BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Thinking about trading '22 M850i GC for '23 M5 base

02-07-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Thinking about trading '22 M850i GC for '23 M5 base

Hi all, in part to create more content for my new YouTube channel, but also due to a desire to maybe try something different, I am thinking about getting out of my M850i GC and getting an M5. I'm seeing a decent one that is low mileage pre-owned in my area, that is priced within reason.

And before anyone asks, the reason I'm thinking of switching to an M5 instead of an M8 is because I feel like the M8 is just too similar to the M850i; I'd want something a bit more different for the sake of change.

Some pros of this change:

1. It's a "true" M car
2. It will be faster, but not a TON faster
3. It allows me to have content for my channel
4. I keep a V8 engine, which I want to have
5. Unlike the M850i, there is more of an aftermarket for this car. I'm big on exhausts, and you can find exhausts for this car that aren't crazy expensive.

Some cons of this change:

1. It's a base, not a competition
2. It's not a huge change from the M850i. Not dramatic enough to make the experience vastly different.
3. I actually like the look of the 8 series more than the 5 series

Is this worth the change? Has anybody owned both cars? Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5207.50
      02-07-2024, 01:18 PM   #2
DarkishM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2023 M5C  [10.00]
I think you should go test drive it and go see for yourself. I don't think any feedback will be as true as you sitting behind the wheel of that M5. You could even make a video comparing both models and your perspective.

Last edited by DarkishM5C; 02-08-2024 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW994.00
      02-07-2024, 01:44 PM   #3
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Hey there’s nothing wrong with a “base” you comp guys are such elitists!
Appreciate 5
      02-07-2024, 01:49 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

There was a member here who switched the other way. Can't recall the name, but he took the cars on a lot of long roadtrips and posted detailed impressions.
Appreciate 3
      02-07-2024, 04:06 PM   #5
BlueBy
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Hi all, in part to create more content for my new YouTube channel, but also due to a desire to maybe try something different, I am thinking about getting out of my M850i GC and getting an M5. I'm seeing a decent one that is low mileage pre-owned in my area, that is priced within reason.

And before anyone asks, the reason I'm thinking of switching to an M5 instead of an M8 is because I feel like the M8 is just too similar to the M850i; I'd want something a bit more different for the sake of change.

Some pros of this change:

1. It's a "true" M car
2. It will be faster, but not a TON faster
3. It allows me to have content for my channel
4. I keep a V8 engine, which I want to have
5. Unlike the M850i, there is more of an aftermarket for this car. I'm big on exhausts, and you can find exhausts for this car that aren't crazy expensive.

Some cons of this change:

1. It's a base, not a competition
2. It's not a huge change from the M850i. Not dramatic enough to make the experience vastly different.
3. I actually like the look of the 8 series more than the 5 series

Is this worth the change? Has anybody owned both cars? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Make the switch if: price is right and if the car meets/checks most of your driving & content boxes.

Do not sweat the M5 Base vs M5 Comp comparison BS.

Take it from me, I owned/own both - a Black Comp and a MBB Base; the little delta between both examples is immaterial.

Short story: back in the day I owned a E60 Interlagos Blue M5 and I always liked that color. My previous Black M5C was loaded; purchased it for a good price.

I always had a soft spot for BMW's Blue Exterior paint examples. So when the opportunity presented itself, I sold my Black M5C and purchased my current MBB M5 Base with Aragon brown interior and CF roof.

My current M5B is not a loaded as my previous M5C nor as loaded as my wife's current M550i (B/W, executive pkg and so on), but I didn't care. All I care about was the MBB, Aragon brown and CF roof.

My experience - Comp vs Base. Ride: Base rides better. Power: from the initial butt dyno, I couldn't tell the difference. I own a Vbox and clocked them both on the same roads with similar temps/DA. As crazy as this may sound to some members, the Base edged out my previous M5C but mainly from the dig. I think because my current Base is not as loaded and thus a lighter car. On the highway, the M5C felt a little stronger even though the 60-130 times were almost identical. Again, I think this is because my current Base is lighter/not loaded. Braking: about the same; both had/have PZero tires. Handling: M5C was overall better, it provided me better feedback. Aesthetics: to me, the M5C looks better mainly due to the glossy black factory treatments. However, you can do what I did and replace many of the cosmetic items (grills, mirror caps, exhaust tips & truck spoiler) with glossy black pieces and boom, you're set. Exhaust: just ask a muffler shop to installed an X-pipe.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 3
TupperBMW994.00
jzy44.50
      02-07-2024, 04:08 PM   #6
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Well being a non comp isn't a con IMHO, your 850i isnt a comp either, or an M car at all.

And yes, the M5 will be faster. I don't recall but I believe it's a tad bit lighter also.

But regardless even if the M5 was the exact same as the 850 in terms of power, there is a lot more to the M5 that will be superior in terms of driving dynamics, suspension, stiffer chassis, brakes, just overall much more performance oriented.

I personally don't like the look of the gran coupes in an 8 series, M or not. To me they look very bulbous and the dimensions are off to me. Just doesn't sit great to me. The 6 series I liked a lot more than the 8 series in terms of physical appearance.
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW994.00
      02-07-2024, 08:53 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
There was a member here who switched the other way. Can't recall the name, but he took the cars on a lot of long roadtrips and posted detailed impressions.
Tagging snowbimmer to get in on this and for OP to be able to see the posts you mention.
      02-07-2024, 10:00 PM   #8
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Hi all, I made a more detailed video discussing this decision and it includes a pic of the car that I’m interested in. Thanks

Appreciate 2
      02-08-2024, 08:57 AM   #9
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #10
BlueBy
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Hi all, I made a more detailed video discussing this decision and it includes a pic of the car that I’m interested in. Thanks

TupperBWM,

I reviewed your video and noticed the white M5B currently in your radar...it is nice.

I am originally from the Chicago North Suburbs area; currently in Texas due to work. My entire side of the family currently reside in the Lake in the Hill, Crystal Lake & North Barrington cities. In fact, my sister lives roughly 2.5 miles away from that BMW MotorWerks dealership.

I'm sharing this with you because I recall my M5C driving days around that area and [Chicago] the city and let me tell ya, comfort wise, you'll be happier with the M5B vs M5C.

As I stated in a previous reply, HP wise between the M5B & M5C, you will not notice the 17hp difference. Get up & Go wise, depending on all the options on that white M5B, it may be lighter vs many M5C and thus quicker/faster - if that element is important to you. The M5C looks sportier and rides/handles more sportier as well. Appearance wise, you can always purchase gloss black aftermarket add-ons (mirror caps, grills, tail pipe tips) and such if you want to spicy things up a little.

BTW, MW used inventory shows that they have a low miles MBB 2021 M5B for sale; ~$16K cheaper vs the white 2023 M5B with very similar options. I would test drive both and see which feels the best unless white is your preferred exterior color.

Good luck with your decision
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #11
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

^ Thanks, BlueBy. Test drives are definitely going to be needed

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:01 AM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Was just coming back to respond to snowbimmer’s response to OP, but it seems his post has disappeared from the thread. I do absolutely agree with the statement however!

Nice to see you on this side of the house, brother! The posts of your drives that were in this thread are incredible, as always.
snowbimmer5207.50
      02-11-2024, 10:03 PM   #13
smbsocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5, '59 C1, '23 X6

I looked at both when we were looking for a new car and decided on a M5.

For me the 8 series looks sportier than the 5 but I couldn't handle the enclosed feeling I had in the 8 series even though it isn't as bad as a Camaro.

I went with the base M5 for a softer ride, the roads here in NC are terrible.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:03 AM   #14
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Just test drove the M5!

Hey guys, I just test drove the M5. I have footage of this test drive and some thoughts here.

I can definitely see myself doing some light mods on a car like this

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:25 AM   #15
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Was just coming back to respond to snowbimmer’s response to OP, but it seems his post has disappeared from the thread. I do absolutely agree with the statement however!
Nice to see you on this side of the house, brother! The posts of your drives that were in this thread are incredible, as always.

Thanks. Glad you like the trip threads, too.

I love the M550, M5 and M850 platforms. Having driven all three tens of thousands of miles all over the Western US, I decided to chime in regarding the OP's query. Even recommended the M5.

The thread then went dormant for 3 days.

Maybe it was over the top, dunno. Didn't want to be a thread killer.

So, I yanked it.

Last edited by snowbimmer; 02-12-2024 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post

Thanks. Glad you like the trip threads, too.

I love the M550, M5 and M850 platforms. Having driven all three tens of thousands of miles all over the Western US, I decided to chime in regarding the OP's query. Even recommended the M5.

The thread then went dormant for 3 days.

Maybe it was over the top, dunno. Didn't want to be a thread killer.

So, I yanked it.
I thought this was the perfect time and place for the extremely relevant information you were posting; and, you’re probably the most qualified person on BP to answer the question OP had.

I didn’t think it was over the top at all. If I was in OP’s position, I’d be thankful a million times over for your input and advice.
TupperBMW994.00