BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Real Talk- RC Black or JB4 or..?

05-01-2022, 09:31 PM   #45
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Came to the dealer with the engine problem, they scanned the car, did their diagnostics and determined that the car was operating way outside of stock parameters and declined to fix the issue.
How long had the piggy been removed before taking it to the dealership ?
Full tank of gas
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #46
lankymidget
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Interesting...

Quote:
Came to the dealer with the engine problem, they scanned the car, did their diagnostics and determined that the car was operating way outside of stock parameters and declined to fix the issue.
Interesting... I'm in and around the GTA, just got a piggyback installed by the dealer. Now there's an 'understanding' around this but I know there will be specific or extreme cases where the warranty will be denied because of this.
Question I have is... what was 'the engine problem'??
and... which vehicle was it?
(if its already posted specifically, happy to read through the post if I can get a link, please)
      05-02-2022, 10:21 PM   #47
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m550

Quote:
Full tank of gas
Yea we're gonna need some more info. What other mods did you have? What was the engine problem? What exactly did they tell after diagnosis test? What piggyback did you use?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #48
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankymidget View Post
Quote:
Interesting... I'm in and around the GTA, just got a piggyback installed by the dealer. Now there's an 'understanding' around this but I know there will be specific or extreme cases where the warranty will be denied because of this.
Question I have is... what was 'the engine problem'??
and... which vehicle was it?
(if its already posted specifically, happy to read through the post if I can get a link, please)
I assume you got Dinan piggyback installed from Budds in Oakville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
Quote:
Full tank of gas
Yea we're gonna need some more info. What other mods did you have? What was the engine problem? What exactly did they tell after diagnosis test? What piggyback did you use?

Not sure if I want to share any more detailed information on public forums.

But it is not anything new to anybody here, if you come to the dealer with a major engine issue, for example "the engine is knocking". They will do their work and dig in and see what was going on exactly before the issue happened. Flash tune or piggyback, they will know. There are tons and tons of threads on this forum discussing this very subject.

There was also an interesting read on these forums from that time when BMW first introduced that automatic detect for flash tune on their system few years ago. There was even a BMW tech who joined the discussion and in detail described how BMW can easily tell you were tuned, doesn't matter flash or piggy. I will try to find that thread.

The bottom line is, that if you are planing to tune your car, doesn't matter flash tune or piggyback, expect to pay out of your pocket, if the engine blows.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 07:07 AM   #49
cyberonetwo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure if I want to share any more detailed information on public forums.

But it is not anything new to anybody here, if you come to the dealer with a major engine issue, for example "the engine is knocking". They will do their work and dig in and see what was going on exactly before the issue happened. Flash tune or piggyback, they will know. There are tons and tons of threads on this forum discussing this very subject.

There was also an interesting read on these forums from that time when BMW first introduced that automatic detect for flash tune on their system few years ago. There was even a BMW tech who joined the discussion and in detail described how BMW can easily tell you were tuned, doesn't matter flash or piggy. I will try to find that thread.

The bottom line is, that if you are planing to tune your car, doesn't matter flash tune or piggyback, expect to pay out of your pocket, if the engine blows.
Do you think the piggyback was the cause of your engine issue or was it just something BMW was able to point to without digging deeper? Did you have any other mods?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #50
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberonetwo View Post
Do you think the piggyback was the cause of your engine issue or was it just something BMW was able to point to without digging deeper? Did you have any other mods?

Good point. A plain Stage 1 piggy or a higher level piggy with E mixed fuel ?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 05:59 PM   #51
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post
So I got the Jb4 installed and to be honest, I'm not massively impressed v the chip. It's got a touch more HP but less torque and it doesnt feel as responsive in low revs. I'm thinking of going back to the chip I had in it.

I'll post the dyno results which showed stock v chip v jb4.
Promises, promises...
Here we are!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MNoob1539.50
onfireX53618.50
M5 London337.00
      05-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #52
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m550

Quote:
Here we are!
Is old box the race chip?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #53
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

They look about equal overall to me. Maybe the JB4 additional inputs only come to life at higher boost levels and octane or maybe you ran the JB4 with only 2 wire hookup and all the 2 wire piggybacks are in the same ballpark.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 01:45 AM   #54
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
Quote:
Here we are!
Is old box the race chip?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #55
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Here we are!
Which brand dynamometer ?

RC looks killer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #56
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Neither look “killer” to me. Both look like typical stage 1 improvements over stock, though, and that is certainly enough to notice. RC adds a little more boost and/or timing in the mid range compared to JB4 and JB4 adds a little more boost and/or timing in the top end compared to RC. RC had the benefit of 55F temp while JB4 had to work in 66F temp. The numbers may be corrected to a standard but that is the output that has corrected — if timing is pulled due to heat the dyno does not know and the software does correct for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 10:45 AM   #57
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Neither look “killer” to me. Both look like typical stage 1 improvements over stock, though, and that is certainly enough to notice. RC adds a little more boost and/or timing in the mid range compared to JB4 and JB4 adds a little more boost and/or timing in the top end compared to RC. RC had the benefit of 55F temp while JB4 had to work in 66F temp. The numbers may be corrected to a standard but that is the output that has corrected — if timing is pulled due to heat the dyno does not know and the software does correct for that.
How would RC change timing?
      05-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #58
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don’t know what is intercepted and altered and sent back. But the midrange bump in RC’s favor and the top end bump in JB4’s favor have to be explained by something and the two things that can make a bump like these are increases to boost and timing targets.

Piggybacks and tunes make power by using up the safety margins the factory adds — leaning the AFR, adding boost, increasing timing. Sometimes there are other tricks like altering cam timing to take advantage of less exhaust back pressure from eliminating cats, but there is no magic. The aftermarket tuners don’t know any secrets that BMW does not know about tuning.

A piggyback certainly can change timing, though as I noted by using “and/or” in my original post, I don’t know whether the RC or JB4 do. I had a Vishnu Procede piggyback on my naturally aspirated E90 M3 that controlled a water meth injection system. It increased timing targets when the meth was flowing.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01157.00
      05-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #59
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
I don’t know what is intercepted and altered and sent back. But the midrange bump in RC’s favor and the top end bump in JB4’s favor have to be explained by something and the two things that can make a bump like these are increases to boost and timing targets.

Piggybacks and tunes make power by using up the safety margins the factory adds — leaning the AFR, adding boost, increasing timing. Sometimes there are other tricks like altering cam timing to take advantage of less exhaust back pressure from eliminating cats, but there is no magic. The aftermarket tuners don’t know any secrets that BMW does not know about tuning.

A piggyback certainly can change timing, though as I noted by using “and/or” in my original post, I don’t know whether the RC or JB4 do. I had a Vishnu Procede piggyback on my naturally aspirated E90 M3 that controlled a water meth injection system. It increased timing targets when the meth was flowing.
      05-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #60
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Maybe you know more and can help us understand why one piggyback has a stronger midrange and the other has a stronger top end? I simply installed my JB4 using all inputs, set it to Map 2, added meth and enabled for all maps and left it alone. Have not explored further, but will be since I bought a BM3 and will need to either do a BEF or put the JB4 on Map 0 with meth enabled or play around with the custom user map.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:12 AM   #61
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Hi all

Recent arrival into the M5 community after picking up a 2019 M5 Comp. Beautiful machine!

Quick question regarding piggybacking etc. When installed do you lose any functionality of the engine power modes (Efficient/Sport/Sport Plus)? Does the tune work across all options....?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #62
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz M5 View Post
Hi all

Recent arrival into the M5 community after picking up a 2019 M5 Comp. Beautiful machine!

Quick question regarding piggybacking etc. When installed do you lose any functionality of the engine power modes (Efficient/Sport/Sport Plus)? Does the tune work across all options....?
You wont lose any functionality , everything will work exactly the same and your tune will work across all options

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
Oz M546.50
fraschusa192.50
      08-07-2023, 12:11 PM   #63
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You wont lose any functionality , everything will work exactly the same and your tune will work across all options
Thanks Mike.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 04:06 PM   #64
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz M5 View Post
Thanks Mike.
My pleasure

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 11:01 AM   #65
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Maybe you know more and can help us understand why one piggyback has a stronger midrange and the other has a stronger top end? I simply installed my JB4 using all inputs, set it to Map 2, added meth and enabled for all maps and left it alone. Have not explored further, but will be since I bought a BM3 and will need to either do a BEF or put the JB4 on Map 0 with meth enabled or play around with the custom user map.
Boost, the RC is tuned with a little more boost in he midrange is all that is different. The RC only intercepts and modifies boost signals, that's why it's so easy to install.
JB can do a lot more, but it's a can do depending on what in all is installed.
Install more sensor connections, you can control more stuff and modify more parameters. Install the same boost signals only like the RC does, you get about the same level of control as the RC
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 11:07 AM   #66
evanaswan
Yngwie J Malmsteen
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 GC - G07 X7

Ok, my official butt dyno has the results. On my 4th M and all had Jb4 and early ones BootMod as well. Just got a 2024 M8 and tried the RaceChip out of curiosity and simplicity. It's well made. Last night I decided to try the JB4 with EWG conected. Well Map 1 pulled a littler harder than the RC. More trq possibly, but it's staying in. It's better on map1 with EWG in. Now I was told EWG's really don't kick in until Map2. Hands down I like the feel of the JB4 better.

For note. you can turn off the EWG on bit5 in the JB4 app. While in Map2 and turning this off and on, it's a very feelable difference.

Food for though everyone.
Appreciate 0