BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW and McLaren in talks to build BMW Supercar [updated 9/23/15 with BMW response]

09-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #111
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooper View Post
Going to try some reverse psychology here as I've been hoping that BMW would bring out a supercar ever since the McLaren F1's run ended (which, as we all know, never happened).

Oh, how I would jump onto websites and post about the latest rumour BMW would inevitably throw out there about a supposed M1 for the modern age. I would doodle sketches about what such a BMW might end up looking like. I'd daydream about what kind of performance this magic unicorn would have.

...But nothing ever happened.

So, instead of salivating at the thought of this, I'm going to categorically state that this car will never see the light of day. Ever. Mark my words, a couple of months would go by and we'll all see a post on this very site about how plans for the great new BMW supercar were shelved due to a new CEO not seeing the point of it, or due to some official in a country none of us ever heard of whispering to one of his cabinet ministers about an impending economic meltdown, or how a BMW supercar just doesn't fit in with modern BMW's vision of efficiency, or Ron Dennis will go along with it only to decide that a Honda powerplant would make more sense for obvious reasons, or BMW will suddenly remember that they still have that Toyota Carbon Fibre agreement going on and will rather just release a new Z4, or they'll state that the market for such a car is flooded with R8s and 911s and GTs and 488s and Huracans and 650s and everything else and feel that the world doesn't need another supercar.

Oh no, my dear friends, instead of us ever seeing a BMW supercar, we'll instead get an X7, a Rolls Royce SUV/ SAV, a 7 GT and some more FWD 1 and 2 Series.
Just wait, that's what will actually happen. I know it, you all know it. The stars will never align for anything like this to ever transpire.

Dear automotive gods please prove me wrong...
The paranoia is strong with you. Considering what BMW has done to make their entire line meet mpg standards, I think there is an option for a limited run car that violates all rules. Sadly, it will go into garages across the world.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #112
s3baman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
I hope so much that this is a thing. But please don't let it be a McLaren with a BMW bodykit. While McLaren know how to really make great suspension, I think that M should do the power train and steering and of course the double clutch transmission.
To me, if BMW delivers the engine as mentioned in the article, they would be mad to give the tranny design to Macca. The entire powerplant will be designed by the boffins at //M, you can bet on that
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #113
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
The paranoia is strong with you. Considering what BMW has done to make their entire line meet mpg standards, I think there is an option for a limited run car that violates all rules. Sadly, it will go into garages across the world.
I'm sure the MPG standards would allow for a supercar of sorts. It just seems like rumors of an imminent BMW supercar have been swirling the internet since the dawn of time, sometimes from random speculators and other times from credible BMW sources, all of which resulted in vaporware.

I'm just kind of hoping someone at BMW reads my post and goes "Oh, we never actually make a supercar, do we? Well, let's just show this kooper so-and-so and approve production of our supercar. That'll shut him up for good!"

If my plan fails, then I'll just move onto more extreme methods. There's not much I won't do to see an actual, post-'80s BMW production supercar.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #114
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Its gonna be big...
      09-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #115
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasovan View Post
no good. BMW is perfectly capable of doing it alone. No pure blood BMW? no BMW then for me, thanks. that's merely a cost saving measure.
Dirty Mudbloods. Pure blood only!

I think maybe you should re-think whether a Mclaren Partnership is actually a cost saving measure. I'd gander it's actually the opposite.
      09-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #116
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Now we're talking..I've been waiting for this!
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #117
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015...supercar-54069

Quote:
In answer to motoring.com.au’s enquiries, M boss Frank van Meel said the concept was pure fantasy and that there had been no contact with McLaren from anybody at either BMW or M.

“I haven’t had a phone call, Harald Krüger [BMW’s CEO] hasn’t had a phone call and Klaus Fröhlich [BMW’s Research and Development director] hasn’t had a phone call,” he said.

All three men were cited in the original story published by UK magazine, CAR.

“We haven’t made one, either, and we don’t have plans to,” van Meel stated.

The report suggested a prototype would be shown at the Frankfurt motor show in 2017, running on a development of McLaren’s ubiquitous carbon-fibre T16 tub and using a 4.0-litre biturbo V8, before being built in late 2018.

“We admire McLaren and we have obviously worked with them in the past, but there is nothing on the agenda,” van Meel insisted.

“The halo car of the entire BMW brand is the i8 and a lot of money and engineering has been invested in it. It will remain the only halo for its lifecycle.

“It would make no sense for us to put a car above the i8, or even priced near it, that would have the same sort of layout but more power.”

That hasn’t stopped plenty of people hoping for a V8 conversion for the i8’s carbon-fibre tub, replacing the inline three-cylinder motor. But that motor is mounted laterally, and reworking the architecture to accept a longitudinal V8 would demand a lot more than just losing the back seats.

“I don’t understand why we would need to work with McLaren for a supercar anyway,” he said.

“All of the technologies the story suggested are technologies that are core competences here at BMW and at M.

“Nobody in the world is more advanced with carbon-fibre than we are."

We have shown how strong we are with electric boosting for performance and efficiency, plus we still have a great V8 engine here. What would we need McLaren to do for us?” van Meel stated.
So that's that then. Hot version of the i8 or nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #118
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I would much rather have BMW build something in the giant market between their current top performing car and a "Supercar". Building an ultra exclusive, high end car I may never see doesn't do much for me. The $100k-$200k market would make it much more accessible and far more likely to see at a dealer, at the track or around town.

Also, building a super car in extremely limited numbers only to show what you can do, not caring that it isn't profitable and making no business sense besides marketing, only to go back to building every day cars also doesn't matter that much to me.
      09-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #119
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

It was just too good to be true, oh well.....
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #120
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Well that was fun
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #121
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Sensational. Quad turbo V8 is cool but wish it was a V10.
Or V12

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #122
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

It would be nice to see an official successor to the F1. Not the P1 we have seen. An official F1 v2.

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #123
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #124
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I'd prefer a joint McLaren vs a joint Toyota supercar. And I was just getting excited about BMW finally creating a super car after so many years. :

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #125
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

McLaren-BMW party crashes right here on Page 6.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #126
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

As a company and indeed a business we talk to many throughout the industry.
Just because we talk to them does not mean we make a deal with them.
But we have spoken to a few sports car manufacturers to project certain discussion on which could be shared or indeed be a beneficial proposal.

We have recently begun a strategy at BMW under the guise of "Gene Sequencing" in order to integrate further products through proposal into gaps of the brand. Which we can count the BMW M2, BMW M4 GTS, BMW X7 and BMWi5 as part of this strategy but also the BMW 9er our Maybach rival proposal for late 2018,early 2019 which will share innovation with the next generation of RR models.
Attached Images

09-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #127
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
As a company and indeed a business we talk to many throughout the industry.
Just because we talk to them does not mean we make a deal with them.
But we have spoken to a few sports car manufacturers to project certain discussion on which could be shared or indeed be a beneficial proposal.

We have recently begun a strategy at BMW under the guise of "Gene Sequencing" in order to integrate further products through proposal into gaps of the brand. Which we can count the BMW M2, BMW M4 GTS, BMW X7 and BMWi5 as part of this strategy but also the BMW 9er our Maybach rival proposal for late 2018,early 2019 which will share innovation with the next generation of RR models.
Here's a gap: there hasn't been an M Z-model in nearly a decade. We haven't seen any prototypes of the next gen Z (or Z's) so I assume it's nowhere close. Been hearing about Toyota for years now, but still haven't seen anything come out of that. This should arguably be the sportiest model in the lineup, yet it's not positioned that way at all. What gives?

Don't say nobody buys small sports cars or convertibles. People do buy the good ones!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #128
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Before you get too excited, remember this abomination:

Don't be seduced by the doors. It drove like a tank.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #129
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #130
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015...supercar-54069
Quote:
In answer to motoring.com.au’s enquiries, M boss Frank van Meel said the concept was pure fantasy and that there had been no contact with McLaren from anybody at either BMW or M.

“I haven’t had a phone call, Harald Krüger [BMW’s CEO] hasn’t had a phone call and Klaus Fröhlich [BMW’s Research and Development director] hasn’t had a phone call,” he said.

All three men were cited in the original story published by UK magazine, CAR.

“We haven’t made one, either, and we don’t have plans to,” van Meel stated.

The report suggested a prototype would be shown at the Frankfurt motor show in 2017, running on a development of McLaren’s ubiquitous carbon-fibre T16 tub and using a 4.0-litre biturbo V8, before being built in late 2018.

“We admire McLaren and we have obviously worked with them in the past, but there is nothing on the agenda,” van Meel insisted.

“The halo car of the entire BMW brand is the i8 and a lot of money and engineering has been invested in it. It will remain the only halo for its lifecycle.

“It would make no sense for us to put a car above the i8, or even priced near it, that would have the same sort of layout but more power.”

That hasn’t stopped plenty of people hoping for a V8 conversion for the i8’s carbon-fibre tub, replacing the inline three-cylinder motor. But that motor is mounted laterally, and reworking the architecture to accept a longitudinal V8 would demand a lot more than just losing the back seats.

“I don’t understand why we would need to work with McLaren for a supercar anyway,” he said.

“All of the technologies the story suggested are technologies that are core competences here at BMW and at M.

“Nobody in the world is more advanced with carbon-fibre than we are."

We have shown how strong we are with electric boosting for performance and efficiency, plus we still have a great V8 engine here. What would we need McLaren to do for us?” van Meel stated.
Sorry, Franky boy, but even being a BMW loyalist and at times fan-boy, I think you're being a bit arrogant and well, wishful, when you say "Nobody in the world is better at carbon fiber than we are."

Uhhh, maybe, nobody in your world, as in Audi, Mercedes, and other high-end manufacturers. But the likes of super-highend sports cars like Koenigsegg and McLaren, who, in particular produces every single car they make based on a complete carbon fiber monocoque, not just a couple, relatively low volume models. And that's not even going into race-car manufacturers, which, HOLY SHIT! McLaren is one, and has been implementing it in their race cars for 3 to 4 times longer than BMW has even had the capability in production cars. Yes, including carbon fiber elements in the sportiest cars in the range, the new 7 series, and the i vehicles is something to be proud of, but saying you are the best at carbon fiber is a bit of a stretch.

I knew this fabled new supercar wasn't going to happen though, based on the sheer fact that the "telephone numbers investment" cost sunk into the i8, BMW would stubbornly say no to any other car near it, let alone better than it in the line up. It just simply wasn't going to happen. Maybe after the i8 is gone, but by that time the enviro-nazi's will have laws preventing anyone from bringing to market anything with less than 40mpg and a quad-turbo V8 without anything but heavy electrical boosting is a fantasy. So yes, what I'm pretty much saying is this is never going to happen. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. I would have liked to have seen this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
So that's that then. Hot version of the i8 or nothing.
And like the article said, it would require heavy reworking. Which I doubt BMW would do based on the halo-car argument Frank said earlier in the article. So, really, it's "i8 or nothing."

///Mike

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris

Last edited by ///Mikey F80; 09-23-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #131
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I believe bmw is at forefront of cf tech. They have dug in deep creating entire process. Know they have plant here in Washington doing a lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 12:56 AM   #132
chipotle_napkins
Demoted lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Porsche soon (: Sowy

BMW is so stubborn...

Just make a mid engined supercar already!