BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Race Chip 👍

01-19-2020, 02:29 AM   #133
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Guessing something to do with showing the insides aka the mother boards...

The real outrage though is deleting my mother's board... Oh the audacity of it all... The heinosity, nay the disrespect!!! Is nothing sacred anymore?!!

lol

But seriously, why can't we post pics of motherboards?
That's outta my pay grade I'm afraid...
Yeah, it was more rhetorical; a shot in the dark...

@moderator: what's the story? I'd like to understand the rules a little better.

Last edited by limeypride; 01-19-2020 at 03:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #134
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i may have missed it, but for a plug and play PC tune on regular pump gas, how much power are you guys making?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #135
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
i may have missed it, but for a plug and play PC tune on regular pump gas, how much power are you guys making?
I never dyno F90 M5, just because they all were customers car.

But, I dyno'ed my F97 X3MC. The result on California 91RON pump gas is the same as what Germany claimed. 100hp gain at the crank.

Yes, it is photoshopped Dyno, like some haters said. Lol.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #136
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
These pulls are from my 2019 M5 Comp with the same JB4 that's in my current 2020 model and timed using the same Dragy on the same road. My current 2020 M5 Comp is 0.4s faster in the 1/4 than my 2019 and 0.25s faster to 60mph--this comparison is based on fastest runs achieved from both cars.

Mustang dyno: stock pull + map 1 on WA 92 octane pump gas
Name:  Stock and map 1.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  145.7 KB

Same Mustang dyno: map 6 on same pump gas (might've been octane booster, too--safer to assume so)
Name:  Map 6 and map 6 hot.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  140.3 KB

… both pulls were taken on the same day within an hour of one another. These are also 4WD pulls as opposed to RWD-only required by dynos with a non-connected front and rear.

Last edited by limeypride; 01-19-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #137
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Can you share what boost settings you used on that map 6 run, and how close to the target were you getting? A log and a screenshot of the user adjustment screen for map 6 would be great...curious if you used the default duty bias too.

Thanks

Quote:
These pulls are from my 2019 M5 Comp with the same JB4 that's in my current 2020 model and timed using the same Dragy on the same road. My current 2020 M5 Comp is 0.4s faster in the 1/4 than my 2019 and 0.25s faster to 60mph--this comparison is based on fastest runs achieved from both cars.

Mustang dyno: stock pull + map 1 on WA 92 octane pump gas
Attachment 2222108

Same Mustang dyno: map 6 on same pump gas
Attachment 2222109

… both pulls were taken on the same day within an hour of one another. These are also 4WD pulls as opposed to RWD-only required by dynos with a non-connected front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #138
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwusabmw View Post
Can you share what boost settings you used on that map 6 run, and how close to the target were you getting? A log and a screenshot of the user adjustment screen for map 6 would be great...curious if you used the default duty bias too.

Thanks
I wouldn't suggest using someone else's duty bias numbers. They can really vary per car more than you would think.

My 2020 wouldn't even run on map1 when I first installed it. I'm not sure if it was a 2020 thing or the fact that I had intake, DP's, and exhaust.

I took a number of pulls and runs and then analyzing logs before we got the duty bias right along with some other changes and different firmware. From there I was able to tinker with the other maps including 6 and then even more duty bias changes were made.

I would use the stock ones for a pull or two and then have the logs looked at and make adjustments based on your car.
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #139
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

I’m not looking to use his settings. I more curious to see how much boost and the difference between my settings...and how close he was getting to the additive target. I assume some Booster was used in his map 6...thats a pretty big jump from 1 to 6. I’ve been using map 6 for years...running custom
Firmware with 6 currently. I read my own logs and then work with Terry for custom firmware adjustments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
I wouldn't suggest using someone else's duty bias numbers. They can really vary per car more than you would think.

My 2020 wouldn't even run on map1 when I first installed it. I'm not sure if it was a 2020 thing or the fact that I had intake, DP's, and exhaust.

I took a number of pulls and runs and then analyzing logs before we got the duty bias right along with some other changes and different firmware. From there I was able to tinker with the other maps including 6 and then even more duty bias changes were made.

I would use the stock ones for a pull or two and then have the logs looked at and make adjustments based on your car.

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 01-19-2020 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #140
Hockeytyme
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C

Quote:
I’m not looking to use his settings. I more curious to see how much boost and the difference between my settings...and how close he was getting to the additive target. I assume some Booster was used in his map 6...thats a pretty big jump from 1 to 6. I’ve been using map 6 for years...running custom
Firmware with 6 currently. I read my own logs and then work with Terry for custom firmware adjustments.
Okay, good to hear. I just warn people when they ask for copies of others map6 settings because I hate to see someone screw up their car. Sounds like you have done it right. He's ramping up to 5.5lbs and tapering back to 5 at the end and he runs octane booster with his 92. However, that is now and I'm not sure what it was in those dynos on his old car.

I run almost as good on map2 (5.3lbs) as I do with map6 at 6lbs so I really only use map6 if I trying to get a super fast run. I feel the sweet spot on this car is around 5.5 to 6lbs. I'm also running intake, dps' and exhaust. He is completely stock and ran a 10.3 on his map6 at 5.5lbs
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #141
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
// EDIT: I just saw HT's post below. As you can no doubt infer, he and I have been collaborating quite closely over the past month or so. Everything HT says below is accurate.

It's way too far back to know since those dynos were taken in May of 2019. I've also completely changed the way I use map 6 since learning last year that it has an additive mode. Back then, I was running map 6 with absolute targets. You might find posts from me with pics of the map 6 setup but, like HockeyTyme, I'm always a little nervous posting them in case someone simply copies and uses them with say $hite gas.

Currently, I tweak the targets a little here and there on almost a weekly basis I'd guess. I can say there are no duty bias changes because Terry's never instructed me to change any based on his log reviews and, frankly, I don't understand them well enough to conclude a change is needed myself.

I started using octane boosters right around the time these dynos were taken so these runs could be either with it or without it--let's assume with.

My current map 6 starts at +3, then incrementally caps at +5.5 lowering back to +5 at 6500 and 7K. I also had to raise boost safety a little to accommodate that.

I'm currently running 92 octane pump gas with 6oz of BOOSTane Pro per tank. However, I've been testing map 2 for almost 2 weeks (most of that time wasted because of snow) to see how well it performs with its +5 additive against my map 6 peak of +5.5--as it stands, it's tough to tell the difference except in the lower RPMs--Dragy concurs for the most part.

What's your setup: car, gas, other mods, octane booster, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #142
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

I’m an 18 base with just drops in...i played with the Gamma intakes and found the filters they provide actually restrict airflow once pushing past 22psi...so back to drop ins... for now. I also ran the AWE catback for a while but the cold start was just becoming too much. I run map 2 for normal use with bias under 35 to 4.5k and then from there i rapidly scale up to 75 by 6.5k. In map 6 I will run + 5.5, have gone to 6.5..rarely will I get to the true target I’m normally under target by about a pound. I’ve found on my car I need to be pretty aggressive on the bias to avoid a spike down low.

In terms of fuel I almost always run sunoco 93 with a mix of GT260(100) from the pump...normally it puts me around 96 octane. I do this as I ran into poor fuel in my area twice over the years and its just not with the risk. I used boostane for a bit and it ended up killing my O2s and really ate my plugs, I was aggressive on the mix so I wasnt too surprised.

I’ve been on here for a while, but had to change username as BMW gave me some issues over a non-related issue, they spent 30 days fixing the issue and went digging into the data to try and point the cause to me. Long story short the JB4 left no trail, they even documented no evidence of piggyback found, and thats after having Corp out twice and the homeland look into the data. They did give me a lot of hassle over the 10+ uses of launch control...they log each time we use it and will try to use it against us it seems.

Quote:
// EDIT: I just saw HT's post below. As you can no doubt infer, he and I have been collaborating quite closely over the past month or so. Everything HT says below is accurate.

It's way too far back to know since those dynos were taken in May of 2019. I've also completely changed the way I use map 6 since learning last year that it has an additive mode. Back then, I was running map 6 with absolute targets. You might find posts from me with pics of the map 6 setup but, like HockeyTyme, I'm always a little nervous posting them in case someone simply copies and uses them with say $hite gas.

Currently, I tweak the targets a little here and there on almost a weekly basis I'd guess. I can say there are no duty bias changes because Terry's never instructed me to change any based on his log reviews and, frankly, I don't understand them well enough to conclude a change is needed myself.

I started using octane boosters right around the time these dynos were taken so these runs could be either with it or without it--let's assume with.

My current map 6 starts at +3, then incrementally caps at +5.5 lowering back to +5 at 6500 and 7K. I also had to raise boost safety a little to accommodate that.

I'm currently running 92 octane pump gas with 6oz of BOOSTane Pro per tank. However, I've been testing map 2 for almost 2 weeks (most of that time wasted because of snow) to see how well it performs with its +5 additive against my map 6 peak of +5.5--as it stands, it's tough to tell the difference except in the lower RPMs--Dragy concurs for the most part.

What's your setup: car, gas, other mods, octane booster, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #143
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m an 18 base with just drops in...i played with the Gamma intakes and found the filters they provide actually restrict airflow once pushing past 22psi...so back to drop ins... for now. I also ran the AWE catback for a while but the cold start was just becoming too much. I run map 2 for normal use with bias under 35 to 4.5k and then from there i rapidly scale up to 75 by 6.5k. In map 6 I will run + 5.5, have gone to 6.5..rarely will I get to the true target I’m normally under target by about a pound. I’ve found on my car I need to be pretty aggressive on the bias to avoid a spike down low.

In terms of fuel I almost always run sunoco 93 with a mix of GT260(100) from the pump...normally it puts me around 96 octane. I do this as I ran into poor fuel in my area twice over the years and its just not with the risk. I used boostane for a bit and it ended up killing my O2s and really ate my plugs, I was aggressive on the mix so I wasnt too surprised.

I’ve been on here for a while, but had to change username as BMW gave me some issues over a no related issue, and spent 30 days fixing the issue and digging into the data to try and point the cause to me. Long story short the JB4 left no trail, they even documented no evidence of piggyback found, and that after having Corp out twice and the homeland look into the data. They did give me a lot of hassle over the 10+ uses of launch control...they log each time we use it and will try to use it against us it seems.
Cool, thanks.

Do you have any timeslips or Dragy numbers?

lol on the launches! That's absurd--why give a car a feature if it's frowned upon to use it... makes no sense. I launch this car every reasonable chance I get--suffice it to say, I'm well over 10 . The 2020s have a trick that the earlier F90s don't (as far as I know): in MDM mode and using manual shifting, if you brake boost, the transmission uses that special shift mode it typically reserves for full Launch Control scenarios--I use this a heckuva lot.

Last edited by limeypride; 01-19-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #144
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

I had to fight with the BMW case manager over and even refernce them to the owners manual listing how to use LC...they gave up after that.

I’ll post some dragy runs in a few. normally on map 2 only reaching about 4psi of the target I’ll see a 10.6-10.7@133-134, thats without using LC and just mashing the throttle ( 1.75-1.78 60’) with LC I’m sure 10.3-10.4 are where it would end up. Once I’m back on summer tires I’ll get some LC runs in.

60-130 have been high 6.8s to 7.2s, Dragy does drive me nuts anymore as the elevation is never accurate. It will vary almost 2% in elevation on the same exact road from time to time.

The shift feature is really what I loved about LC, ultra fast and better timed full boost shifts. I wonder if there will be an update to the 18-19
Quote:
Cool, thanks.

lol on the launches! That's absurd--why give a car a feature if it's frowned upon to use it... makes no sense. I launch this car every reasonable chance I get--suffice it to say, I'm well over 10 . The 2020s have a trick that the earlier F90s don't (as far as I know): in MDM mode and using manual shifting, if you brake boost, the transmission uses that special shift mode it typically reserves for full Launch Control scenarios--I use this a heckuva lot.
I’m going to see if it work on the 18s (map 0 just in case it doesnt lol) it does shift itself like LC even though its in manual mode?

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 01-19-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #145
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had to fight with the BMW case manager over and even refernce them to the owners manual listing how to use LC...they gave up after that.

I'll post some dragy runs in a few. normally on map 2 only reaching about 4psi of the target I'll see a 10.6-10.7@133-134, thats without using LC and just mashing the throttle ( 1.75-1.78 60') with LC I'm sure 10.3-10.4 are where it would end up. Once I'm back on summer tires I'll get some LC runs in.
Quote:
Cool, thanks.

Thanks. Good numbers!

My faster runs are almost all 1.57s 60ft and a 0-60mph between 2.59s and mid-high 2.6s. Best 1/4 is 10.33 at 133 but that's on a farm road and I'm losing a lot on the higher end as the car takes flight from the undulations. I'd expect mid-high 10.2s in more optimal conditions. The launches are good, though, just need to nail it at both ends.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #146
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

As you can see by the 60 here no LC, this was on my snow tires running map 2 and reaching about 4psi over stock. Even when I would use LC I never got into the 1.5s, 1.63 was my norm. I wish dragy used the same slop error margin Vbox did, I should see how Vbox reads for me...if it will even work after all these years sitting in a box.

Quote:
Thanks. Good numbers!

My faster runs are almost all 1.57s 60ft and a 0-60mph between 2.59s and mid-high 2.6s. Best 1/4 is 10.33 at 133 but that's on a farm road and I'm losing a lot on the higher end as the car takes flight from the undulations. I'd expect mid-high 10.2s in more optimal conditions. The launches are good, though, just need to nail it at both ends.

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 01-19-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #147
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
[IMG]http://drive.google.com/uc?export=do...QUzWExBmyhraNO[/IMG][IMG]http://drive.google.com/uc?export=do...cA3D4iVfBa-ecY[/IMG][IMG]http://drive.google.com/uc?export=do...mkeq7P97e72l_9[/IMG][IMG]http://drive.google.comy/uc?export=d...QUzWExBmyhraNO[/IMG]

As you can see by the 60 here no LC, this was on my snow tires running map 2 and reaching about 4psi over stock. Even when I would use LC I never got into the 1.5s, 1.63 was my norm. I wish dragy used the same slop error margin Vbox did, I should see how Vbox reads for me...if it will even work after all these years sitting in a box.

Quote:
Thanks. Good numbers!

I loathed the Vbox—I threw it in my fire pit one evening after I bought the Dragy... the fire pit was burning nicely at the time—it's the most satisfying result the Vbox ever gave me.

Your elevation changes are rendering those runs invalid—is that what you meant by the altitude problems?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #148
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

Quote:
I loathed the Vbox—I through it in my fire pit one evening after I bought the Dragy... the fire pit was burning nicely at the time—it's the most satisfying result the Vbox ever gave me.

Your elevation changes are rendering those runs invalid—is that what you meant by the altitude problems?
Yeah, thats my issue the constant change in what it records as slope. I almost always use the same road too, it never reads the same and its very flat. The road is right next to an Air Force base so I’ve always wonder if that messes up some of the GPS readings. But for my own data as long as its the same road the slope has little meaning to myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #149
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I loathed the Vbox—I through it in my fire pit one evening after I bought the Dragy... the fire pit was burning nicely at the time—it's the most satisfying result the Vbox ever gave me.

Yeah, thats my issue the constant change in what it records as slope. I almost always use the same road too, it never reads the same and its very flat. The road is right next to an Air Force base so I’ve always wonder if that messes up some of the GPS readings. But for my own data as long as its the same road the slope has little meaning to myself.
I've seen my nav system go nuts on the same intersection on every car I've ever owned here in WA—literally thinks I made a 90 degree turn and back again in less than a second. That's likely magnetic, though, I would've thought altitude was from GPS coordinates mapped to a database of known elevations... unless it's trying to triangulate that, too. Have you looked to see what the car thinks?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #150
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep

I have not compared to the car. Oddly it wasnt that bad till about 6 months ago, I’m thinking about just getting a new Dragy and see if that helps. I dont know about you but its battery doesnt last anymore, I have to keep it plugged in.

Quote:
I've seen my nav system go nuts on the same intersection on every car I've ever owned here in WA—literally thinks I made a 90 degree turn and back again in less than a second. That's likely magnetic, though, I would've thought altitude was from GPS coordinates mapped to a database of known elevations... unless it's trying to triangulate that, too. Have you looked to see what the car thinks?

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 01-19-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #151
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not compared to the car. Oddly it wasnt that bad till about 6 months ago, I’m thinking about just getting a new Dragy and see if that helps. I dont know about you but its battery doesnt last anymore anymore, I have to keep it plugged in.
EXACTLY the same problem, yup.
Appreciate 0