BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Weak Links On Larger 1000+ HP Builds?

09-06-2023, 05:33 PM   #1
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp

Weak Links On Larger 1000+ HP Builds?

Not sure how many on here who are pushing bigger power numbers of 1000hp plus but if there are any I would definitely be interested in their feedback on other weak links discovered in the drivetrain. Aside from the obvious requirements of forged engine internals and built trans to hold this type of power what about other hard parts like drive shaft? Diff/Transfer case? Axles? I’m understanding this will likely be a learn by breaking shit experience but don’t want to repeat the same mistakes if others have paved the way already
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:22 PM   #2
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradyc5 View Post
Not sure how many on here who are pushing bigger power numbers of 1000hp plus but if there are any I would definitely be interested in their feedback on other weak links discovered in the drivetrain. Aside from the obvious requirements of forged engine internals and built trans to hold this type of power what about other hard parts like drive shaft? Diff/Transfer case? Axles? I’m understanding this will likely be a learn by breaking shit experience but don’t want to repeat the same mistakes if others have paved the way already
You're on point with the forged internals and a built transmission. I know pure drive train solutions also can beef up your transfer case.

It's my understanding the differential is welded shut so it cannot be beefed up.

If I were you and I was concerned about axles, differential and other miscellaneous parts that that are not available in an upgraded version, I would buy backup parts.

M5's are expensive to replace so a lot of them are considered lost by the insurance companies and wind up at the salvage yard to be parted out.

So you can find a car that has very low miles being salvaged out and you can buy the axles, differential, transfer case and all other parts you can think of. Hell you can even pick up a low mile new engine.

Basically if they don't make upgraded version of the parts you're looking for, the best you can do is buy low mileage used backup parts so when they break you can switch them out and be back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #3
bbradyc5
BMW Noob
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Comp

Good to know on diff. I’ll check with Pure Drivetrain on transfer case options when trans goes to them. Axles and driveshafts will likely get upgraded with custom replacements if they go boom but I hear you on having some stock backups on the shelf ready to go in the mean time.
Appreciate 0