BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Real Talk- RC Black or JB4 or..?

04-02-2022, 08:12 AM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Secondary downpipes should not throw a CEL. Some high flow cat primary downpipes will throw a CEL. It depends on how effective the high flow cat is. The most expensive ones probably use higher grade cats that are good enough the 02 monitoring does not know the difference, like maybe Fabspeed, Active Autowerk, Keller and Red Star.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #24
CarEnthusiast29
Rep
Drives: 22BMW M5CS 2021 LamboSVJ Rdstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeanM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
Quote:
I have a jb4 on my m5 CS and love it. I didn't go flash tune because I didn't want to instantly blow my warranty. The power difference is noticeable. The car feels that much faster and even more fun to drive now. And it's so cheap for the gains you get.
You can't go flash tune on your CS (right now, unless you wanted to send your ECUs to Russia), so there's that, too.
Yeah but people like DME would send it out and then flash it, so you can do a flash tune if you want. Like I said, I didn't want a blown warranty right now
So you'd rather wait and find out that you have no warranty after your engine blows?

You'll get caught either way. When you mod your car, you just pray that nothing fails. If it does, they will dig in and see.
That's not true, first a Jb4 can be removed. Second bmw does not bust balls for exhaust or intakes etc. a flash tune automatically voids your warranty where a piggy back does not always.
I was told by my local shop that some downpipes would bet about 20/30 whp but would throw a CEL
It will add that power
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #25
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have a jb4 on my m5 CS and love it. I didn't go flash tune because I didn't want to instantly blow my warranty. The power difference is noticeable. The car feels that much faster and even more fun to drive now. And it's so cheap for the gains you get.
You can't go flash tune on your CS (right now, unless you wanted to send your ECUs to Russia), so there's that, too.
Yeah but people like DME would send it out and then flash it, so you can do a flash tune if you want. Like I said, I didn't want a blown warranty right now
So you'd rather wait and find out that you have no warranty after your engine blows?

You'll get caught either way. When you mod your car, you just pray that nothing fails. If it does, they will dig in and see.
That's not true, first a Jb4 can be removed. Second bmw does not bust balls for exhaust or intakes etc. a flash tune automatically voids your warranty where a piggy back does not always.
I was told by my local shop that some downpipes would bet about 20/30 whp but would throw a CEL
It will add that power
Problem is I don't want a CEL
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #26
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It will add that power
I have catless secondary down pipes and it doesn't have any CEL issues and it definitely added performance and better sound! Definitely recommend
Appreciate 1
Laoschris491.00
      04-03-2022, 07:58 PM   #27
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMA89 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It will add that power
I have catless secondary down pipes and it doesn't have any CEL issues and it definitely added performance and better sound! Definitely recommend
What kind and where did you get them installed ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #28
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It will add that power
I got the MAD secondary downpipes (they call them mid pipes for some reason) - very inexpensive mod. I got it installed by my trusted local mechanic in Boston.

https://x-ph.com/mad-bmw-f90-m5-f92-...RoCF5IQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #29
MaybeanM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It will add that power
I got the MAD secondary downpipes (they call them mid pipes for some reason) - very inexpensive mod. I got it installed by my trusted local mechanic in Boston.

https://x-ph.com/mad-bmw-f90-m5-f92-...RoCF5IQAvD_BwE
Pmd you
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #30
Laoschris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Just installed VRSF secondaries and Racechip. Will say I'm pleasantly impressed and happy with this setup.

Racechip was extremely easy to install (about 10 mins) and you can definitely feel the extra power.

I had JB4 on my F80s before BM3 was available. Didn't have any issues with JB4, but wanted to give RC a try. Definitely recommend if you want a PNP option and set and forget.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #31
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

So I have something called Dtuk tuning chip in my 2022 F90 currently which I believe is similar to RaceChip.

It doesn't seem to agree with my install of Akra exhaust and Eventuri (which I have checked) so I contacted my local BMW tuning garage and they are getting it on dyno, then replacing with a Jb4 and then going back on dyno.

Not expecting a great deal of difference but they have a lot of experience with Jb4 so hoping it can be tailored a bit better to my car v the tuning chip.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #32
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Strange that two mods that add next to no power would affect a tune. Did you add any more serious mods at the same time like catless downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 04:55 PM   #33
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Strange that two mods that add next to no power would affect a tune. Did you add any more serious mods at the same time like catless downpipes?
No but I am getting the install checked, I'm not 100% sure it was done right, especially the intakes
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #34
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I got the Jb4 installed and to be honest, I'm not massively impressed v the chip. It's got a touch more HP but less torque and it doesnt feel as responsive in low revs. I'm thinking of going back to the chip I had in it.

I'll post the dyno results which showed stock v chip v jb4.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 07:20 PM   #35
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post
So I got the Jb4 installed and to be honest, I'm not massively impressed v the chip. It's got a touch more HP but less torque and it doesnt feel as responsive in low revs. I'm thinking of going back to the chip I had in it.

Very interested in this. I have both as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #36
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:

Any updates? This is very interesting. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #37
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Which map are you running? datalogs?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #38
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:

Promises, promises...
      04-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #39
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You think if you lower you car and you have a suspension issue that they'll pay the bill?

I have tuned every car I have ever had and never had my warranty blown. I have also been fortunate that I never had a major issue.

Removing the jb4 or bm3 or Rc won't do anything. When they get to digging, they will find what they need.

This topic has been covered many times on this forum. Don't be misinformed.
Do you have one verified case of a warranty being denied after the piggyback was removed properly?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #40
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Quote:

Promises, promises...
Sorry! Will do it in three morning!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #41
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
Quote:
You think if you lower you car and you have a suspension issue that they'll pay the bill?

I have tuned every car I have ever had and never had my warranty blown. I have also been fortunate that I never had a major issue.

Removing the jb4 or bm3 or Rc won't do anything. When they get to digging, they will find what they need.

This topic has been covered many times on this forum. Don't be misinformed.
Do you have one verified case of a warranty being denied after the piggyback was removed properly?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #42
Kriz2fer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Yes
Please share this story
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #43
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriz2fer View Post
Quote:
Yes
Please share this story
Came to the dealer with the engine problem, they scanned the car, did their diagnostics and determined that the car was operating way outside of stock parameters and declined to fix the issue.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 09:23 PM   #44
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Came to the dealer with the engine problem, they scanned the car, did their diagnostics and determined that the car was operating way outside of stock parameters and declined to fix the issue.
How long had the piggy been removed before taking it to the dealership ?
Appreciate 0