats are great - with massage for both driver and passenger and the practicality of the real adult back seats and trunk space make it the ultimate all rounder in my opinion.
Maintenance has not been an issue for me on the BMW so far - but they have their reputation and I will be giving mine back before warranty expires. Porsche's are tanks from nearly all opinions and reviews - fit and finish is second to none. They even launched one over 200 hundred time - in a row.

Again - overall - as an all rounder, all season car - M5CE. For a more special and more performance all rounder (just not seasonal for me) - Turbo S.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Simon H874.50
CarlosM4399.00
Vic5518961.00
      01-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #150
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am fortunate to have both at the moment - a 2019 Turbo S and 2019 M5 Comp - and they are both phenomenal cars. They are both quite different however. I find the Porsche much more special than the M5CE - and that is a somewhat biased thing to say as I daily my M5CE versus only use the Turbo S for fun drives in the Spring/Summer seasons. That said - they handle far differently and even put power down very differently. The M5CE has run a 10.8x at 129.5 and my Turbo S fairly close to a high 10.3x (10.43) at 133+. It is a substantial difference. I have added a picture of me losing to a Civic race car (actually I had the quicker ET, but he had the superior RT which I couldn't - just - make up). I post the pic to show the difference only 8 hundredths of a second is (not even a full tenth). so 4-5 tenths is about 4-5 car lengths.

The Turbo S is much more chuckable - on regular roads and the road course. And believe it or not - despite the non-DCT torque converter of the M5CE, the ZF trans although excellent - I do not find as smooth as the PDK in the Porsche. In fact, it is the first thing most people comment on - how smooth the Turbo S is. You feel the difference in size in every driving situation. On the track you do feel guilty throwing the Turbo S around versus the tire and brake beatings the M5CE takes - although being extremely good at it for its size.
For an every day however - the M5CE wins hands down. I am not driving my Turbo S in the winter - it just doesn't feel right to do so. The M5CE however is awesome in the snow with the appropriate tires, smooth and handles bumps like a champ (I prefer its suspension over the standard M5). Seats are great - with massage for both driver and passenger and the practicality of the real adult back seats and trunk space make it the ultimate all rounder in my opinion.
Maintenance has not been an issue for me on the BMW so far - but they have their reputation and I will be giving mine back before warranty expires. Porsche's are tanks from nearly all opinions and reviews - fit and finish is second to none. They even launched one over 200 hundred time - in a row.

Again - overall - as an all rounder, all season car - M5CE. For a more special and more performance all rounder (just not seasonal for me) - Turbo S.

Good luck!
I owned a standard M5 along with my TTS. The above post nails it.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #151
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
The M5CE has run a 10.8x at 129.5 and my Turbo S fairly close to a high 10.3x (10.43) at 133+. It is a substantial difference. I have added a picture of me losing to a Civic race car (actually I had the quicker ET, but he had the superior RT which I couldn't - just - make up). I post the pic to show the difference only 8 hundredths of a second is (not even a full tenth). so 4-5 tenths is about 4-5 car lengths.
Great post. Thanks for the info!

I just can't resist mentioning that $900 and 20 mins of your own time results in an M5CE that'll do 10.33 at 133 on a farm road. I know, I know, you can tune the 911, too... let me express my envy as I see fit.
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #152
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Great post. Thanks for the info!

I just can't resist mentioning that $900 and 20 mins of your own time results in an M5CE that'll do 10.33 at 133 on a farm road. I know, I know, you can tune the 911, too... let me express my envy as I see fit.
Lol,- it is a valid point. And because of its all weather purpose-built sedan-ness - with that extra tuned poke as a one car option - its even harder to beat...
Appreciate 1
Vic5518961.00
      01-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #153
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Lol,- it is a valid point. And because of its all weather purpose-built sedan-ness - with that extra tuned poke as a one car option - its even harder to beat...
Agree on the one car point J--- I just will never ever stop loving P cars.

I drove the 992 C4S the other day, WTF!! how do they do it with 444 hp and a boxer 6. The car is ripping 0-60's in 2.8. I dont care about the sheer numbers as my needs have changed. I drive so many more interesting roads and canyons now that I might just get the car cause I want the chassis. No different than when I got the 991 back in 2012 to see how much better it was than the 997.2 Turbo S. Was it faster no, but that damn engineering of the dampers and springs along with the experience is amazing. Thats why I have a 2018 GTS right now.

Maybe get the 992 until the Turbo S comes out? Whats the guess on what that car will do stock?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
vtknight966.50
      01-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #154
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Agree on the one car point J--- I just will never ever stop loving P cars.

I drove the 992 C4S the other day, WTF!! how do they do it with 444 hp and a boxer 6. The car is ripping 0-60's in 2.8. I dont care about the sheer numbers as my needs have changed. I drive so many more interesting roads and canyons now that I might just get the car cause I want the chassis. No different than when I got the 991 back in 2012 to see how much better it was than the 997.2 Turbo S. Was it faster no, but that damn engineering of the dampers and springs along with the experience is amazing. Thats why I have a 2018 GTS right now.

Maybe get the 992 until the Turbo S comes out? Whats the guess on what that car will do stock?
Extremely hard guess since Porsche sandbags HP rating vs actual also.

Based on the weight gain due to the Hybrid future, and the HP gain....my guess is 10.2 at 136mph

The future Hybrid animal will be a 9.80 at 142mph....
Appreciate 0