BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Weird Noise Coming From Rear Of Car

06-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
MattW080376
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 M5 Comp

Weird Noise Coming From Rear Of Car

Picked up a new 2019 M5 Comp back in April, had the running in service done, then a few weeks back i had this very strange noise appear from the rear of the car.

It only appears to happen from cold start, only happens for about 5-10 mins sporadically, then goes away.

I've seen something on the US forums with a similar problem, but not on the UK one.

its going in for a check tomorrow and hopefully the dealer can fix it.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1569843&page=5
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
M4RC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Could be the rear diff if it only happens from cold, what sort of noise is it?
Appreciate 1
BwatM554.00
      06-27-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
MattW080376
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

the only way to describe it is it sounds like a balloon being deflated slowly when the opening of it is being pulled tight....or the noise that a reed makes when you blow over it in your hands...i've got a clip of it, but can't post it anywhere.

the garage have had it in for the day but can't replicate it, as predicted, so i've told them to keep it overnight and try it from cold in the morning....i've asked them to keep it until its fixed
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
M4RC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Any joy with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
MattW080376
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

No joy yet, I took the technician out with me for a drive yesterday afternoon from a cold start, but unsurprisingly it didn't occur. so they've kept the car for more investigation and testing...

the technician was very receptive to my feedback on the noises and where its coming from and i showed him the posts from the North America forum which has work orders on etc.

I have to say the dealer have been fantastic and are trying to get it resolved ASAP, they've lent me a 840D to run around in whilst my car, is hopefully, fixed....

i'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:46 AM   #6
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW080376 View Post
No joy yet, I took the technician out with me for a drive yesterday afternoon from a cold start, but unsurprisingly it didn't occur. so they've kept the car for more investigation and testing...

the technician was very receptive to my feedback on the noises and where its coming from and i showed him the posts from the North America forum which has work orders on etc.

I have to say the dealer have been fantastic and are trying to get it resolved ASAP, they've lent me a 840D to run around in whilst my car, is hopefully, fixed....

i'll keep you posted.
Please tell me which dealer this is as all I seem to get as courtesy cars are 118d's
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
Ia310
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Chalk

Did you get this fixed?
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1569843
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
mcdokika
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 CP

Took the car to the local BMW service , had the same noise as other people .https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1569843&page=5

Showed this video to them, and labour sheets too from this thread .

Luckily the engineer knew about this as apparently he had had this before .

Anyhow, this was on last Tuesday, 9 days ago, I got a call on Thursday last week that my car needs full rear differential replacement and they had already asked for authorisation for replacement from BMW UK !!

Whaaaat ??? Car is 1 year old, has got 7k on the clock and needs new rear differential ?? A nearly new BMW M5 Competiton Pack ... Ridiculous , isn't it ??

I could only tell them that I had never had any issues with the rear diff. however they said they found this issue while they were fixing the noise problem and the car is not safe to drive as it is !

2 days later they managed to hire a car from Enterprise, it's a 520d , absolutely fine.

Have had a call today, that the part has arrived from Germany and they may be able to fix by tomorrow afternoon.

Most people who I talked to about this issue , have advised me to complaint to BMW UK and ask for a different car, however to be honest I don't think so that would work in this case , even though the cost of this repair with labour is roughly 10k !

What do you think guys ? Shoud I stand up and start disputing, complaining about this case or as long as it's fine just forget it and use the car ..

Car is on PCP, after this will probably change to something else, either a different BMW or different brand . I love this car, love the performance of it the way how it drives etc. But I would lie , if I said that ,that this problem did not leave a bad taste in my mouth .

Thank you .