BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Flash tunes vs Jb4 in respect to 1/4 mile

06-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #45
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f90_FTW View Post
Watched that whole 30 minute long video of this guy blabing about what they did to the car. Blabbing about baseline dynos, and horsepower gains. And then a video at a track without sharing results.

I've seen almost identical videos from a couple other tuners.

Now I'm about to get on my soapbox...

TUNERS: everybody's Dyno is different. It can be calibrated different it's possible the Dyno isn't reading the car correctly. And lastly i'm not saying you guys are doing this but you can CHEAT a baseline and cheat results very easily.

Basically what I'm saying is these videos of dyno results are cool and all but after you've done all that nonsense... CAN YOU ACTUALLY TRACK THE CAR AND GIVE US THOSE RESULTS. that's what I want to see. I want qt mile times. I want trap speeds. I want 100-200khm.

Jesus. Come on people

That video could've been 15 minutes shorter. Tell me mods show me your awesome Qt mile time (that's better than the rest) and tell me a phone number where I can buy.
I'll do my part to try and get the thread back on track since I'm responsible for directing it elsewhere... apologies.

I'm about 7 years in to tuning my cars and have tried Burger, Dinan, EuroCharged, APR, Addicts Motorsports and DMS. Of those, only Burger consistently uses 1/4 mile times/trap speeds as its yardstick--most use dyno numbers that, let's face it, appeal to their mass market consumers.

If you want to get a look at a good cross-section of performance numbers and you're willing to place sufficient trust in GPS-based performance measuring devices then get a Dragy and use their leader board. As it stands today, the fastest F90 ran 10.06 at 139.3mph with a 60ft of 1.66s. Mods are:
  • Seven Force tune
  • Custom downpipes
  • Eventuri intake
  • Capristo exhaust
  • Race fuel (102RON)

Evolve Tuning out of the UK are pretty active. Per Dragy, they're running a 10.27s at 137.2mph with their own ECU tune, downpipes and an Eventuri intake.
Appreciate 1
f90_FTW156.50
      06-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #46
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Watched that whole 30 minute long video of this guy blabing about what they did to the car. Blabbing about baseline dynos, and horsepower gains. And then a video at a track without sharing results.

I've seen almost identical videos from a couple other tuners.

Now I'm about to get on my soapbox...

TUNERS: everybody's Dyno is different. It can be calibrated different it's possible the Dyno isn't reading the car correctly. And lastly i'm not saying you guys are doing this but you can CHEAT a baseline and cheat results very easily.

Basically what I'm saying is these videos of dyno results are cool and all but after you've done all that nonsense... CAN YOU ACTUALLY TRACK THE CAR AND GIVE US THOSE RESULTS. that's what I want to see. I want qt mile times. I want trap speeds. I want 100-200khm.

Jesus. Come on people

That video could've been 15 minutes shorter. Tell me mods show me your awesome Qt mile time (that's better than the rest) and tell me a phone number where I can buy.
I'll do my part to try and get the thread back on track since I'm responsible for directing it elsewhere... apologies.

I'm about 7 years in to tuning my cars and have tried Burger, Dinan, EuroCharged, APR, Addicts Motorsports and DMS. Of those, only Burger consistently uses 1/4 mile times/trap speeds as its yardstick--most use dyno numbers that, let's face it, appeal to their mass market consumers.

If you want to get a look at a good cross-section of performance numbers and you're willing to place sufficient trust in GPS-based performance measuring devices then get a Dragy and use their leader board. As it stands today, the fastest F90 ran 10.06 at 139.3mph with a 60ft of 1.66s. Mods are:
  • Seven Force tune
  • Custom downpipes
  • Eventuri intake
  • Capristo exhaust
  • Race fuel (102RON)
That's what I'm talking about my man!
I actually have a dragy and visit the leaderboard's quite often. And that is in fact where I get my numbers from. It's a great app. Also it's accurate within 1/100th of a second so I do trust it very much.

My whole little rant was about how the actual tuners aren't taking the time to give us this information.

What if I was a cable TV salesman and told you that your package comes with the ESPN, and you asked about Disney and my response was.. "I dunno... buy it and figure it out for yourself" lol

These are performance mods. Whose sole purpose is to make your car go faster. Don't these guys think we would want to know exactly how much faster??? It's kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Edit:typo
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #47
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks what I'm talking about my man!
I actually have a dragy and visit the leaderboard's quite often. And that is in fact where I get my numbers from. It's a great app. Also it's accurate within 1/100th of a second so I do trust it very much.

My whole little rant was about how the actual tuners aren't taking the time to give us this information.

What if I was a cable TV salesman and told you that your package comes with the ESPN, and you asked about Disney and my response was.. "I dunno... buy it and figure it out for yourself" lol

These are performance mods. Whose sole purpose is to make your car go faster. Don't these guys think we would want to know exactly how much faster??? It's kind of ridiculous in my opinion.
Yeah, I hear ya but they don't seem to see it that way. There are gobs of folks on here with tunes and I'd bet most don't have a Dragy or equiv and even more have never nor will ever go to the dragstrip. Of course, that's just my opinion and I may well be wrong but I think this is the world that the tuners shape their products for.

On crappy deserted farm roads, I'm repeatedly seeing 10.73 on 92 octane pump gas using only a JB4 with a custom map 6 that I've been tinkering with for months. On a prep'd surface, I'd expect this to drop into the 10.5s. Add race gas to the equation and 10.3s or better. However, getting race gas in and around the Seattle area is a nightmare which dissuades me from making a concerted effort to get to the dragstrip.

It sounds like a JB4 should be in your future and then stack that atop an ECU tune (assuming you're cognizant of the warranty implications... let's not go there again ).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #48
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep

I meannnn someone tell me I'm wrong here. How am I supposed to compare tuner A to tuner B with solely a dyno graph sheet, when I know that both of these tuners are using two different dynos by two different Dyno manufacturers that are calibrated in two completely different ways

The gold standard in showing gains should be quarter-mile times trap speeds and 100-200Khm.

Spare me the Dyno sheets they really mean absolutely nothing.

I got my pitchfolk out guys!! I'm really to go into the village and terrorize the townspeople. Lol.

Lastly on a lighter note. My f90 has a JB4, eventuri intake, custom midpipes, Eisenmann performance mufflers and black series Eisenmann Catless dp's, lightweight HRE performance wheels, I also have buckets of Ms109. Hoping to take it to the track soon to get numbers. Expecting to run a 10.2ish my only concern is that I have not tinkered around with any of the maps yet so it might take some tweaking to get those numbers.

Follow me On Instagram. @boosty77 I personally think I have one of the most awesome F90s for performance to date.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #49
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meannnn someone tell me I'm wrong here. How am I supposed to compare tuner A to tuner B with solely a dyno graph sheet, when I know that both of these tuners are using two different dynos by two different Dyno manufacturers that are calibrated in two completely different ways

The gold standard in showing gains should be quarter-mile times trap speeds and 100-200Khm.

I got my pitchfolk out guys!! I'm really to go into the village and terrorize the townspeople. Lol.

Lastly on a lighter note. My f90 has a JB4, eventuri intake, custom midpipes, Eisenmann performance mufflers and black series Eisenmann Catless dp's, lightweight HRE performance wheels, I also have buckets of Ms109. Hoping to take it to the track soon to get numbers. Expecting to run a 10.2ish my only concern is that I have not tinkered around with any of the maps yet so it might take some tweaking to get those numbers.

Follow me On Instagram. @boosty77 I personally think I have one of the most awesome F90s for performance to date.
With your setup, your might want to consider playing around with map 6 even on pump gas. Got any errrr runways nearby to try a 1/4 mile run?

Did you post any numbers to Dragy's leader board?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #50
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

With your setup, your might want to consider playing around with map 6 even on pump gas. Got any errrr runways nearby to try a 1/4 mile run?

Did you post any numbers to Dragy's leader board?
I live in Los Angeles where there aren't that many empty roads to be driving 130 miles on.

Was considering going on the freeway in the middle of the night and running a quarter-mile there just haven't gotten around to it.

I actually live about five minutes away from Burger tuning headquarters and have taken my car there and they actually told me not to run any map on 91 pump gas other than map one as it is not safe.

I'll get to the track soon. Hopefully within the next 30 days I'll be running the ms109 then.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #51
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live in Los Angeles where there aren't that many empty roads to be driving 130 miles on.

Was considering going on the freeway in the middle of the night and running a quarter-mile there just haven't gotten around to it.

I actually live about five minutes away from Burger tuning headquarters and have taken my car there and they actually told me not to run any map on 91 pump gas other than map one as it is not safe.

I'll get to the track soon. Hopefully within the next 30 days I'll be running the ms109 then.
Ohhh, right--I forgot CA pump-octane is absurd. That sucks... but at least you can get MS109. Where do you get it from by the way?

To some, the use of octane boosters is akin to black magic. Having tried quite a few, I felt the same to some extent. A friend of mine suggested I try Klotz octane booster... so I did and this $hit actually works. I don't just mean my seats-of-the-pants dyno says it works, I mean the logs prove it. If I I add 18oz to each tank I can run 22-23psi on map 6 without a hiccup (figuratively & literally speaking). Given that you can log so easily, you might wanna give it a try to see if it lets you run higher boost targets than map 1 would otherwise hit.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #52
f90_FTW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ohhh, right--I forgot CA pump-octane is absurd. That sucks... but at least you can get MS109. Where do you get it from by the way?

To some, the use of octane boosters is akin to black magic. Having tried quite a few, I felt the same to some extent. A friend of mine suggested I try Klotz octane booster... so I did and this $hit actually works. I don't just mean my seats-of-the-pants dyno says it works, I mean the logs prove it. If I I add 18oz to each tank I can run 22-23psi on map 6 without a hiccup (figuratively & literally speaking). Given that you can log so easily, you might wanna give it a try to see if it lets you run higher boost targets than map 1 would otherwise hit.
I might give that a try we'll see. MS109 is quite easy for me to get there is a place about 10 minutes away that sells it and they always have it on hand at fairly reasonable price for MS 109.

I have heard however that the octane boosters actually do wonders for this car so both are viable options.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #53
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

Quote:

good shit on your IG my man. car sounds great!
Appreciate 2
f90_FTW156.50
FSociety3812.50
      06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #54
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]

UK's Fastest 100-200 and in Vmax200

Random: (Will post more)

Camera car is a Stage1 Custom Tune E85 vs Stage2 Custom Tune E85 (Different Tuner) vs 680WHP F90 M5 (Far Right)

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 06-18-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #55
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post

UK's Fastest 100-200 and in Vmax200

Random: (Will post more)

Camera car is a Stage1 Custom Tune E85 vs Stage2 Custom Tune E85 (Different Tuner) vs 680WHP F90 M5 (Far Right)

Any more stats; 1/4 mile, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:29 AM   #56
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
My stock 60-130 run, my 0-60 was 3.20s but for some reason said slope was -1.10% which makes no sense maybe dragy needs to be infront windshield instead of cup holder

Car has Full 3.5 Downpipes Midpipes & Full tank of Fresh Costco 93
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gtenedio348.00
      07-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #57
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

limey, what cars have you ran from a roll in the f90?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #58
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
limey, what cars have you ran from a roll in the f90?
Numerous in adhoc road scenarios. More formally, a 2018 AMG E63S with stage 2 Eurocharged, catless DPs and Akra exhaust putting out 680awhp and fully built F10 M5 with claimed 700+whp--I beat them both; the F10 beat the E63S.

https://youtu.be/Egi-Qiqv4BI
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #59
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Numerous in adhoc road scenarios. More formally, a 2018 AMG E63S with stage 2 Eurocharged, catless DPs and Akra exhaust putting out 680awhp and fully built F10 M5 with claimed 700+whp--I beat them both; the F10 beat the E63S.

https://youtu.be/Egi-Qiqv4BI
LOL middle car with passenger held up nicely but too short of a pull I'd say ;-)

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #60
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It was 60-130--pretty standard. Everyone agreed I was continuing to pull on them.

Worth noting that my mods totaled $900--a JB4. The E63S has ~$20K's worth and the F10 far, far more. The performance delta between the E63S and the F90 is the most interesting due to them being similarly-new vehicles; the F10 was very much an unknown.

Last edited by limeypride; 07-19-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #61
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
It was 60-130--pretty standard. Everyone agreed I was continuing to pull on them.

Worth noting that my mods totaled $900--a JB4. The E63S hass ~$20K's worth and the F10 far, far more. The performance delta between the E63S and the F90 is the most interesting due to them being similarly-new vehicles; the F10 was very much an unknown.
Cool build ! What is your 60-130mph ?
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #62
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

<bumped>

Last edited by limeypride; 07-19-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #63
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:

Worth noting that my mods totaled $900--a JB4. The E63S has ~$20K's worth and the F10 far, far more. The performance delta between the E63S and the F90 is the most interesting due to them being similarly-new vehicles; the F10 was very much an unknown.
60-130 ? that was more like a 50-100 run LOL, you guys took longer cruising than the actual run unless you posted the wrong video?
Isn't the rule of thumb best of 3 at least by minimum ?

+1 the F90 > E63S

Quote:
6.75s I believe.

This stat isn't that interesting to me yet since I haven't tracked the car and while the undulations on these farmland roads I'm forced to use are annoying for the 60ft, 0-60mph and 1/8th, they're a freakin' nightmare once you're close to or in triple digits because I'm getting actual air... which is thrilling but losing me valuable forward-propulsion time.
6.75s got the dragy run showing weather / elevation / DA ?

If you're going for 0-60, 1/8 you're not too far off from the 1/4 mile which would essentially already give you the 60-130 as well

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #64
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Cool build ! What is your 60-130mph ?
6.75s.

Name:  20190719_230413766_iOS.png
Views: 795
Size:  156.3 KB

This stat isn't that interesting to me yet since I haven't tracked the car and while the undulations on these farmland roads I'm forced to use are annoying for the 60ft, 0-60mph and 1/8th, they're a freakin' nightmare once you're close to or in triple digits because I'm getting actual air... which is thrilling but losing me valuable forward-propulsion time.

Last edited by limeypride; 07-19-2019 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Posting Dragy run
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #65
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
6.75s.

Attachment 2102836

That’s quick. Well done.
Appreciate 1
limeypride4425.00
      07-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #66
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f90 white m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
map 2. 93 octane. same day i installed it. ecu is still adapting.

my faster 0-60 was 2.9 so far
What's the 60-130?
Appreciate 0