BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Why Are People Assholes to People in Service Jobs?

03-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #23
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Seriously, fuck you.

I worked in the ultimate service cesspool, Walmart and I even noticed it then.

Stupidly, I thought people were jerks just because I was young, but now I realize some actually think they are better than any person working in the service industry or any low wage jobs.

Example: Kroger is absolutely slammed busy. There are usually people bagging groceries for you, but there were not enough employees to scan and bag. The lines were 4 carts deep at each register. The setup it such that it’s obvious you’re supposed to bag your own groceries if no one is at the end of the belt.

The cashier, a 16-18 year old kid with a positive attitude, asked how this couple was doing, only to not even get a response. I watched a mid 40s fat douchebag and his fat wife watch the cashier scan all the Cheetos, Doritos, cookies, and frozen dinners they bought and stare blankly as he had to bag everything himself. They also critiqued how he did it and kept demanding for certain things to be put together. This held up the line even more.

I stand there watching this unhelpful asshat and become increasingly pissed thinking about how he’s going to sit in front of the TV with his bag of Cheetos and will wipe his orange stained fingers on the couch cushions in his shitty house while slowly poisoning his diabetic body with processed sugar and fat.

Honestly, how old do you have to be to realize you need to help bag? You’re not only disrespecting the employee, you’re disrespecting everyone waiting in line. Of course, you can’t say shit to people these days because they are insane.

I also went to dinner and noticed no one says please and thank you to servers bringing their food or even look them in the eye when asking for (demanding) something.

I hate people and I hope those servers you disrespect shit in your food.
Wow that's quite the rant.....but do understand your frustration/anger/hate....etc etc are coming from.
Seems people's morals and treatment of others is definitely getting piss poor of late.....I blame the media and the stupid education system as well as stupid parents and parenting....people just don't seem to tolerate or even attempt to teach others a good lesson(and that's what many need)but try that with the crazies(good luck)
Unfortunately until people's attitudes and cultures change I fear it's getting worse.
I feeel ya man but it starts with one and just set the example when you can and ignore the rest of idiots:lol
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #24
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

I have an events business that I run with my wife and our business partner. I can't even begin to explain how disrespectful some vendors and guests can be. Especially in NY where everyone is already entitled.

I just don't have it in me to ever act that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #25
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Seriously, fuck you.

I worked in the ultimate service cesspool, Walmart and I even noticed it then.

Stupidly, I thought people were jerks just because I was young, but now I realize some actually think they are better than any person working in the service industry or any low wage jobs.

Example: Kroger is absolutely slammed busy. There are usually people bagging groceries for you, but there were not enough employees to scan and bag. The lines were 4 carts deep at each register. The setup it such that it’s obvious you’re supposed to bag your own groceries if no one is at the end of the belt.

The cashier, a 16-18 year old kid with a positive attitude, asked how this couple was doing, only to not even get a response. I watched a mid 40s fat douchebag and his fat wife watch the cashier scan all the Cheetos, Doritos, cookies, and frozen dinners they bought and stare blankly as he had to bag everything himself. They also critiqued how he did it and kept demanding for certain things to be put together. This held up the line even more.

I stand there watching this unhelpful asshat and become increasingly pissed thinking about how he’s going to sit in front of the TV with his bag of Cheetos and will wipe his orange stained fingers on the couch cushions in his shitty house while slowly poisoning his diabetic body with processed sugar and fat.

Honestly, how old do you have to be to realize you need to help bag? You’re not only disrespecting the employee, you’re disrespecting everyone waiting in line. Of course, you can’t say shit to people these days because they are insane.

I also went to dinner and noticed no one says please and thank you to servers bringing their food or even look them in the eye when asking for (demanding) something.

I hate people and I hope those servers you disrespect shit in your food.
It's a question of manners, or lack of.

I teach my kids to say please and thank you, unfortunately that lesson seems to have been lost with a lot of parents these days.

As for packing bags.. here in the UK you pack your own bags in the supermarket, and the cashier asks if you'd like a help to pack, it's not expected that they will pack for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #26
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Because they are arrogant pricks who think they're better than you.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #27
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Today I had to audit a Porsche dealership in Beverly Hills. They were cool as fuck.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

This just further adds to my cynical world view that all people are selfish assholes unless proven otherwise.

When I see people in the service industry I am reminded of how my successful parents were once dirt poor immigrants in this country. They flipped burgers, stocked mail at 3 am, sold bibles door to door, and washed dishes; all while surviving on Top Ramen and sleeping on the floor in their bug-infested apartment with 5 roommates, all while completing their education.

My point being that you never know what somebody is going through or what they are capable of. We all have to start somewhere in life. Sure, a fair number of these people were lazy or whatever, but many people just don't have opportunities or don't know any better as they were raised in broken households or were never taught the value of an education. Instead of being mean you should have pity.

Last edited by Germanauto; 03-05-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 6
kscarrol8907.50
NemesisX316.50
King Rudi13154.00
shay2nak1070.00
      03-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #29
Bingobimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 n54

Garage List
Look to your left. Look to your right. If you are kind to those people you will make the world a better place.

Lack of biblical principles I suppose. Not that anyone has to have religion, just have some damn decency. Me I try to be nice. Also, try to drink myself to an early grave so I don't have to see what this world becomes.

2011 e92 335iSSSS Black
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 02:05 AM   #30
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
If you feel humiliated by your job why do you think others mustn't share your opinion? Why would a customer kiss your ass after you've shitted into his food? I wouldn't. I'd rather stick your head into your ass for that but I can't: shitheads' rights are so protected. My only hope is alikes teaching alikes appropriate self-concept.
After working my way through college as a waiter, I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that most restaurant staff don't poop in the average customer's food... but with that attitude, I'd be willing to bet you're in the running for the all-time record for most poop unknowingly eaten in restaurants.

Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 04:20 AM   #31
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
but with that attitude, I'd be willing to bet you're in the running for the all-time record for most poop unknowingly eaten in restaurants.
Expecting the customer to be grateful for not being mistreated is the attitude to be corrected. I see your point of benefitting from my disclaimer. Many have. But I won't eat in a restaurant where you can't tell shit from the food (or vice-versa) anyway. Or where a waiter looks like that (thanks for the tip).

And yes, I know those who've worked at restaurants never eat there themselves.

Last edited by No one; 03-06-2018 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #32
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Interesting thread in a forum filled with rants about dealer car washes and dealer service...

As others mentioned, some people will just be assholes in general. No reason to think they will be different in a service situation. So there’s that.

Additionally, however, I DO think the quality of service has deteriorated in many service businesses compared to years gone by, except perhaps in some high end restaurants. Personally, I think service at Dunkin sucks like most other fast food joints. Kids on phones, joking with each other, no supervision a lot of times, no greeting the customer, no smile, don’t pay attention... Service is also less consistent at Publix, as well as many restaurants, other than high-end / expensive ones. Service is non-existent at Home Depot or Wal-Mart. There is a difference between an honest mistake and being lazy / not trying. Now that doesn’t mean one should be an absolute asshole to other people in any situation, but I think the deterioration in service is another contributor to customer attitudes.

Personally, I think it is ok to let a manager know when you are dissatisfied with the quality of service, rather than engaging with the bad employee who will just shrug you off anyway.
      03-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by are0lies View Post
Criticize me as you like, but today my wife and I went out to eat. She then went up to pay, and I thought she was going to leave a tip with her payment. She thought I was going to leave it in cash, which I rarely carry. After leaving to buy our groceries, all this came out. We bought our groceries, and we returned to the restaurant, where I went back to the waitress and explained the situation. She was very appreciative, because she probably did not expect this outcome. I don't like to treat people as if they are beneath me, because I believe in that vicious cycle of karma. And when I do encounter an ahole, I try to acknowledge the misery the person lives under, and it is all their choosing. Like this guy.
Exactly. There is no such thing as "above" or "beneath" somebody else. We are all equal, and there are decent people, and there are assholes.

I find this really bad when travelling in the US. People think money buys them entitlement. The Nouveau Riche syndrome.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #34
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I always give the lady at the massage parlor something extra at the end
Appreciate 3
UncleWede18016.00
Nkc1600.50
      03-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #35
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

At the beginning of my twenties (which are far gone ) I had droven out pizzas into a small city with not more of 30000 citizens. That was a cool and relaxing time, ppl gave good tips and were mostly my age or slightly older, no harassments or abusings. No big complaints when the delivery time took a bit longer than announced and sometimes nice invitations for a date.
Today, most of the driver guys arent be able to speak one whole set into German, understand mostly no questions or complaints and sometimes they are just bold if you're complaining a long delivery time and/or cold meals and show you a certain gesture.
Into the past years there has been a big landslip of the social layers, its people and their habits. Into the back side some people got more money in between and think maybe that they are the kings of the new world. In my opinion if those two groups are clashing together, a lot of anger potential is granted.
State of the art is, if you are belonging to none of this group and be able to handle both of them with the necessary respect and esteem. Thats a stratagem to learn for some ppl

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #36
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I always give the lady at the massage parlor something extra at the end
Must be massage envy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #37
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Expecting the customer to be grateful for not being mistreated is the attitude to be corrected. I see your point of benefitting from my disclaimer. Many have. But I won't eat in a restaurant where you can't tell shit from the food (or vice-versa) anyway. Or where a waiter looks like that (thanks for the tip).

And yes, I know those who've worked at restaurants never eat there themselves.
Hate to tell you this... but it doesn't take much poop in an obnoxious customer's food to give a waiter great satisfaction.

I worked in a very nice seafood restaurant in college. (No, not Red Lobster; we had two Michelin stars.) One time a customer was making fun of a waiter who happened to be gay. The waiter rubbed one off into his cioppino and the guy never had a clue. In fact, he commented on the great service because staff kept checking in to make sure he was enjoying his meal.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #38
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I absolutely hate when people are rude to service workers. However, I also hate when people in the service industry are rude or cold to customers. But I always remember that while people may just be assholes, everyone also has a story and maybe their kid just died. You really don't know what they are dealing with.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 11:51 PM   #39
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I absolutely hate when people are rude to service workers. However, I also hate when people in the service industry are rude or cold to customers. But I always remember that while people may just be assholes, everyone also has a story and maybe their kid just died. You really don't know what they are dealing with.
agree! i think it's just people don't have the courtesy and respect nowadays? like today...when i got to the gym i was the first one to the double door entrance and there was this couple right behind me so i held the door open and said "after you." they just walked through without saying thank you and they didn't even have the courtesy to hold the 2nd door open for me
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #40
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Hate to tell you this... but it doesn't take much poop in an obnoxious customer's food to give a waiter great satisfaction.
I don't mind telling you this: a waiter's satisfaction is behind the last thing of interest to me. It's business, not charity. You must earn your money. And if you don't bother, if you crap the business for your fun, what kind of "respect" do you deserve (not to mention money)? You don't respect yourself.

Quote:
One time a customer was making fun of a waiter who happened to be gay.
A waiter shouldn't turn restaurant into a whorehouse. I've dealt with shop boys who were probably gay but they behaved and that was all right. I don't mind gays while they keep their distance. I do mind f@gs (who don't bother to keep distance and that's insulting).

Quote:
The waiter rubbed one off into his cioppino and the guy never had a clue. In fact, he commented on the great service because staff kept checking in to make sure he was enjoying his meal.
So what's the point? The bravest of gays could've just fucked himself for even more satisfaction, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I dunno, yeah some people are rude but most service staff are fucking useless and don't give a fuck. No one hustles anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #42
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Somewhat related is another one of my pet peeves - when people pull out the
"My taxes pay for your salary" card as they proceed to criticize/accost/etc. a public service individual. Another one is "My tuition pays your salary."

People think the fact that their taxes contribute some astronomically small fraction of a penny towards a public service worker's salary gives them superiority over the public service worker.

They also fail to realize that public service individuals pay taxes also that contribute towards public services that all people use, regardless of whether you're in the public or private sector.
It is fun being a government employee, isn't it? We are the public's whipping boys and girls.
      03-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #43
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
I'm quite annoyed by service people frequently exploring my tolerance beyond any reasonable limit. Behaving like kings and expecting royal treatment besides my money. People missing the essence of their job (which is to comfort customers, not to be comforted by customers) deserve to be corrected, not honoured. If you don't have the temper or wits for the job find another one. (The experience is site specific: in USA I found service people quite/relatively correct. Except for girls refusing a formal greeting. )

People aren't assholes to other people. Assholes are merely assholes (this reference is not on mistreating actually: that person had to realize the position he was in) and I'm very annoyed by those on a par just as well.

If you feel humiliated by your job why do you think others mustn't share your opinion? Why would a customer kiss your ass after you've shitted into his food? I wouldn't. I'd rather stick your head into your ass for that but I can't: shitheads' rights are so protected. My only hope is alikes teaching alikes appropriate self-concept.
Wow, just wow!
      03-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #44
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I deal with ‘customers’ on a daily basis and for the most part I’ve been fortunate.

However, I’ve learned long ago to never ever mess with people in the restaurant industry. Piss off a waiter/delivery driver, you’ll be ‘related’ to them in no time.
Appreciate 1
eluded3041.50