BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-12-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Rattle in passenger door speaker on specific low frequencies

I realized that my passenger door speaker has developed a rattle.

This happens only when there is music playing and specific low bass frequencies are hit (like during a beat). Does not matter if the car is on or not. Whether it's being driven or not. It is particularly pronounced when music with a lot of bass is playing.

So I'm convinced this is purely either a faulty speaker or something not quite right with the speaker mounting. Researching online suggests that the speaker could be damaged, but that it could also be a faulty amplifier. I play music at 25-30% but bass is turned up.

Unfortunately, this has also proven to me that turning off ASD does not fully turn off ASD (just reduces it) - the speaker rattles on the upshift "thuds" with no music playing.

I've an appointment to have this looked at, but I want to:
- hear if anyone else is faced this before in this generation (or earlier)
- hear what your considered opinion is.
      07-12-2022, 07:31 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Do a 80Hz-200Hz sweep, check for door rattles before going to dealer. If no door rattles then do a 30Hz-80Hz sweep, it could be an underseat woofer rattling.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas832.50
      07-12-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Do a 80Hz-200Hz sweep, check for door rattles before going to dealer. If no door rattles then do a 30Hz-80Hz sweep, it could be an underseat woofer rattling.
Great suggestion! I ran this in high def:

It's rattling extremely obviously and the most in the 25 Hz to 40 Hz range. And the rattle goes up a little again I think around the 55 Hz to 60Hz spot before gradually reducing and disappearing completely at 95 Hz.

Then I ran this other video in high def too:

Same effect and there are no issues past the low frequencies. No issue at all > 100 Hz.

Could it be coming from under the seat? Maybe. But it sounds a lot like it's coming from the speaker behind the handle. Could be a case of human failure to distinguish especially because bass is less directional.

The videos above were run in drive-ready mode parked in the garage. Touching the door panels did nothing to reduce the rattling noise. But it's definitely from the passenger side, the driver side is just smooth bass.
      07-12-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Unplug the booster and try again… the underseat woofers will be disconnected, a sweep below 100hz should not be heard loud enough from the mids in the doors to create a rattle.

A rattle below 40Hz definitely will not come from the mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Great suggestion! I ran this in high def:

It's rattling extremely obviously and the most in the 25 Hz to 40 Hz range. And the rattle goes up a little again I think around the 55 Hz to 60Hz spot before gradually reducing and disappearing completely at 95 Hz.

Then I ran this other video in high def too:

Same effect and there are no issues past the low frequencies. No issue at all > 100 Hz.

Could it be coming from under the seat? Maybe. But it sounds a lot like it's coming from the speaker behind the handle. Could be a case of human failure to distinguish especially because bass is less directional.

The videos above were run in drive-ready mode parked in the garage. Touching the door panels did nothing to reduce the rattling noise. But it's definitely from the passenger side, the driver side is just smooth bass.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas832.50
      07-12-2022, 09:09 PM   #5
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Unplug the booster and try again… the underseat woofers will be disconnected
I'm assuming you mean disconnect the underseat speakers from the amp? Unfortunately I don't know how to do this, and attempts to figure out steps to do this hasn't gone anywhere.
      07-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I solved the problem myself. It’s the dumbest thing.

At some point I tossed a rolled up paper receipt on the passenger seat. Under hard cornering I guess, the receipt flew against the passenger door and down onto the speaker cover under the seat.

Picked up and tossed the receipt, and ran all the tests and music again. Everything’s perfect. Cancelling my appointment - user error.
      07-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

LOL, it's may sound dumb but it happens quite a lot!
Glad you found the culprit!
Appreciate 1
kjx3214.00
      05-03-2024, 12:59 PM   #8
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I’m having this issue (but no receipts found)

Initially had the Technic PnP harness running to an ACM-2.300 powering SWS-8 USW with no issues.

Started craving more bass, added the Technic provided LOC -> Audio Control ACM-2.300 powering USW (SWS-8) + an AudioControl LC-1.800 powering a 12” clarion sub.

LOC
RCA Y splitter cables
One set of RCAs going to ACM-2.300
One set of RCAs going to LC-1.800

I can literally feel the exhaust drone coming thru the USW (as the ground below my feet vibrate/rattle) once I added the LOC & AC LC-1.800 amp.

I’m splitting the 2 amps via RCA splitters coming from the LOC. I’m running the SST valve controller and so I no longer use the M1/M2 to change open/close the valves but if I utilize the M1/M2 settings the drone gets even worse
Appreciate 0