BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Adding a valved muffler to MPE

11-03-2022, 03:43 AM   #1
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M5 Comp,

Adding a valved muffler to MPE

I have the m performance exhaust on my car and recently changed out my downpipes. It’s a little louder than I would prefer so I am thinking about either swapping axle back to a valved setup or having my shop fab up a valved muffler into the MPE setup.

What I am concerned with is coding. Are the factory exhaust valves coded out with the MPE? Also, does an Akro axle back setup come with valves and actuators or will I need to source additional parts?

Is there another way to accomplish quieting this down a little without adding the factory DPs back into the mix that I am missing?

Ideally I would like the valves to act OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #2
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Was it primaries or secondaries or the full set that made it too loud. Sorry I can’t help with the muffler advice but hoping to learn from your experience as I’m considering Downpipe options for my MPE
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCade View Post
I have the m performance exhaust on my car and recently changed out my downpipes. It’s a little louder than I would prefer so I am thinking about either swapping axle back to a valved setup or having my shop fab up a valved muffler into the MPE setup.

What I am concerned with is coding. Are the factory exhaust valves coded out with the MPE? Also, does an Akro axle back setup come with valves and actuators or will I need to source additional parts?

Is there another way to accomplish quieting this down a little without adding the factory DPs back into the mix that I am missing?

Ideally I would like the valves to act OEM.
Nothing is coded out. The MPE is still going to be loud with stock DP's.

Don't really see how you can just fab something like this up, it has wiring and an electrical component as well, unless you just somehow take it from your stock exhaust and move it to the MPE.

I really don't see the point in doing this. The MPE is like $6,000, a large part of that cost is the titanium muffler. If you remove that for a custom muffler, what's the point of even having the MPE? I'd sell it and get something else.
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2385.00
      11-03-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
Nothing is coded out. The MPE is still going to be loud with stock DP's.

Don't really see how you can just fab something like this up, it has wiring and an electrical component as well, unless you just somehow take it from your stock exhaust and move it to the MPE.

I really don't see the point in doing this. The MPE is like $6,000, a large part of that cost is the titanium muffler. If you remove that for a custom muffler, what's the point of even having the MPE? I'd sell it and get something else.
I have the MPE currently. It was perfect before adding DPs. Now it is louder than I want for a DP but I needed the DP for my tuning goals.

I don’t have any OEM valves or anything else as my car was optioned with MPE. So I am trying to figure out if I am going to need to do anything coding wise to enable the use of valves again. The wiring is in place for them.

Fabbing up exhaust with valves will not be hard at all, just trying to determine if it will be more cost effective to buy a valved axle back or make mine work.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #5
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Was it primaries or secondaries or the full set that made it too loud. Sorry I can’t help with the muffler advice but hoping to learn from your experience as I’m considering Downpipe options for my MPE
I did both at the same time so I can’t speak to which one specifically makes the most difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
I have the MPE currently. It was perfect before adding DPs. Now it is louder than I want for a DP but I needed the DP for my tuning goals.

I don’t have any OEM valves or anything else as my car was optioned with MPE. So I am trying to figure out if I am going to need to do anything coding wise to enable the use of valves again. The wiring is in place for them.

Fabbing up exhaust with valves will not be hard at all, just trying to determine if it will be more cost effective to buy a valved axle back or make mine work.
Nothing is coded out, they are just unplugged. I had a shop install mine and there was nothing else required.

Still don't understand why you'd want to lose the titanium muffler, that's a big waste of $$
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594150.50
      11-03-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nothing is coded out, they are just unplugged. I had a shop install mine and there was nothing else required.

Still don't understand why you'd want to lose the titanium muffler, that's a big waste of $$
Have you seen the way the muffler is routed on the MPE? I am not sure what the internal routing looks like but it looks like the muffler is used as a crossover/equalization connection.

I would prefer to not have to mod it at all, but I’ve got to do something to cut the raspiness down a little and maybe even quiet it down for the daily drive aspect. If I mod the MPE it will all be done in titanium.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #8
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Adding valves isn't gonna do a damn thing. All the valves do on other exhausts is partially bypass the muffler to make louder. So adding "valves" in your case will only make it louder.

You need to swap exhausts to a quieter one. Maybe even pick up an oem one for cheap. DP without the resonator to oem muffler sounds very good. Also don't be fooled by "competition" muffler. No such thing. The resonator is the only difference between base and comp.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 02:54 AM   #9
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Adding valves isn't gonna do a damn thing. All the valves do on other exhausts is partially bypass the muffler to make louder. So adding "valves" in your case will only make it louder.

You need to swap exhausts to a quieter one. Maybe even pick up an oem one for cheap. DP without the resonator to oem muffler sounds very good. Also don't be fooled by "competition" muffler. No such thing. The resonator is the only difference between base and comp.
Adding valves and a correct muffler for the design I would do absolutely would quiet it down. That is why it is titled as a “valved muffler.” There would be no reason to try to valve anything on a MPE with its configuration and muffler.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 09:21 PM   #10
bimmerbeast9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 m5c

You guys didn't do your research before you went and bought your exhausts.
The MPE is a valveless almost straight piped application.
If you had done your research and studied the pictures of the MPE and aftermarket exhausts, you know that there is a certain exhaust made by certain company that is a carbon copy of the MPE , except it has valves that divert all exhaust flow through a canister. And eliminates all backfires and quiets it down perfectly.
. It is far better than the MPE and it is made for you to run the catless downpipes so you can control the backfires and noise unlike the MPE. The MPE is flawed majorly in that regard and I would never have bought it because I did my research.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 11:37 PM   #11
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast9 View Post
If you had done your research and studied the pictures of the MPE and aftermarket exhausts, you know that there is a certain exhaust made by certain company that is a carbon copy of the MPE , except it has valves that divert all exhaust flow through a canister. And eliminates all backfires and quiets it down perfectly.
. It is far better than the MPE and it is made for you to run the catless downpipes so you can control the backfires and noise unlike the MPE. The MPE is flawed majorly in that regard and I would never have bought it because I did my research.
Well, instead of the accusatory “you didn’t do your homework”, it was installed on my car as a factory option. I didn’t choose it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 09:02 PM   #12
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbeast9 View Post
Wow, thanks for thinking for all of us. Just maybe, we wanted exactly what the MPE offers? I love my MPE. Don't give a crap about valves or having it quiet.

If anything, I want it even louder than it is, and it's LOUD.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 09:26 PM   #13
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow, thanks for thinking for all of us. Just maybe, we wanted exactly what the MPE offers? I love my MPE. Don't give a crap about valves or having it quiet.

If anything, I want it even louder than it is, and it's LOUD.
That dude is a clown and has been trying to shit on every post.

I absolutely loved the sound before the downpipes. I’ll figure something out.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #14
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Adding valves and a correct muffler for the design I would do absolutely would quiet it down. That is why it is titled as a “valved muffler.” There would be no reason to try to valve anything on a MPE with its configuration and muffler.
ok so you want to replace the MPE for a new exhaust that has valves then? your text above made it seem like you wanted to add valves to the MPE itself. Not replace the exhaust for a different one that has valves. My B.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #15
CrashCade
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
ok so you want to replace the MPE for a new exhaust that has valves then? your text above made it seem like you wanted to add valves to the MPE itself. Not replace the exhaust for a different one that has valves. My B.
No, I was thinking of changing the configuration of the MPE to incorporate a valved muffler design.

It might be easier to just change the axle back to the valves akro setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #16
will0621
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M5c, 20 X3MC, 20 X5 40i

I would just sell your MPE and get the akrapovic or Remus rather than modding the MPE. Used MPE go for maybe 4-5k? Once you mod your mpe it’s almost worthless in the second hand market. Use the proceeds to buy a 2k Remus or 6-6.5k used akrapovic and have your valve functionality back. Another option is to just buy someones stock exhaust for like $500 and add a xpipe if you want more sound while keeping valve functionality.

Just reread your post- You may need to source a set of actuators if they were removed when your mpe was originally installed. I have akra which requires you to reuse your oem actuators
Appreciate 0