BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    refuse updates

02-12-2024, 07:23 AM   #1
needless rules
Rep
Drives: bmw m5c

refuse updates

Hello,
I'm taking my 2019 m5c in for an oil change on an extended service contract with my local Bmw stealership.
Can I refuse any updates and are they required to honor my request? Thanks for replies.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 07:55 AM   #2
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

You can ask them to not update, but if they were to update I cannot think of any actual recourse you would have.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:44 PM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needless rules View Post
Hello,
I'm taking my 2019 m5c in for an oil change on an extended service contract with my local Bmw stealership.
Can I refuse any updates and are they required to honor my request? Thanks for replies.
Yes you can! I never update software — especially if I am not having a specific issue the software update addresses.

I keep this printed sign on a laminated piece of 8.5 x 11 inch paper, in my trunk at all times. When I arrive at the dealership, I use a piece of masking tape to tape it over the iDrive screen.

It’s always worked and I’ve never had a problem. I also mention this desire each and every single time at check in, and, I manually hand write it on the paperwork myself when they ask me to sign the work authorization before I hand it back over.

I do this for two reasons — BimmerCode settings, and, for the errant BP thread that pops up every now and then alleging that the software update decreased an owner’s exhaust volume or removed pops and burbles. I don’t always know if there is any truth to it, but I alsoc don’t want to find out myself.

EDIT — Also, crap like this.
Attached Images