BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Gesture control coding

04-27-2024, 10:25 AM   #1
mm5300
Private
Rep
Drives: M5C

Gesture control coding

Does anyone know if there is specific coding in iDrive for gesture control? And if so, is it an all or none setting, or something that can be changed to turn off one of the gestures? I'm trying to figure out an issue.
It was working and I took the car into the dealership. Even though I told them not to, they reset the iDrive and cleared the changes that had been done. It also upgraded it to a newer software version. I had someone code the changes back and it seems like it was tougher to do with the new software. But now the gesture control is hit or miss (mostly miss) and the only one that seems to work at all is using the two finger gesture. I appreciate any info that can be provided.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 09:01 PM   #2
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

FWIW, I have been wondering if something is wrong with my gesture control.
I only have two settings
The volume twirl finger, and the point thing that can be set to do one function and that’s it.
I keep seeing people say you can program to answer calls by swiping, and do other things. I only can find the option for those two though.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:32 AM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Gesture control “worked” so much more often when I didn’t want it to than when I did, that I just turned it off completely. And I’m the guy that swears by the “trunk kick,” despite so many people expressing the same sentiment about that.

Sorry, OP. I know this doesn’t answer your question at all.
      04-28-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
I accidentally activate it on my wife's car all the time when she's driving. I don't see the use case for my car since the steering wheel controls are more accessible than moving my hand to where the gesture control is. Now if there was a certain "gesture" when on cruise control that would automatically engage Sport+ and D3 and execute a rapid lane change around the car in front of you that would a feature I could understand
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2024, 08:50 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have a piece of black tape over the sensor
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 01:34 PM   #6
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have a piece of black tape over the sensor
I remember seeing you mention that before. Why not just turn it off in iDrive?
      04-30-2024, 06:24 PM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I may not have known at the time. There is much the car can do that I have not learned. I spend more time driving and modding and maintaining than cleaning and figuring out all the features. I have used the adaptive cruise control before and that is sort of interesting — the car can follow another car to some degree. Have never tried the self park feature. I grew up in Washington, DC and learned how to parallel park.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2024, 07:48 PM   #8
mm5300
Private
Rep
Drives: M5C

So apparently the gesture control does work, but it seems like the update might have made it more sensitive or something. The way it worked before doesn't but now, but if I'm more deliberate and exact with the motion it works. I don't use it very often and it can be a pain, but I'm kinda OCD about my car and don't like when things don't work when they should.
Appreciate 0