BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Apple CarPlay and Siri?

01-05-2023, 06:51 PM   #1
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Apple CarPlay and Siri?

So at first I thought I just hit the mic button on the steering wheel and Siri would come up even connected to my iPhone but it doesn’t. It seems like I need to go into the contacts and at the top it will say to use Siri? Is that the only way, it has to be easier than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
So at first I thought I just hit the mic button on the steering wheel and Siri would come up even connected to my iPhone but it doesn't. It seems like I need to go into the contacts and at the top it will say to use Siri? Is that the only way, it has to be easier than that.
For me, when connected through wireless CarPlay, "Hey Siri" always works, even if I'm listening to, for example, satellite radio. But that only works that way because I have my "Hey Siri" enabled for all the time. Enable it first on your device, and you should simply be able to use the voice command.

If CarPlay is connected, disconnect your iPhone through the mobile devices screen in iDrive.

Then on your phone:
Settings —> Siri —> Listen for "Hey Siri" enabled at the very top.

Go back and use the "mobile devices" screen in iDrive to tap "connect" to your iPhone.

Use "Hey Siri" as normal. Hey Siri should now call contacts, launch playlists in Apple Music by name, etc.

The steering wheel mic button is for iDrive voice commands, even with iPhone connected to CarPlay with a short press.

EDIT — Typos.

EDIT 2 — I stand corrected, a long press of the steering wheel mic button does activate Siri. Thank you armoredsaint and SenorFunkyPants!

Worth noting, following the procedure described above will still prevent you from even having to press the button.
      01-05-2023, 07:18 PM   #3
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
For me, when connected through wireless CarPlay, "Hey Siri" always works, even if I'm listening to? For example, satellite radio. But that only works that way because I have my "Hey Siri" enabled for all the time. Enable it first on your device, and you should simply be able to use the voice command.

If CarPlay is connected, disconnect your iPhone through the mobile devices screen in iDrive.

Then on your phone:

Go back and use the "mobile devices" screen in iDrive to tap "connect" to your iPhone.

Use "Hey Siri" as normal. Hey Siri should now call contacts, launch playlists in Apple Music by name, etc.

The steering wheel mic button is for iDrive voice commands, even with iPhone connected to CarPlay.
thanks, i'll give it a go - my other cars it's automatic when i hit the mic button and it's siri that pops up
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2023, 08:35 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
For me, when connected through wireless CarPlay, "Hey Siri" always works, even if I'm listening to? For example, satellite radio. But that only works that way because I have my "Hey Siri" enabled for all the time. Enable it first on your device, and you should simply be able to use the voice command.

Then on your phone:

The steering wheel mic button is for iDrive voice commands, even with iPhone connected to CarPlay.
thanks, i'll give it a go - my other cars it's automatic when i hit the mic button and it's siri that pops up
You're welcome! Let us know how it goes.
      01-06-2023, 01:28 AM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

In my (UK) car, a long hold on the voice button on the steering wheel brings up Siri in car play....a short press brings up the BMW voice activation.
Appreciate 3
      01-06-2023, 01:50 PM   #6
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
In my (UK) car, a long hold on the voice button on the steering wheel brings up Siri in car play....a short press brings up the BMW voice activation.
good point, i'll give that a try too

ETA: it works with the long press!

Last edited by NoMods; 01-06-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
good point, i'll give that a try too

ETA: it works with the long press!
Thank you both! Learned something new today!

Above comment edited to account for new (to me) info.