BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Lithium ion battery repair

07-14-2022, 05:01 AM   #1
M3erez@gmail.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 compatition

[IMG][/IMG]
Don't throw away your bad lithium ion battery to get a new one!
I can fix any lithium ion battery for less then half price from a new battery,that retails for over $2000.

Same day turn around.

Located in San Fernando valley and entire l.a area.
Please contact me for any questions.
818-462 7631
Erez
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F30Andy1774.00
      07-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
hey did you know your door is open?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Aronis This thread is for you
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
hey did you know your door is open?
Lol this is what I asked the cops at the accident scene "did you know my hood is open???" Cuz the I drive wouldn't shut up about it his reply: oh really? I didn't know you had a hood! (This was before I saw the car from the outside)
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      07-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

YOU TRIGGERED ME MAN!!!

I went to my local dealer. They recognized that the cars history showed "Battery Management, start engine" but since it was not showing at that moment they could not do much. So when I got home the warning was back.

I was going to go to another dealer about 3 hours away but thought the error would not show after driving/charging. I drove to Boston and back for a visit and the friggen warning was still on. So I guess I should have gone to Albany.

As long as the thing starts, I'll just wait it out.

SCREW BMW.

I'll wait until someone else cracks the DIY method of swapping to a AGM battery and put one of those in for $400. It's only a matter of time.

So sick of shitty service. So disenchanted with 'high end cars.' BMW has become a crappy company. Putting a $2000 lithium ion battery in the car to save weight (and no spare) was STUPID. If you want to track your GD M5 you can pull the spare, remove the rear seats, and loose 50 pounds and you'll end up with the same curb weight. Jackasses.

And they can stick their new "Hybrid" V8 with the friggen $27,000 battery. Good luck to the BMW fanboys.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 3
Maverik2594140.00
Egrunt553.00
F30Andy1774.00
      07-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Oh, and I can see it now, 'you fix' your battery and something else dies, warranty GONE. Shit company.

Mike

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
YOU TRIGGERED ME MAN!!!

I went to my local dealer. They recognized that the cars history showed "Battery Management, start engine" but since it was not showing at that moment they could not do much. So when I got home the warning was back.

I was going to go to another dealer about 3 hours away but thought the error would not show after driving/charging. I drove to Boston and back for a visit and the friggen warning was still on. So I guess I should have gone to Albany.

As long as the thing starts, I'll just wait it out.

SCREW BMW.

I'll wait until someone else cracks the DIY method of swapping to a AGM battery and put one of those in for $400. It's only a matter of time.

So sick of shitty service. So disenchanted with 'high end cars.' BMW has become a crappy company. Putting a $2000 lithium ion battery in the car to save weight (and no spare) was STUPID. If you want to track your GD M5 you can pull the spare, remove the rear seats, and loose 50 pounds and you'll end up with the same curb weight. Jackasses.

And they can stick their new "Hybrid" V8 with the friggen $27,000 battery. Good luck to the BMW fanboys.

Mike
In the vo coding you can tell the car it has an agm battery, I wonder if it's as simple as telling it hey you have an agm battery and swapping over?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
In the vo coding you can tell the car it has an agm battery, I wonder if it's as simple as telling it hey you have an agm battery and swapping over?
You are triggering me more. JK. All in good fun.

That is what I have read but I'd LOVE to see a nice YOUTUBE of someone doing it.

These cars are very touchy. My low battery triggers a BDC error, confirmed by the dealer. So the voltages have to be in a pretty narrow band of "correct." I am not sure if real damage can occur to the control units if the voltage is low. Rolling computers.

A volt meter would be nice in the car.....um.....

Mike

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That is what I have read but I'd LOVE to see a nice YOUTUBE of someone doing it.

These cars are very touchy. My low battery triggers a BDC error, confirmed by the dealer. So the voltages have to be in a pretty narrow band of "correct." I am not sure if real damage can occur to the control units if the voltage is low. Rolling computers.

Mike
There is a voltmeter in the secret menu, at least on the f10 models I know for sure 100%, and the issue is no one really wants to try something and risk frying a computer lol, go do the 24 hr test drive from carmax swap it see if it works🤣🤣🤣🤣 (for legal reasons this was a joke and in no way any sort of advice)

And yes low voltage will trigger everything on bmws lol once it gets bad enough it triggers cel and misfire, lights, abs and the bdc stuff, radio, restraint system, everything lol I watched a car light up slowly due to a falling alternator was amusing to watch it slowly die.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 09:39 PM   #10
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post

Mike
I have 3 volt meters now.

1) my P3 gauge
2) my Drone mobile unit which connects to my phone
3) my antigravity battery monitor

Lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
Aronis2271.50
      07-17-2022, 11:49 PM   #11
M5Neededi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5, Ram 1500

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3erez@gmail.com View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
I can fix any lithium ion battery for less then half price from a new battery,that retails for over $2000.

Same day turn around.

818-462 7631
Erez
So does the repair require you to replace cells? What is the life expectancy for these batteries anyway? And how long would you expect it to last after such a repair? Also I hear people talking about converting to standard battery, do you know about that? Sorry about asking ton of questions. Saw an opportunity to learn more about the LiOn battery I thought I ask.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 11:51 PM   #12
M3erez@gmail.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Neededi View Post
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Same day turn around.

818-462 7631
Erez
So does the repair require you to replace cells? What is the life expectancy for these batteries anyway? And how long would you expect it to last after such a repair? Also I hear people talking about converting to standard battery, do you know about that? Sorry about asking ton of questions. Saw an opportunity to learn more about the LiOn battery I thought I ask.
Location?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 12:54 PM   #13
M5Neededi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Location?
I live in Carmel.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #14
M3erez@gmail.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Same day turn around.

818-462 7631
Erez
Location?
Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #15
M3erez@gmail.com
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Location?
I live in Carmel.
Still having issues with the battery or you fix it?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:02 AM   #16
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Jeez, you only posted 5 posts on this forum, all about your battery.

Get the hell outa here.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 11:14 AM   #17
M5Neededi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Still having issues with the battery or you fix it?
I do not have problems with the battery. I was just trying to understand details of 'repair' for these batteries.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 04:35 PM   #18
x42bnx
Emissions What?
Rep
Drives: M240I / CTS-V / RAM PW

Quote:
I do not have problems with the battery. I was just trying to understand details of 'repair' for these batteries.
I am willing to bet that he isn't going to share the repair and is perhaps charging quite a bit for such an easy thing to do.

Anyways, I'll help you with the information since I don't believe forums are a place for gatekeeping this knowledge.

Recently left my car on overnight on accident, battery shut down at 11V (battery disconnects internally) and had to perform this maneuver because hooking a charger up will not help. A few things to note,

The battery on our F90 M5's and other BMW LiIon batteries contains an internal disconnect that prevents cell damage. LiIon and LiPo both are highly combustible when subject to internal damage, this is BMW's way of mitigating that.

In this video,

The gentleman takes the case off of the battery and exposes the posts within, hooks a LifePo4 specific battery charger up and charge the battery to the proper voltage by bypassing the switch (posts).

- If you are getting 0V at battery posts, the switch has flipped internally. You will need to take the case off the battery and charge the cells directly, video shows how. In some instances the battery disconnect will re-connect when voltage gets to an operable level, if not you will apply voltage manually to the switch. This is done by disconnecting the switch manually (Two white plugs on the left side of a face up battery after disassembled, has multiple colored wires going into them)

If there still isn't voltage, disconnect the plugs for fifteen minutes and then re-connect them this usually works. After it switched, verify at the terminal posts you are getting voltage and re-install the battery. If you guys have questions feel free to message me as I realize this is 1) not my thread and 2) Easier to explain where you might get stuck.
Appreciate 1