BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Two Piece Lightweight Steel Rotor set

11-02-2023, 01:08 PM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

BMW’s 2 piece have been staked for the past 25 years. Helps a little with heat and reduces weight a little but definitely not replaceable rings. I had Stoptech 6 piston fronts on my E90 M3 and replaced the rings once …. Lots of little bolts to torque perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 06:10 PM   #24
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
2 piece rotors have a lot of advantages. HOWEVER, the stock BMW ones are two piece as well (look closely. Just because YOU can't take them apart doesn't mean they aren't two piece). The carbons are just two damn expensive. If they cost what the steels cost, I'd use the carbons all the time. But $4000? per? vs. $400. No way. I just couldn't see that much of a difference. My GT-R I could see a little bit more.

HOWEVER, if this two piece rotor was from Brembo, or stoptech, or girodisc? In a heartbeat. I'd at least TRY it. Maybe end up going back to the BMW's.

Shawn
I reached out two girodisc twice. At one time they said they were discussing putting them out, then the next said they would need more interest to do it. I feel like I’m changing rotors as much as tires
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      11-02-2023, 06:21 PM   #25
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
I reached out two girodisc twice. At one time they said they were discussing putting them out, then the next said they would need more interest to do it. I feel like I’m changing rotors as much as tires
That’s funny…

A little over a year on these rotors. Ordering replacements probably over the weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #26
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That’s funny…

A little over a year on these rotors. Ordering replacements probably over the weekend.
Which pads are you running. When I was running stock pads the rotors lasted longer, but once I switched to the Carbotech the rotors are holding on for dear life
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #27
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
Which pads are you running. When I was running stock pads the rotors lasted longer, but once I switched to the Carbotech the rotors are holding on for dear life
Same here. These are Pagid RS-29's (I think that's the right nomenclature), which are lasting MUUUUCH longer than the stock pads, but judder on the track and are beating the rotors like a redheaded stepchild.

Which carbotech's are you on? I'm thinking about getting some.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #28
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Same here. These are Pagid RS-29's (I think that's the right nomenclature), which are lasting MUUUUCH longer than the stock pads, but judder on the track and are beating the rotors like a redheaded stepchild.

Which carbotech's are you on? I'm thinking about getting some.

Shawn
XP-12. All the way around. Have been performing great all season.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      12-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #29
GJCaesar
Rep
Drives: 2021 RSQ8,2024 X6 M lCI

I have an X6 m competition on order and i looking for ccb rotors.upgrade.Couldnt find any info anywhere for triton motorsport.They ask 8k for 4 replacement rotors which is very good deal.I use ccb for about 7 years and never spent a dime for brakes.
Hope you guys are satisfied with your order and i cant try them when you share some info.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:54 AM   #30
TritonMotorsports
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJCaesar View Post
I have an X6 m competition on order and i looking for ccb rotors.upgrade.Couldnt find any info anywhere for triton motorsport.They ask 8k for 4 replacement rotors which is very good deal.I use ccb for about 7 years and never spent a dime for brakes.
Hope you guys are satisfied with your order and i cant try them when you share some info.
Hello, we aren't sure where you are looking to find the "info" or what "info" you're referring to while also stating that we ask $8k for 4 replacement CCBs. We have our contact info listed on our website and our business listed on google as well for anyone who needs to check us out.
We have been supplying floating brake discs (steel, ccb, ccm), pads, BBKs, forged wheels and exhausts for about 2 years now. We take pride in testing and running our products on our own personal cars, so we put our money where our mouth is. We push the "safety first" agenda and there's no better way to demonstrate it than putting our own lives on the line.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:26 PM   #31
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Their 2 piece steel seem very reasonable considering the rings are replaceable at $2200 all around. Curious how much the replacement rings alone cost.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:50 AM   #32
TritonMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Their 2 piece steel seem very reasonable considering the rings are replaceable at $2200 all around. Curious how much the replacement rings alone cost.
Rings alone cost $1240 including shipping in the lower 48 for all 4 corners.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 07:40 AM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

What is the weight of a Triton front rotor (ring and hat assembled) and what is the weight of a rear?
Appreciate 1
PDOT133.00
      02-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #34
TritonMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
What is the weight of a Triton front rotor (ring and hat assembled) and what is the weight of a rear?
Our discs are right about 0.8 to 1lb lighter on ea disc. This might seem "blah" because 2-piece discs typically weight significantly less but the BMW OE discs are actually quasi 2 piece with an aluminum hat vs a lot of other car manufacturers who 2 piece discs use an iron hat. This is why our >/=390mm discs end up being over 4lbs lighter for other car manufacturers.
The bigger advantage, however, lies in how much play room there is on our discs vs the OE discs, and of course the ability to just swap out the rings instead of the whole disc for brake service.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:52 PM   #35
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Could be good for a track guy or big city driver who eats brakes. I am a mostly highway driver at 50k miles on original rotors and while I might change them as part of putting on new pads, they aren’t near their wear limit. No cost savings for me unless I drive a few hundred thousand miles, but I was intrigued in the possibility of significantly lighter rotors maybe being a poor man’s alternative to carbon fiber.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:54 AM   #36
TritonMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Could be good for a track guy or big city driver who eats brakes. I am a mostly highway driver at 50k miles on original rotors and while I might change them as part of putting on new pads, they aren’t near their wear limit. No cost savings for me unless I drive a few hundred thousand miles, but I was intrigued in the possibility of significantly lighter rotors maybe being a poor man’s alternative to carbon fiber.
Agreed. These are definitely for those who track their cars or are extremely aggressive - we have clients who go through brake discs in less than 30k miles so it makes sense for them to just swap the rings out. Like mentioned above, BMW uses aluminum hats which makes the OE discs quite light to begin with. The weight savings on other platforms really come from using an aluminum hat vs an iron/steel one.
We do have carbon ceramic matrix and carbon carbon composite discs as well that serve as a direct replacement for your steel discs with prices about half of OE. Still quite a bit of an expense but it's a one time and done job even for the aggressive drivers. Our inhouse cars with our CCBs have over 35k hard miles on them and the pads are not even worn by 2mm yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:20 PM   #37
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The one question I have is are they floating? I don’t see the space where they would expand?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #38
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Are you certain these rotors are less than the oem f90 rotors?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:24 AM   #39
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonMotorsports View Post
Our discs are right about 0.8 to 1lb lighter on ea disc. This might seem "blah" because 2-piece discs typically weight significantly less but the BMW OE discs are actually quasi 2 piece with an aluminum hat vs a lot of other car manufacturers who 2 piece discs use an iron hat. This is why our >/=390mm discs end up being over 4lbs lighter for other car manufacturers.
The bigger advantage, however, lies in how much play room there is on our discs vs the OE discs, and of course the ability to just swap out the rings instead of the whole disc for brake service.
Are you sure your rotors are lighter or even the same weight as stock?
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      Today, 06:45 AM   #40
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
Are you sure your rotors are lighter or even the same weight as stock?
They might not be. For those of us who track, WE WONT CARE. So long as they last longer and crack less.

But I see your point.

Shawn
Appreciate 0