BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Why Are People Assholes to People in Service Jobs?

03-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #45
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

A person I worked with once point this out to me, not that I every gave someone a grief about how they were doing their job, especially someone who job was to help people.

This person said, never give admins/support people grief, they do not get paid enough to take your abuse, and usually they are only doing what they were told to do, on the other hand you give their bosses hell since they are paid way more and are paid to take the abuse.

Because of this observation any time I interact with someone who is there to take care of me or help me, I try to determine if they are doing what they are told to do or they just lack the knowledge or experience. If that is the case I blame the boss and try to treat them fairly. I can say that very few times have I run into someone in service type position who was a complete ass and deserved to have shits storm come down on them.

When I see someone take their frustration out on someone who is there to help them, usually it is all about that person making themselves feel good they made someone else's life miserable.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #46
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Exactly. There is no such thing as "above" or "beneath" somebody else. We are all equal, and there are decent people, and there are assholes.

I find this really bad when travelling in the US. People think money buys them entitlement. The Nouveau Riche syndrome.
I think it really depends on where you are. Not to get political, but you will find people in the red states tend to be far nicer to strangers than people in the blue states.
      03-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #47
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I think it really depends on where you are. Not to get political, but you will find people in the red states tend to be far nicer to strangers than people in the blue states.
Usually only if that stranger is not a minority or LGBT.
      03-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #48
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I've dealt with shop boys who were probably gay but they behaved and that was all right. I don't mind gays while they keep their distance. I do mind f@gs (who don't bother to keep distance and that's insulting).
I've found that those who are most vocal about other's sexuality are often insecure about their own. Sounds like you're easily threatened.
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      03-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #49
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:

And yes, I know those who've worked at restaurants never eat there themselves.
Not true in most cases. You don't know.

Quote:

A waiter shouldn't turn restaurant into a whorehouse. I've dealt with shop boys who were probably gay but they behaved and that was all right. I don't mind gays while they keep their distance. I do mind f@gs (who don't bother to keep distance and that's insulting).

So what's the point? The bravest of gays could've just fucked himself for even more satisfaction, I suppose.
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
I've found that those who are most vocal about other's sexuality are often insecure about their own. Sounds like you're easily threatened.
Yep, appears to be easily triggered.
      03-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #50
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
I've dealt with shop boys who were probably gay but they behaved and that was all right. I don't mind gays while they keep their distance. I do mind f@gs (who don't bother to keep distance and that's insulting).
How would you go about making such a finding?
      03-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #51
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
So what's the point? The bravest of gays could've just fucked himself for even more satisfaction, I suppose.
The point is that you have very likely eaten semen, feces, and God knows what else with your attitude. You just didn't know it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #52
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Usually only if that stranger is not a minority or LGBT.
That has not been my experience, unless you are flamboyant, then it wouldn't matter if you were just a teen with purple hair. They will still look at you funny. Minorities have not been an issue from my experience either.
      03-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Isn't it just good motivation for them to strive for a better job?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #54
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
The point is that you have very likely eaten semen, feces, and God knows what else with your attitude. You just didn't know it.
So have you. You just don't know that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #55
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
I didn't notice that at once: it's you who loves to love himself in public.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #56
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

There's ALWAYS 2 sides to a story,

just as you have douchebag customers, you have douchebag "attendants"

what grinds my gears is the following:

1> When I go into "any store" and the cashier is totally rude, doesn't say hello, good morning, on the phone, or chatting to his or her ,mate.

I always say good morning, hello, ALWAYS say please and thank you.
I don't help to bag, because, I'm too busy checking the register to make sure there charging me correctly.

NOT RELATED but...
2> When you open a door, help someone (especially a fem.) and they don't acknowledge you , I always say loudly, "YOUR WELCOME"

3> Giving people way.letting people cut in line (in cars) and again no friendly wave

4> I HATE when any fem gives you shit because you forgot to do something for them... be polite etc.

There's a VERY famous saying

"Customers are not an inconvenience, or being in the way, they are HOW you get paid and make money, without CUSTOMERS, you have NO JOB, and customers will go elsewhere"

We all have good and bad day's, I'll always be polite 1st and 9 times out of 10 that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Seriously, fuck you.

I worked in the ultimate service cesspool, Walmart and I even noticed it then.

Stupidly, I thought people were jerks just because I was young, but now I realize some actually think they are better than any person working in the service industry or any low wage jobs.

Example: Kroger is absolutely slammed busy. There are usually people bagging groceries for you, but there were not enough employees to scan and bag. The lines were 4 carts deep at each register. The setup it such that it’s obvious you’re supposed to bag your own groceries if no one is at the end of the belt.

The cashier, a 16-18 year old kid with a positive attitude, asked how this couple was doing, only to not even get a response. I watched a mid 40s fat douchebag and his fat wife watch the cashier scan all the Cheetos, Doritos, cookies, and frozen dinners they bought and stare blankly as he had to bag everything himself. They also critiqued how he did it and kept demanding for certain things to be put together. This held up the line even more.

I stand there watching this unhelpful asshat and become increasingly pissed thinking about how he’s going to sit in front of the TV with his bag of Cheetos and will wipe his orange stained fingers on the couch cushions in his shitty house while slowly poisoning his diabetic body with processed sugar and fat.

Honestly, how old do you have to be to realize you need to help bag? You’re not only disrespecting the employee, you’re disrespecting everyone waiting in line. Of course, you can’t say shit to people these days because they are insane.

I also went to dinner and noticed no one says please and thank you to servers bringing their food or even look them in the eye when asking for (demanding) something.

I hate people and I hope those servers you disrespect shit in your food.
Appreciate 2