BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Satellite Imagery for Map

10-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #1
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Satellite Imagery for Map

I've been digging for information on this and can't seem to find anything. Have yet to ask the genius but thought I'd throw it out to everyone else on here first.

I noticed the other day that my nav map kept switching back and forth from satellite imagery on the map to a regular map. My question is what makes it switch? There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. My only guess is it pulls this info through a particular data link (phone? car?) and it depends on the signal quality/bandwidth. As the available bandwidth goes up and down while you drive, it adjusts accordingly. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone know how (if possible) to get the imagery to stay on the screen?

Thanks everyone.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #2
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moserkm View Post
I've been digging for information on this and can't seem to find anything. Have yet to ask the genius but thought I'd throw it out to everyone else on here first.

I noticed the other day that my nav map kept switching back and forth from satellite imagery on the map to a regular map. My question is what makes it switch? There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. My only guess is it pulls this info through a particular data link (phone? car?) and it depends on the signal quality/bandwidth. As the available bandwidth goes up and down while you drive, it adjusts accordingly. Can anyone confirm this? Anyone know how (if possible) to get the imagery to stay on the screen?

Thanks everyone.

Kevin
I believe it is based on zoom level. If you want full satellite at all levels you can use Google maps through CarPlay (I would assume it would work with AA as well).
      10-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_fife View Post
I believe it is based on zoom level. If you want full satellite at all levels you can use Google maps through CarPlay (I would assume it would work with AA as well).
Thank you. That was it. Just had to zoom out. I had it on auto zoom so it was going in and out at various times making it seem like there was no rhyme or reason to it.
Appreciate 0