Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions No manual tranny? No new 3 series for me

Closed Thread

10-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #23
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
Nope - its gone in 2019!
I didn't know that. Shame … nice car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #24
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
....a manual transmission option! In the US we can only get the 8 speed automatic transmission. Why? BMW has to sent each engine-transmission combination through EPA testing to determine emissions, and DOT testing for mileage.
It's a bummer, but generally speaking, if you want your cars cheaper than everybody else, stuff gets taken out.

Having said that, BMW only offers manuals (currently) in the lower-order G20s anyway, none of which are sold in the US as there's no demand, nor is there much demand for manual transmissions in BMW's main competitors. So it's a triple foregone conclusion I'm afraid!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #25
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupojava View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
And move to..? manuals are gone everywhere.
He can get a car that has been stuck in a timewarp for the last 16 years: the Nissan 350z.
Yep, and Miata, Subaru wrx, camaro, vette, mustang, challenger. I've also heard the bmw g80/82 will likely retain a manual option. It looks like manual rwd will be mostly limited to sport focused cars and American muscle cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #26
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Nope - its gone in 2019!
What's gone? I've read there will be 2019 Golf R with MT.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
And move to..? manuals are gone everywhere.
The brand new Genesis G70 has a manual transmission option for the four cylinder model.

That's the only one left in the class. The F30 3 Series and Cadillac ATS Sedan had available manual transmissions but they are gone after MY2018 production ends (this month). The Audi A4 had a manual transmission option as well, but that has also been discontinued after MY2018.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
Nope - its gone in 2019!
What's gone? I've read there will be 2019 Golf R with MT.
This article states that a MT is available for the 2019 Golf R.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #29
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

This is why I intend to hold on to my 340i 6MT for a long time. Quite possibly the last performance 3-series with a manual transmission mated to an inline 6-cylinder.
Appreciate 2
MT4life575.50
apascutia172.50
      10-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #30
2015M4inCT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I read somewhere a quoted line from a BMW employee that it's autonomous and safety driving aids that are ultimately killing off the clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #31
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i6MT View Post
I read somewhere a quoted line from a BMW employee that it's autonomous and safety driving aids that are ultimately killing off the clutch pedal.
Uh no. BMW consumers did.

Manuals will be exclusive to enthusiast performance cars realm.
Perhaps the M version may still have the manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #32
Kevin1987
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I love a good manual transmission and I hope the new M3 offers one at least. My only concern is that 3 series is good for those who can't afford a new M3. Maybe BMW should consider bringing us a less expensive M3 that costs less for those who want a MT and don't want to spend over $60k or so. I would have personally loved another 340i xdrive. Europe still gets MT though for 320i and lower models. Too bad no 320i here. There were earlier reports that the 330i would still offer a MT. Too bad it didn't come true.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #33
Kevin1987
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
This is why I intend to hold on to my 340i 6MT for a long time. Quite possibly the last performance 3-series with a manual transmission mated to an inline 6-cylinder.
I think there are many others with the same sentiment. Someone already launched a petition it looks like.

https://www.change.org/p/bmw-bmw-of-...n-bmw-3-series

Just keep asking BMW.. maybe they'll bring us one like they did for the previous generation M5/current M6.
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      10-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #34
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I don't think a change.org petition is going to do anything. They likely saw manual f30 sales, extrapolated and forecasted manual sales for the G20, had a good laugh and decided it isn't worth it from a business perspective.

And I like manuals. My m2c will be a manual, but I do realize this is likely the last new manual car I'll likely buy. It's sad, but I think we all knew this day is coming. At least some of the M cars will still offer a manual.
Appreciate 2
MT4life575.50
snaketh99.50
      10-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #35
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
News outlets say no manual for US

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/10/u-...-bmw-3-series/

Sadness!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #36
Kevin1987
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I don't think a change.org petition is going to do anything. They likely saw manual f30 sales, extrapolated and forecasted manual sales for the G20, had a good laugh and decided it isn't worth it from a business perspective.

And I like manuals. My m2c will be a manual, but I do realize this is likely the last new manual car I'll likely buy. It's sad, but I think we all knew this day is coming. At least some of the M cars will still offer a manual.
Probably true. But it's good to see that some other people care about the MT too. Who knows maybe they thought enthusiasts will be happy with their new "sporty automatic" but in reality most of them want a true MT. But if enough people ask them for it, who knows. They do have one for low end versions (320i and below in Europe), so it's not like they have to build it from scratch. I don't see why they can't make one for the 330i/340i as well in the future, especially when they did it for the M5/M6 just for North America. But I think ideally they should make a cheaper version of the M3 with a MT. But I signed the petition anyways. Let's see!
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #37
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Quote:
Even though purists might lament the demise of the manual, BMW claims that the eight-speed automatic in the new 3-Series provides improved acceleration and performance over a stick shift.
What BMW and others fail to realize is that it's more than just the acceleration and performance numbers, it's about the connection and control you have with your car with a MT. Even tho many of the automatics have the pedals shifters that is still not comparable since they are sequential and lack the true control of a MT.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #38
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Quote:
Even though purists might lament the demise of the manual, BMW claims that the eight-speed automatic in the new 3-Series provides improved acceleration and performance over a stick shift.
What BMW and others fail to realize is that it's more than just the acceleration and performance numbers, it's about the connection and control you have with your car with a MT. Even tho many of the automatics have the pedals shifters that is still not comparable since they are sequential and lack the true control of a MT.
Totally agree

All the hype about the G20 line being a new driver focused car improvement over last gen?!
Tough to stomach the ultimate driving machine no longer has MT!
I hope someone from BMW is reading this stuff
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What BMW and others fail to realize is that it's more than just the acceleration and performance numbers, it's about the connection and control you have with your car with a MT.
BMW absolutely knows that - it's why they still offer manual transmission for some of their vehicles. Its just that as a business, if not enough people choose that option to make it profitable, or at least not a loss generator, it can no longer be justified. And that's where we are today - BMW's data is telling them that not enough people who buy a 3 Series choose a manual transmission anymore.

Quote:
Even tho many of the automatics have the pedals shifters that is still not comparable since they are sequential and lack the true control of a MT.
Technically, they are not sequential, though the interface would have you believing that if you've never used one extensively. Irrespective of that detail, though, it's the lack of clutch pedal that manual purists really miss.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      10-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Technically, they are not sequential, though the interface would have you believing that if you've never used one extensively. Irrespective of that detail, though, it's the lack of clutch pedal that manual purists really miss.
What does this mean? You have to go thru the gears in order so how is that not sequential?

With a true MT you can downshift from 4th directly to 2nd in a corner. You can't do that with paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #41
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What does this mean? You have to go thru the gears in order so how is that not sequential?

With a true MT you can downshift from 4th directly to 2nd in a corner. You can't do that with paddle shifters.
I almost didn't bother making that point because I don't want to derail the thread. But the fact is that, with many (if not most) automated transmissions, you can do multi-gear downshifts. BMW's DCT allows this by using the kick-down switch in the gas pedal in conjunction with the downshift paddle. However, you can also skip gears by using quick, successive paddle pulls. In this case the transmission never engages the intermediary gears nor closes the clutch.

I believe - though admittedly haven't researched this in some time, and don't recall details - that some of BMW's and others' traditional automatic transmissions with torque converters also have these features.

However, as I say, none of this matters to someone who wants control of the clutch with a real pedal. So, for the sake of this particular thread's discussion, it's all academic anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #42
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I almost didn't bother making that point because I don't want to derail the thread. But the fact is that, with many (if not most) automated transmissions, you can do multi-gear downshifts. BMW's DCT allows this by using the kick-down switch in the gas pedal in conjunction with the downshift paddle. However, you can also skip gears by using quick, successive paddle pulls. In this case the transmission never engages the intermediary gears nor closes the clutch.

I believe - though admittedly haven't researched this in some time, and don't recall details - that some of BMW's and others' traditional automatic transmissions with torque converters also have these features.

However, as I say, none of this matters to someone who wants control of the clutch with a real pedal. So, for the sake of this particular thread's discussion, it's all academic anyway.
This is all like a bad fake gran turismo playstation game. Just drive it like a normal auto and stop pretending lol.
Nothing will ever replace 3 pedals and a real shifter feeling.
Appreciate 4
      10-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #43
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Quote:
This is all like a bad fake gran turismo playstation game. Just drive it like a normal auto and stop pretending lol.
#preach. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, the manual's demise is nigh. This upcoming M could be the last for BMWNA. I got a little teary eyed trading in my GTI last year - could very well be the last manual I get to own.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #44
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And queue thread derailment in 3, 2, 1.

It's not really about pretending anything. It's about maintaining control of which gear ratio the transmission is currently using - a crucial piece of functionality for keeping the engine in the power band and maximizing its potential - while also having the quickest shifts. You give up clutch control for quick shifts - that's the tradeoff. The ability to select the gear you want when you want it is not given up.

Quote:
For the manual purist, that's true. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, hopefully everyone is content to have learned something at the expense of this little side-discussion. We can get back on topic now.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread