BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Coming back to an F90

10-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

After 14 months away from an m5, I have placed an order for a '21 Comp LCI.
I wasn't originally going to be back in an m5 so soon, had a rs6 Avant allocation ordered since early May with a deposit down. The SA and I had agreed on a price and two days before the car was due to freeze I am told they cannot honor that price. So I backed out of the deal to their joy because they had another guy who was willing to pay more. They couldn't give this allocation away in May cause of COVID but now that the asking is well over sticker, the dealers are taking advantage.
So I called around and the cars available weren't what I wanted so I called Dan at Next Level Auto Brokers and at the end of the day, got an allocation due to arrive before Christmas, got his advertised discount, and saved $600/month over an rs6.
I'm excited to be back but still a little disappointed not to have the rs6 after all the build up. My wife is happy because she dislikes Audi so I guess that's a plus.
Will post pics in December when the comp arrives but overall happy to be back.
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
I wasn't originally going to be back in an m5 so soon, had a rs6 Avant allocation ordered since early May with a deposit down. The SA and I had agreed on a price and two days before the car was due to freeze I am told they cannot honor that price. So I backed out of the deal to their joy because they had another guy who was willing to pay more. They couldn't give this allocation away in May cause of COVID but now that the asking is well over sticker, the dealers are taking advantage.
So I called around and the cars available weren't what I wanted so I called Dan at Next Level Auto Brokers and at the end of the day, got an allocation due to arrive before Christmas, got his advertised discount, and saved $600/month over an rs6.
I'm excited to be back but still a little disappointed not to have the rs6 after all the build up. My wife is happy because she dislikes Audi so I guess that's a plus.
Good happy wife, happy man!

Not to mention that your M5 is significantly faster than the RS6
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Njbmw17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M5C

Quote:

Welcome back! What color did you spec ?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njbmw17 View Post
Quote:

Welcome back! What color did you spec ?
Brand hatch / black interior / dark carbon
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

Disgusting behaviour from the dealer, I guess a gentlemens agreement means fuck all these days!
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyA View Post
Disgusting behaviour from the dealer, I guess a gentlemens agreement means fuck all these days!
I guess not. The worst part in my mind is they waited til two days before my build was to freeze. So it left me with the choice of eating the markup or bailing.
The SA was all too happy when I said I was out.
Now I am trying to get my deposit back which will take weeks I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
I guess not. The worst part in my mind is they waited til two days before my build was to freeze. So it left me with the choice of eating the markup or bailing.
Damn, what a garbage dealer to treat a potential customer who left a deposit like that. I'd be really pissed, and probably leave a few negative words on their reviews, especially if they will be giving you a hard time with your deposit.

But congrats on M5
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

What happened to your original M5 in 2018?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #9
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
What happened to your original M5 in 2018?
Traded it in for a Panamera GTS
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Turns out the Audi dealer took my allocation and sold it to someone for 10k over MSRP.
No wonder they were all to happy to have me drop my build.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Damn, what a garbage dealer to treat a potential customer who left a deposit like that. I'd be really pissed, and probably leave a few negative words on their reviews, especially if they will be giving you a hard time with your deposit.

But congrats on M5
I'm tempted to but not sure where it would do the most "damage". Dealer rater?
They are a smallish Audi dealer that used to be part of a small local chain of dealers but they got bought by a huge dealer out in Oregon. They are the only Audi dealer within 15-20 miles and there are a number of affluent towns nearby so I'm not sure my negative reviews would do much due to the lack of competition in the area. Convenience is still a major factor to most customers.
I actually asked if I could take my allocation to another dealer since it was my build but was told that wasn't possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #12
pcai
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
F90 M5  [0.00]
Imagine paying over sticker for a RS6 when you can get an M5 (in your case for cheaper) or E63. I just don't understand where Audi is going when their car is noticeably slower than bmw and merc equivalent, doesn't sound as good, and still expecting ppl to pay that much money. Maybe the wagon form factor appeals to some ppl but not to me that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #13
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Who are these people paying $10K over msrp?
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #14
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
On an M5 or E63? Idiots if anyone's even charging that much.

On an RS6 Avant, plenty of people. While I would never pay over sticker personally, it being the biggest baddest hot "hatch" (wagon) plus first time in a long while it's been offered in the states, I've read about plenty of people dropping absurds amount over MSRP to get their hands on one
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #15
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Head over to audizine forum - one member got one of the first cars in the US and after a week of ownership, put it on eBay. The bidding was up over 25k over sticker as of last week. Not sure what he ended up selling it for.
So many dealers are asking for 10-50k over list.
To be fair, when the new m3 and m4 start arriving, those will likely go over sticker as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #16
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

Quote:
Turns out the Audi dealer took my allocation and sold it to someone for 10k over MSRP.
$10k over MSRP vs. Happy, repeat client? Math doesn’t add up to me...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno 27 View Post
Quote:
$10k over MSRP vs. Happy, repeat client? Math doesn't add up to me...
My thoughts exactly. I was referred to this dealer/SA by a friend who has bought countless Audi's from them over the last 20 years. I would never tell anyone how or where to spend their money but I made sure I told him of my experience.
I also live 15 min from the dealer so I would have serviced the car there as well - which I made abundantly clear.
I guess Audi doesn't have too many cars that would warrant a markup (rs6 and rsq8) so they're taking their shot? I really cannot understand the logic.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #18
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

Quote:
I think due to covid delaying builds etc - I paid more than market price for mine in the end, hurt the wallet but I do love the thing
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think due to covid delaying builds etc - I paid more than market price for mine in the end, hurt the wallet but I do love the thing
Surprising that the rs6 still demands pricing above market with how long the car has been available in the UK and Europe. The US I understand because it has never been here but it's not as much of a rare beast there.
I don't assume you mean you paid over window sticker, just not as good a deal as you would have if not for Covid?
I am not sure how long the rs6 will be available here, as everyone knows, SUV and SAVs are king and I just can't imagine past the initial excitement, the demand will be there for this car. It is a relatively small market for a super fast wagon. And there are plenty of super fast SUVs here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #20
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

He did you a huge favour. Now you have a way better car for $600 a month less
Appreciate 1
pcai377.00
      10-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #21
DrHeLpErZx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Surprising that the rs6 still demands pricing above market with how long the car has been available in the UK and Europe. The US I understand because it has never been here but it's not as much of a rare beast there.
I don't assume you mean you paid over window sticker, just not as good a deal as you would have if not for Covid?
I am not sure how long the rs6 will be available here, as everyone knows, SUV and SAVs are king and I just can't imagine past the initial excitement, the demand will be there for this car. It is a relatively small market for a super fast wagon. And there are plenty of super fast SUVs here in the US.
Oh yeah, plenty paying $10k+ over sticker. I'm a hold out, I'll never be driving an SUV. You just can't beat physics of a top heavy vehicle. No way around it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
Gassy
Soporificist
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon

If Biden is elected it's almost a sure thing that an increase in the luxury tax will be part of his tax package.