BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Competition 1st drive reviews compilation

08-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

F90 M5 Competition 1st drive reviews compilation

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The 1st Drives are in! Feel free to add yours (I omitted non-English media except the videos as there are not a lot yet).

Motor Trend (US): https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...-drive-review/

CNet (US): https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...sedan-preview/

Car and Driver (US): https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Globe & Mail (CDN): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...t-is-it-worth/

Auto Express (UK): http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-s...on-2018-review

Top Gear (UK): https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...ck/first-drive

EVO (UK): https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/m5/21583/n...r-than-an-e63s

Car Advice (AUS): https://www.caradvice.com.au/672884/...tition-review/

Motoring (AUS): https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-m5-c...review-113946/

Cars Guide (AUS): https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...petition-70235

Which Car (AUS): https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...ormance-review

Video Reviews:

Autogefuhl:

Autovisie (NL):

Auto Bild (DE):
KevinM2931.00
      08-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Any acceleration tests ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
DallasLife345M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Uber

From Motor Trend review. This breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time.

“On the opposite end of the spectrum, the steering feel is as absent as the exhaust note is prominent. Though BMW has made strides on rediscovering the joys of tactile sensation, there's still a disconnect between the wheels on the ground and the wheel beneath my hands. The only time I feel something approaching feedback is when the lane departure warning vibrates the wheel. BMW engineers have proven they can program a mode for every occasion. So how about this: I'd love to see a Natural mode added to the mix, delivering a purity of steering feel and exhaust note. The rest of the M5 Competition experience is so visceral, so thrilling, so involving.”
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLife345M View Post
From Motor Trend review. This breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time.

“On the opposite end of the spectrum, the steering feel is as absent as the exhaust note is prominent. Though BMW has made strides on rediscovering the joys of tactile sensation, there's still a disconnect between the wheels on the ground and the wheel beneath my hands. The only time I feel something approaching feedback is when the lane departure warning vibrates the wheel. BMW engineers have proven they can program a mode for every occasion. So how about this: I'd love to see a Natural mode added to the mix, delivering a purity of steering feel and exhaust note. The rest of the M5 Competition experience is so visceral, so thrilling, so involving.”
Don't rely one one review as you have conflicting opinions from the others re steering feel and noise...
soooma1373.00
      08-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Any acceleration tests ?
Not so far, these are 1st drives organised by BMW... I believe the difference lies in the more focused handling of the Competition model (the power hike is, well, not much). Now the question is: does it justify the price difference since it's not really a track car... Having read all the reviews, I believe BMW made a mistake in not improving performance that much (something you can feel) but instead focused on the handling (which you don't really feel unless you do track days).

If I need to sum up the reviews in a couple of words I would say "slightly better". Now does it justify the price hike? In AUS it is $20K higher than the "regular" M5, which is already ludicrously priced at $200K (people mention our Luxury tax but IMO, BMW charges these prices because they can get away with it).
Jo-Sta07474.00
SJA1627.00
MNhv92.00
      08-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
ljb
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Early M5 adopters be like...

Appreciate 2
Simple1133.50
Db750278.00
      08-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #7
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Meh... bummer the performance increase isn't greater, although I'm not sure it's needed. Better looking ride height and better wheels are the best thing about this package to me and really all I'd care about (oh and the seatbelts).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #8
MrMoo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Not so far, these are 1st drives organised by BMW... I believe the difference lies in the more focused handling of the Competition model (the power hike is, well, not much). Now the question is: does it justify the price difference since it's not really a track car... Having read all the reviews, I believe BMW made a mistake in not improving performance that much (something you can feel) but instead focused on the handling (which you don't really feel unless you do track days).

If I need to sum up the reviews in a couple of words I would say "slightly better". Now does it justify the price hike? In AUS it is $20K higher than the "regular" M5, which is already ludicrously priced at $200K (people mention our Luxury tax but IMO, BMW charges these prices because they can get away with it).
Competition is actually 29k more lol. Unless there are some heavy discounts I may give it a miss and get the base.

In BMW's defense the 199k + on roads starting in Australia is actually fairly good. I certainly didn't expect that price when it launched. Given the exchange rate and the LCT + GST, the prices are fairly similar to that of US Prices.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:42 AM   #9
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Seems kind of pointless to have two separate M5 models which are so similar, but I have to assume that BMW knows what they're doing... These reviews don't shed much light on why BMW decided that it makes sense to offer both of these.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
Dumbo
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C, 19 720S, 19 Panigale

The reviews suggest the comp changes improve the handling of the car without sacrificing much comfort.

In the UK the Comp is only £6k more expensive than the base M5. Based on the reviews, I cant see the reason NOT to get the Comp version.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #11
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo View Post
The reviews suggest the comp changes improve the handling of the car without sacrificing much comfort.

In the UK the Comp is only £6k more expensive than the base M5. Based on the reviews, I cant see the reason NOT to get the Comp version.
The reviews are inconsistent on the comfort issue, so who knows...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #12
ljb
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoo View Post
Quote:

Competition is actually 29k more lol. Unless there are some heavy discounts I may give it a miss and get the base.

In BMW's defense the 199k + on roads starting in Australia is actually fairly good. I certainly didn't expect that price when it launched. Given the exchange rate and the LCT + GST, the prices are fairly similar to that of US Prices.
No need to justify the price hike... M5 Competition is the only model you can order for MY19 onwards in Australia.

Read:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/672884/...tition-review/
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #13
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

BMW press launches are really some of the most bland events from an outsider perspective, every outlet spouts off the same specs and the same talking points. It's not until months later when the real press cars are put out do we get some more interesting videos and reviews.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
gmfive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 AW

Garage List
2014 M5  [0.00]
When is the LCI slated to arrive - late 2019 or early 2020? I'm planning to hold out until then. The beast does crave HREs.
      08-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Any acceleration tests ?

$200k Aussie dollar or Murica Dollar? Well in Malaysia its USD 230k which is around AUD 300k but with 20inch and many high end goodies.
      08-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
I'm on my 6th M car-all M3s and M4s. I used to love getting in early, but I've decided to not do so any more. I've decided to wait for and only get competition models. The E92 and F82 comp models were clearly better versions and more what I envision the as an M buyer, especially for the F82. The aesthetic differences are noticeably better as well. I'm not sure if it's real, but the E92 comp pack seemed to handle at least as good as the the non ZCP F82 (maybe it was just the steering and engine note that seduced me). The ZCP F82 is what I think an M4 should be out of the gate. I'm guessing that the same holds true for the M5. I'm just glad that the comp models are coming out pretty soon after launch.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3770.50
      08-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #17
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb View Post
Maybe only until you drive them back to back.

I thought who in their right mind would pick a base M3/M4 over one with the competition pack - M3/M4 w/ ZCP it's just a better car. Then I drove one back/back when dealerships had their M event. The M3/M4 with competition pack was overly stiff for daily driving and just did not make sense if you do not plan on attending one track day. Based on these initial M5 Competition reviews read, it's the same thing. I would pick a base M5 over the M5 Competition solely for a more compliant ride.

That's just the car alone. You haven't considered the financial part of it. For cash buyers, it might be maybe worth it to spend the extra for the competition pack but if you're leasing it (like most are), there's likely going to be a noticeable bump in monthly payment and for what? A stiffer ride to get from home to work?

From an enthusiast point of view, it's easy to say BMW screwed over him and her but in the real world, the enthusiast isn't buying these cars. Once the M5 competition is fully in show rooms for delivery, watch how many here on this forum are going to pick the base M5 if given the chance because of the factors I mentioned above.
Appreciate 5
F32Fleet3539.50
RobbyMack738.50
mvigod179.50
soooma1373.00
      08-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #18
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
From an enthusiast point of view, it's easy to say BMW screwed over him and her but in the real world, the enthusiast isn't buying these cars. Once the M5 competition is fully in show rooms for delivery, watch how many here on this forum are going to pick the base M5 if given the chance because of the factors I mentioned above.
Just to tag on here I threw this out in another thread as well... any real enthusiast who cared about getting the comp pack and was following the release of the car closely would have known the comp pack was a fast follower. That info was readily available here and other enthusiast sites.
Bmw does a pretty good job (as far as major corporations go) of subverting it's large scale marketing campaigns and getting enthusiasts the info they care about to plan their purchases (eg scott26, not firing off cease and desists on the upcoming model thread... in fact scott26 often participates there)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Just to tag on here I threw this out in another thread as well... any real enthusiast who cared about getting the comp pack and was following the release of the car closely would have known the comp pack was a fast follower. That info was readily available here and other enthusiast sites.
Bmw does a pretty good job (as far as major corporations go) of subverting it's large scale marketing campaigns and getting enthusiasts the info they care about to plan their purchases (eg scott26, not firing off cease and desists on the upcoming model thread... in fact scott26 often participates there)
Agreed. If you are an enthusiast, you're likely on and following a car forum and would have known. For everyone else, they buy what they like and can afford or what is in their budget.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
frankchn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfive View Post
When is the LCI slated to arrive - late 2019 or early 2020? I'm planning to hold out until then. The beast does crave HREs.
The G30 (and F90) LCI has a SOP of July 2020 according to ynguldyn as a MY2021 car. The F93 M8 Gran Coupe will probably also be available in that time frame.
Appreciate 2
RPiM52855.50
gmfive98.00
      08-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Looking fwd to watching these when I wrap up with work for the day
      08-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #22
Cyberbug
Private
Rep
Drives: HP4

Garage List
I have done two test drives and on both occasions came back with a feeling that the steering was too numb and artificial exhaust note was annoying.
Appreciate 2
RPiM52855.50
phefner366.00