BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    What Dash cam are you using?

09-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #23
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Solar Powered Wyze cam Outdoor V2!!
WyzeCam Outdoor $79.
Wyze Solar Panel $24.
128 Gig Micro SD chip $16.99
There you go! Buy second Wyze Cam outdoor and solar panel and you got 360 coverage and no battery issues.

I have three of these in my yard, I have been testing the effectiveness of the solar panel and I have to say, they work great. The cameras are always charged. The firmware is setup to stop charging so it does not ruin the battery. The cam's remote to a base station where the chip is.

You can set them to record on a chip in them too and set to continuous.

We use a regular wyze cam in the USB power in the MiniVan for travel Cheap Dash cam. If you are away from you Wifi the thing still records.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #24
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

I use viofo front and rear 4k. You can install yourself and tuck the wires under the trim. Will not drain battery and runs off of your 12v auxiliary plug.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #25
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I use viofo front and rear 4k. You can install yourself and tuck the wires under the trim. Will not drain battery and runs off of your 12v auxiliary plug.
It won't drain your battery because it will be shut off when the car is off after a few minutes. Parking mode is a pretty key feature of dash cams now. They catch motion or impact events and have pre&post event detection recordings. That's where you get into battery drain.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #26
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Blackvue 900 two camera. I have it in two cars. You can get free account to auto upload events to the cloud. Works great with in car internet connection. Or can use an independent hot spot device.

Now, does your service guy tell you the dash cam and radar detector will ruin your battery? Because the BMW model of dashcam is magically and does not.

Mike
When I had the BlackVue in my M3 I had the magic battery backup thing. I ended up removing it because I did get warning lights that the battery was being drained.

It wasn't a big deal for me as I'm not worried about the car when it's parked.
I would politely urge you to reconsider your position on parked operation.

In all the years I have owned dash cams (since 2013), the only two times I needed the video were from parked car incidents. Once for a burglary and once for a hit and run driver.

The burglary video resulted in the imprisonment of the thief, and the hit and run driver was identified by license plate on my video and their insurance covered my damages.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 07:02 PM   #27
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex_Stig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Blackvue 900 two camera. I have it in two cars. You can get free account to auto upload events to the cloud. Works great with in car internet connection. Or can use an independent hot spot device.

Now, does your service guy tell you the dash cam and radar detector will ruin your battery? Because the BMW model of dashcam is magically and does not.

Mike
When I had the BlackVue in my M3 I had the magic battery backup thing. I ended up removing it because I did get warning lights that the battery was being drained.

It wasn't a big deal for me as I'm not worried about the car when it's parked.
I would politely urge you to reconsider your position on parked operation.

In all the years I have owned dash cams (since 2013), the only two times I needed the video were from parked car incidents. Once for a burglary and once for a hit and run driver.
Conversely, the only time I wish I had a dashcam was with my F10 M5 when someone clipped me coming out of a street and I had to chase them down.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0