XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Test Drove the Infiniti FX50S Today

Despite being a BMW devotee, I get discounts on Infiniti's and given the price difference between the Bimmer and the FX I thought I'd check it out.

First the looks: I think it looks really good. The wheels make the car, but the styling overall is a big improvement. I liked it better in person; none of the strange angles that bugged me in pictures were as noticable.

Interior: The Java leather is really nice. The quilted pattern on the seats is a nice touch and overall the interior is a step up for the other Infiniti models (or at least the EX35 in the showroom that I was also looking at). Objectively, the interior in this is nicer than in the X6. Touchscreen nav is nice. Rear room is also better than in the X6, mostly due to the head room. I set the seat to my driving position and fit nicely in the back. In the X6, I felt like I'd need to slouch to sit in the back and I'm only 6ft tall.

Driving Impression: I haven't driven an X6 yet, so I can't compare, but I can compare this to my brother's '07 G35S sedan, and this car is faster and more fun to drive. Not quite as fast as my 335i, but I was impressed still. Steering felt nice and tight, again, to me it seemed sportier than the G35. Quick response off the line and then pulls nicely, though I didn't want to push the car too hard. New 7spd transmission is also an improvement over the G35. I was basically just driving in a straight line, so I can't say how it would feel around the twisties.

Cargo: The X6 seems like it has more room with the seats up. Seats down it's probably pretty close, though the extra headroom in the FX50 makes it more usuable IMO as your dog can actually sit up in the back (and even in the FX that may be difficult if you have a really big dog). Which leads me to the one drawback of both of these cars: The FX drives great, and I'm sure the X650i will be even better, but neither seems that practical to me. I was hoping to get something that was as fast as my 335i, but that I could use everyday for my dog and that I could go snowboarding and camping with. Both of these cars get pretty close in driving dynamics, but the utility is so compromised that it's not really that practical for all the things that justify getting the bigger car.

Assuming you don't share my concerns about the utility of these vehicles, my conclusion is that this is a really really nice car. As between the two, I still think the X6 looks better, and the V8 will certainly be even faster and will have flashes and the like to make it even better. If you're a true enthusiast, I'd go with the BMW. If you want something fun and fast, but don't need to race M3's on the road, I'd give the FX50S a long look given that it's so much cheaper and that if driving dynamics aren't your only concern, it executes most other aspects (technology, interior design, utility (slightly) and passenger room) better than the X6.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
Despite being a BMW devotee, I get discounts on Infiniti's and given the price difference between the Bimmer and the FX I thought I'd check it out.

First the looks: I think it looks really good. The wheels make the car, but the styling overall is a big improvement. I liked it better in person; none of the strange angles that bugged me in pictures were as noticable.

Interior: The Java leather is really nice. The quilted pattern on the seats is a nice touch and overall the interior is a step up for the other Infiniti models (or at least the EX35 in the showroom that I was also looking at). Objectively, the interior in this is nicer than in the X6. Touchscreen nav is nice. Rear room is also better than in the X6, mostly due to the head room. I set the seat to my driving position and fit nicely in the back. In the X6, I felt like I'd need to slouch to sit in the back and I'm only 6ft tall.

Driving Impression: I haven't driven an X6 yet, so I can't compare, but I can compare this to my brother's '07 G35S sedan, and this car is faster and more fun to drive. Not quite as fast as my 335i, but I was impressed still. Steering felt nice and tight, again, to me it seemed sportier than the G35. Quick response off the line and then pulls nicely, though I didn't want to push the car too hard. New 7spd transmission is also an improvement over the G35. I was basically just driving in a straight line, so I can't say how it would feel around the twisties.

Cargo: The X6 seems like it has more room with the seats up. Seats down it's probably pretty close, though the extra headroom in the FX50 makes it more usuable IMO as your dog can actually sit up in the back (and even in the FX that may be difficult if you have a really big dog). Which leads me to the one drawback of both of these cars: The FX drives great, and I'm sure the X650i will be even better, but neither seems that practical to me. I was hoping to get something that was as fast as my 335i, but that I could use everyday for my dog and that I could go snowboarding and camping with. Both of these cars get pretty close in driving dynamics, but the utility is so compromised that it's not really that practical for all the things that justify getting the bigger car.

Assuming you don't share my concerns about the utility of these vehicles, my conclusion is that this is a really really nice car. As between the two, I still think the X6 looks better, and the V8 will certainly be even faster and will have flashes and the like to make it even better. If you're a true enthusiast, I'd go with the BMW. If you want something fun and fast, but don't need to race M3's on the road, I'd give the FX50S a long look given that it's so much cheaper and that if driving dynamics aren't your only concern, it executes most other aspects (technology, interior design, utility (slightly) and passenger room) better than the X6.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I drove the FX50 yesterday as well with my wife and it has to be one of the most hideous looking SUVs I have seen. The chrome vents on the side are horrible as well as the front is very hard to look at with the huge grill. The rear is slightly improved and the interior was nice but my wife was very uncomfortable in the backseat. The driving experience was not even close to the same as X6 and had a lot more body roll. It was definitely a little faster than the X6 35i but I think the 50i will certainly be quicker. It was nice it came with 21" wheels but definitely did not ride as well as the X6

The one feature it does have that I really wish the X6 had was the surround camera view. Vehicle has 4 cameras (one in driver and passenger mirror, one on front bumper and one on rear bumper). Rear view camera was also much better than X6. Loaded with everything it was $65K and sales manager even offered to give me $3500-5000k off sticker if I made a deal yesterday.

At the end of the day it was $20k less than the X6 I have ordered and even though that sounds hard to pass up I am still gladly buying the X6.

Glad I drove it though.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Don't mean to rain on your parade but I drove the FX50 yesterday as well with my wife and it has to be one of the most hideous looking SUVs I have seen. The chrome vents on the side are horrible as well as the front is very hard to look at with the huge grill. The rear is slightly improved and the interior was nice but my wife was very uncomfortable in the backseat. The driving experience was not even close to the same as X6 and had a lot more body roll. It was definitely a little faster than the X6 35i but I think the 50i will certainly be quicker. It was nice it came with 21" wheels but definitely did not ride as well as the X6

The one feature it does have that I really wish the X6 had was the surround camera view. Vehicle has 4 cameras (one in driver and passenger mirror, one on front bumper and one on rear bumper). Rear view camera was also much better than X6. Loaded with everything it was $65K and sales manager even offered to give me $3500-5000k off sticker if I made a deal yesterday.

At the end of the day it was $20k less than the X6 I have ordered and even though that sounds hard to pass up I am still gladly buying the X6.

Glad I drove it though.
Well looks are subjective, either you like it or you don't. But like I said, if driving dynamics are impt, go with the BMW. Otherwise, the other car is nice and apparently it's $20K less.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

I've driven both and have a deposit on an X6 50i. As a current owner of an FX45, I was turned off by the FX50's styling as I felt it was a step back.

I was hoping that seeing it in person would change my mind. The FX50 DOES look better in person, but the X6 looks SOO much better.

The FX50's front seems to cut off too sharply underneath, the grill has this wavy ugliness to it instead of being straight and agressive (like the EX35), the vents on the side (although functional) look really tacky and in general, I feel it looks too similiar to my current FX45.

On the other hand, the interior on the FX50 is top notch, the paddle shifter's are nice (magnesium and wrapped in leather), the tech options also blow the X6 away. If people here took the time to see some of the cool tech on the FX50, it'd probably make them a little jeleous. It has 360 deg. view camera's, hard drive navigation, the hard drive can also rip all CD's you put into it onto your hard drive so you can have your whole music collection stored in your car, the cruise control can speed up and slow down on it's own and even come to a complete stop for you all by itself. With 390hp and a 7sp-auto, it does the 1/4 mile in 13.7 sec which is about what the X6 50i does. It also has active suspension and rear wheel steering.

Now ALL that being said, I felt like the FX50 was really a great option for me as I only drive an SUV in the winter or when I go shopping. But one thing that kept me from buying the FX50 was the driving experience.

The X6 handles so much better than the FX50 and the transmission on the X6 is WAY smoother and faster. The X6 just felt much more like a drivers car and less of an SUV. Plus, the X6 (to me) is WAY better looking and really turns my head when I see it. The FX50 kind makes me say "Damn, they could've really improved the new FX, but they took a step back instead".

Then again, it could also be a case of me looking for something new as I'm not interested in getting another Infiniti that's so similiar in looks.

That being said, I don't think someone who chooses the FX50 over the X6 is making a bad decision because the FX50 has many more pro's than the X6 does. It just happens that the X6 just has that special something that makes me want it more.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I've driven both and have a deposit on an X6 50i. As a current owner of an FX45, I was turned off by the FX50's styling as I felt it was a step back.

I was hoping that seeing it in person would change my mind. The FX50 DOES look better in person, but the X6 looks SOO much better.

The FX50's front seems to cut off too sharply underneath, the grill has this wavy ugliness to it instead of being straight and agressive (like the EX35), the vents on the side (although functional) look really tacky and in general, I feel it looks too similiar to my current FX45.

On the other hand, the interior on the FX50 is top notch, the paddle shifter's are nice (magnesium and wrapped in leather), the tech options also blow the X6 away. If people here took the time to see some of the cool tech on the FX50, it'd probably make them a little jeleous. It has 360 deg. view camera's, hard drive navigation, the hard drive can also rip all CD's you put into it onto your hard drive so you can have your whole music collection stored in your car, the cruise control can speed up and slow down on it's own and even come to a complete stop for you all by itself. With 390hp and a 7sp-auto, it does the 1/4 mile in 13.7 sec which is about what the X6 50i does. It also has active suspension and rear wheel steering.

Now ALL that being said, I felt like the FX50 was really a great option for me as I only drive an SUV in the winter or when I go shopping. But one thing that kept me from buying the FX50 was the driving experience.

The X6 handles so much better than the FX50 and the transmission on the X6 is WAY smoother and faster. The X6 just felt much more like a drivers car and less of an SUV. Plus, the X6 (to me) is WAY better looking and really turns my head when I see it. The FX50 kind makes me say "Damn, they could've really improved the new FX, but they took a step back instead".

Then again, it could also be a case of me looking for something new as I'm not interested in getting another Infiniti that's so similiar in looks.

That being said, I don't think someone who chooses the FX50 over the X6 is making a bad decision because the FX50 has many more pro's than the X6 does. It just happens that the X6 just has that special something that makes me want it more.

- KJ
Very well said. forgot to mention the active cruise control and 9.3GB hard drive to rips music. Those are both great features missing from the X6 but there is no way I could look at the FX50 everyday and Infiniti really took a step backwards on exterior styling
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:

- KJ
Very nice writeup! I've owned a G35x and kidda keep my eye on Infiniti!!! They are building some very solid autos today.I've always liked the FX design.The local Infiniti dealer had some new ones on the lot today.I was going to stop and look...just ran out of time today.I want to drive the new FX's so I can compare to the X6.Thanks. PalBay
      06-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:

- KJ
I agree, the FX50 does have some neat technological gadgets that would improve the appeal of the X6. I'm not a 100% sure but I believe I've seen the all around view camera feature as an option on the X6. I don't think I saw it in any catalog but if memory serves me right, it was in the parts database along with some drawings. There is a camera in the front bumper and one in the bottom of each exterior rear view mirror and uses the backup camera for the rear view. I've only seen it once and thought that be neat to add later since they don't advertise it anywhere.

As far as handling goes, I agree that the X6 handles SOOOO much nicer than the FX50 does. Granted that the FX50 did have more pulling power than the 35i I test drove, but the 50i should change that in favor of the X6.

The first time I test drove an FX (about 2 years ago and it was an FX45), my wife summed it up as 'It feels like driving in a bubble'. That's the way I felt when I drove the car and the new FX50 didn't really change that feeling by much. on the other hand, the X6 is something different (especially compared to the X5). IMO it is refreshingly different looking and feels simply great, especially if you have fun on a twisty road!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
JGQ
Registered
Rep
Drives: FX35 (soon X5 35d or X6 35i)

Both are good cars. I am a current FX owner, and to me it came down on style and IMHO the X6 wins big.

PS. I'm a new memeber to Xbimmers.com. Just joined since I noticed that it is one the most active X6 forums I could find
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGQ View Post
Both are good cars. I am a current FX owner, and to me it came down on style and IMHO the X6 wins big.

PS. I'm a new memeber to Xbimmers.com. Just joined since I noticed that it is one the most active X6 forums I could find
I agree. No better forum for info on the X6.

Enjoy your X6!