BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW Head Up Screen retrofit (new accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)

Closed Thread

01-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #177
tubby116
Rep
Drives: X5 35i M Sport

that shit looks nasty...wtf...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #178
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Hi Artemis, Thanks for the comprehensive tread on this! I am wondering if you can help, I have the Bimmertech Smart View installed in my car, so able to mirror my i-phone to my i-drive it uses Wi-Fi, if the Head-Up screen is installed will it be possible for me to use the Garmin sat nav app from and mirror the map to my idrive on the basis the navigation uses WIFI/WLAN too?
With the Smart view I am able to mirror my i-phone while mounted on my media cradle, and mirror any app on via Airplay, the Smart view connect to my phone via WI-FI.

I hopping the mart view (Mirroring) option will give me the map on the idrive as well as the direction on the Head-Up display, this will of course be the perfect setup.
Thanks for all your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
"The Head-Up Screen can be used in almost all BMW vehicles".

Likely not inside the Isetta. Okay, seriously, we gotta find more info about this new gizmo.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #179
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Hi Artemis, Thanks for the comprehensive tread on this! I am wondering if you can help, I have the Bimmertech Smart View installed in my car, so able to mirror my i-phone to my i-drive it uses Wi-Fi, if the Head-Up screen is installed will it be possible for me to use the Garmin sat nav app from and mirror the map to my idrive on the basis the navigation uses WIFI/WLAN too?
With the Smart view I am able to mirror my i-phone while mounted on my media cradle, and mirror any app on via Airplay, the Smart view connect to my phone via WI-FI.
I hopping the mart view (Mirroring) option will give me the map on the idrive as well as the direction on the Head-Up display, this will of course be the perfect setup.
Sorry to say, but I don't know the answer.

Please note that I sold my 1M (including the Head-Up Screen) in the meantime.
      02-29-2016, 04:12 AM   #180
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

Although I fully sympathise with the desire to sync navigation details between Garmin HUD and OEM display, your phone will not be able to connect to both WiFi devices (Garmin HUD & Bimmertech Smart View) simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #181
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Although I fully sympathise with the desire to sync navigation details between Garmin HUD and OEM display, your phone will not be able to connect to both WiFi devices (Garmin HUD & Bimmertech Smart View) simultaneously.
This is not correct. I have the BimmerTech rear camera retrofit with SmartView. If you look at the picture below you'll see I have the Bimmerpost home page displayed on my nav screen. If you look even closer, I brought up the webpage connected to my home's WiFi network. The phone I'm using is a Galaxy S6. Sometimes the phone will warn that connecting to a WiFi network might interfere with the screen mirroring function. But so far it hasn't.

I haven't dug into the details as to how both can coexist being they both use WiFi for connectivity. One thing of note though, the SmartView system runs off of TCP/IP as its transport protocol. When you first fire up the system and switch to the SmartView display on your nav, on the right lower corner, you'll see the IP address SmartView is using. It's a 192.168.x.y address. I don't remember right now what value the x is. I'm not sure how the Garmin system works. But make sure it's not using the same IP address range.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #182
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks folks for your input, still not decided on Head Up Display but interesting to see how you managed 2 connections, when I get the chance I run a test similar to yours.

The one thing now not working with my SatNav App on my phone is no voice out when my phone is placed on the media adapter, so I get the full map showing on my i-drive with no voice, but I believe this is an issue between the SatNav App and the Media adapter in my centre console, and not the smart view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This is not correct. I have the BimmerTech rear camera retrofit with SmartView. If you look at the picture below you'll see I have the Bimmerpost home page displayed on my nav screen. If you look even closer, I brought up the webpage connected to my home's WiFi network. The phone I'm using is a Galaxy S6. Sometimes the phone will warn that connecting to a WiFi network might interfere with the screen mirroring function. But so far it hasn't.

I haven't dug into the details as to how both can coexist being they both use WiFi for connectivity. One thing of note though, the SmartView system runs off of TCP/IP as its transport protocol. When you first fire up the system and switch to the SmartView display on your nav, on the right lower corner, you'll see the IP address SmartView is using. It's a 192.168.x.y address. I don't remember right now what value the x is. I'm not sure how the Garmin system works. But make sure it's not using the same IP address range.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #183
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks folks for your input, still not decided on Head Up Display but interesting to see how you managed 2 connections, when I get the chance I run a test similar to yours.

The one thing now not working with my SatNav App on my phone is no voice out when my phone is placed on the media adapter, so I get the full map showing on my i-drive with no voice, but I believe this is an issue between the SatNav App and the Media adapter in my centre console, and not the smart view.
Do you have the audio out from the SmartView module connected to your aux in jack under the arm rest?

I opted to do it differently though. I decided to plug the SmartView cables (including audio) into the multimedia box for the rear camera retrofit. I then used the audio outs of the multimedia box to connect to the aux in under the arm rest. Doing it this way will allow me to utilize the other A/V inputs on the multimedia box to send their audio signal through the aux in of the car. And this is a stupid point but I'm putting it out there, make sure you switch your audio input under media to use the aux in.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #184
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:

Looked into the specs of the galaxy S6 and I do not see a double WiFi tranceiver, thus when you do look into the coexistence details of the Smart view and the additional home network (or BMW/Garmin HUD device) connection, I predict they'll prove prohibitive. If I'm misunderstanding anything: A similar NAV screen mirror picture while streaming content (say YouTube) from the home internet network through the phone would proof your point.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #185
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Looked into the specs of the galaxy S6 and I do not see a double WiFi tranceiver, thus when you do look into the coexistence details of the Smart view and the additional home network (or BMW/Garmin HUD device) connection, I predict they'll prove prohibitive. If I'm misunderstanding anything: A similar NAV screen mirror picture while streaming content (say YouTube) from the home internet network through the phone would proof your point.
Ok. I just went out to the garage and did one better than just streaming Youtube. I launched my Slingbox mobile app and took the picture below. It's streaming CBS through my WiFi network and with SmartView active. If you note the bit rate on the lower right corner, it's streaming at 1781Kbps.

Last edited by zx10guy; 03-06-2016 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 03:27 AM   #186
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I just went out to the garage and did one better than just streaming Youtube. I launched my Slingbox mobile app and took the picture below. It's streaming CBS through my WiFi network and with SmartView active. If you note the bit rate on the lower right corner, it's streaming at 1781Kbps.
THX for that!. I misunderstood the Samsung S6 WiFi direct feature (as single adhoc network). You (with Bimmerpost and Samsung) essentially have extended the BMW HUD app&device into a direction that many OEM NAV owners will appreciate!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #187
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
THX for that!. I misunderstood the Samsung S6 WiFi direct feature (as single adhoc network). You (with Bimmerpost and Samsung) essentially have extended the BMW HUD app&device into a direction that many OEM NAV owners will appreciate!
Believe me, I'm a bit confused about how this is even working myself. This was purely by accident. I found out about the ability to do both when I had finished installing the system and was testing it. Because I have an enterprise class wireless network in my home, I was able to get strong coverage in my garage and noticed I was still connected to one of my wireless networks while mirroring my screen.

Part of my is to consult and sell wireless network equipment so I do know a bit more than the average person. As I said before, I haven't had a chance to dig into why this is even possible. But I'm glad it's working as it gives me options. I have Sprint for phone service but I also have Verizon for mobile data via a MiFi hotspot. If I get into a performance coverage issue with Sprint, I just fire up my Verizon MiFi and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #188
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
so many better DIY HUD Smart phone apps like Torque Pro (In HUD MODE) or a' HUD AWESOME' OR goto amazon and get d 5" OBD....Use a clear thin piece of plastic to stop the double image from the laminated glass..
      03-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #189
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Hi guys,

I have video interface in my car and iPhone connected through it - although I can get screen clone on my F10 navigation it's not possible to output Garmin HUD screen due to app limitation. When you open Garmin HUD app while iPhone is connected to the 2nd screen you will get message that that option is disabled and that screen mirroring is not supported

Just try it on your TV or through Airplay so you will know what I am talking about… I tried like couple of months ago but I doubt they changed that if there was even any updated to the Garmin HUD app in the meantime.

So bottom line is: you can't get picture from Garmin HUD app at your BMW factory screen and directions on HUS. It would be neat but it doesn't work...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #190
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
One thing I didn`t get it, how does a E92 read speed limit? I haven`t heard the car had been integrated with any camera that can validate this function.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #191
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
$30 Amazon 3" ACTUAL HUD....Paying over $400 for THAT? Seriously?

OK so the cheap Amazon HUDs don't display NAV, (I thought that was what that 7" screen AND VOICE INSTRUCTION was for... )

For Us, meaning gear heads, I want to know my Temps, by Alt is working prop, and most importantly the Speed and RPM.

Especially in a BMW, where its hard to accurately access speed w/o looking. Even this $30 unit has "speed correction" to display true speed not the optimistic 8% + BMW Speedo...Warning Flashes and/or noises at user defined RPM, or High Temp Warnings. And the icing on the cake is it matches the gauges.

Heres a vid of me beating my "friends" rental car w/ this unit....Its visible during the day and looks much better in person...

Please stop with this BMW retrofit BS HUD, its insane. LOL
      05-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #192
pulvermos2
Registered
Rep
Drives: f31

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has had problems when you update the hud?
I had one that I update and then got the screen completely black and did not do anything more with it.
got a new one on the guarantee and would update it and it was the same?
Anyone know anything?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #193
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Having just driven a hire car with factory-fitted HUD, I want this in my BMW. From the web searching I have done, I have come to the opinion that no current after-market arrangement would meet my needs. Why ? well I already have a GPS near my eye-line on the dash which displays speed but I found that the benefits of having the HUD image focussed at the same distance as the road was what made the whole thing worth having, because anything less and your attention is diverted while you re-focus to read the "HUD" display. I post this because not enough is made of the need to deal with the issue of focus in any retro-fit "HUD" and I wouldn't want people to discover this only after shelling out a large sum for a supposedly "OEM" solution that differs from the factory fit HUD in this crucial regard.

Edit - OK, this after-market model appears to do the job as far as focus is concerned: http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/spx-hud01
"No need to refocus
Using a DLP projector for high contrast and deep colour saturation, the NavGate HUD projects navigation instructions on what looks like a 30-inch display, sitting about 3 metres in front of you, reducing re-focus times to almost nothing."

Last edited by poiuytre111; 09-13-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:31 AM   #194
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Judging by the link, this product is already archived! Looking at the size I am not surprised it is no longer available, it makes the BMW head up display accessory look like a factory-fitted option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
Having just driven a hire car with factory-fitted HUD, I want this in my BMW. From the web searching I have done, I have come to the opinion that no current after-market arrangement would meet my needs. Why ? well I already have a GPS near my eye-line on the dash which displays speed but I found that the benefits of having the HUD image focussed at the same distance as the road was what made the whole thing worth having, because anything less and your attention is diverted while you re-focus to read the "HUD" display. I post this because not enough is made of the need to deal with the issue of focus in any retro-fit "HUD" and I wouldn't want people to discover this only after shelling out a large sum for a supposedly "OEM" solution that differs from the factory fit HUD in this crucial regard.

Edit - OK, this after-market model appears to do the job as far as focus is concerned: http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/spx-hud01
"No need to refocus
Using a DLP projector for high contrast and deep colour saturation, the NavGate HUD projects navigation instructions on what looks like a 30-inch display, sitting about 3 metres in front of you, reducing re-focus times to almost nothing."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #195
bimmer_yu
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d + BMW E89 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius16 View Post
Does somebody have pictures from the screen in a F10 ?
Especially how it looks from the outside through the windscreen and from indside the cable
I posted F10 pics in this exact thread...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=98

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=160
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #196
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Hello! I have the retrofitted Integrated Navigation (see video below) and the HUS installed. The dealer promised that the HUS will work/communicate with the integrated navigation I have, however till this day it does not. I've tried updating the firmware using the HUS app but that only resulted in the HUS getting bricked... Luckily the dealer replaced the unit free of charge, but about the Navigation/HUS connection they seem to not know anything about it... To be honest I also had the strong impression that it will work seeing on etk being listed as "INTEGRATED NAVIGATION W/ HEAD-UP SCREEN": http://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search/...ECE/03/03_2283

I'm still waiting on an answer from BMW on their behalf, but I'd like to know if you know about this?

EDIT: So appearently the Head Up Screen that works with my integrated navigation comes with a different part number, as shown from the above link. The one the BMW dealer installed was the standalone version. I've consulted my BMW dealer and they're going to order the HUS unit with the part number I was given and replace it again.. I hope it will work finally after the replacement.

Last edited by Frankly30; 01-17-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #197
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MCoupe,3.0Si R,E61 535xiT

No E60? If it works in the E90 then the E60 should be same basic harness and configuration.
      04-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #198
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Old thread bump. So I had my dealer install the feds up screen into our 2014 X1. It works but intermittently. Here is the odd part the altitude always shows up. It always connects with my phone and all nav works. But what is intermittent is the speed, power, and torque (plus the cruise control when on).

I went back to the dealer thinking a loose wire but the tech's comment was that the data is in serial with the CAN so if a loose wire I would be seeing warning lights going off because other data would not be getting through. Part of me believes that but given it is intermittent I am back to a bad connection.

I am going to pull things apart and take a look myself but in the mean time the dealer is going to try and get another unit as the tech says it is the CAN or the display itself.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread