BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Notes and details from seeing F90 M5 live at BMW M Discovery Room event in Belgium

05-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #23
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude View Post
Is the steering wheel the same as on the current M cars?
Like on other recent M models, the M steering wheel is basically the M Sport wheel from the standard model (5 Series here) but with the bottom trim part hollowed out and 3 color M stitching. Plus as reported and as seen on the prototype test vehicles, M1 and M2 buttons mounted on top of the steering wheel hub.
Appreciate 1
Mbbrewer150.00
      05-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #24
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
  • the top view picture you posted: yes, that's what I also saw from the upper floor when looking down on the "discovery room"; if BMW would have hung a second veil right above or under the black ceiling veil, almost nothing could have been seen from upstairs;
  • the head light picture you posted: BMW instructed to refrain from taking photographs inside the "discovery room"; I respected that, so my smartphone stayed inside its pouch offered by BMW - just used my own senses.
Both were found in different peoples IG stories. I do understand your comment about not taking any pictures with all respect to BMW, they organised an exceptional event and invitees should honor the simple requests. On the other hand, I do not resent these persons, as it's very welcome for all those who didn't have the privilege of this early and exclusive preview. I think they all were very excited and wanted to share the same joy with everyone, no?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #25
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
[*]tiny discreet mud flaps (grey/black plastic) mounted on the top part of the rear wheel wells
Wow, BMW is really taking this 4WD thing seriously!

But seriously, I have no idea why a car that is too large for my needs and not available with a manual transmission is making me excited...but it kinda is...

Thanks for the post - seems like a fantastic event!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Browsed around to check for more accurate renders to help you imagine the F90 M5. Stumbled across a website mentioning in an article "A source inside BMW has leaked to me CAD files of the new G30 BMW M5, specifically the front and rear bumpers." (source: here).

Gotta say that those CAD renders have indeed a pretty striking similarity to what I recall having witnessed yesterday inside the F90 M5 "discovery room" (lights, vertical reflectors, diffuser, etc.).

Name:  CAD_Image_01.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  192.7 KB

Name:  CAD_Image_02.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  167.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Can you clarify whether these are identical to the lights available on the G30? I ask because M-specific lights would be a new feature and one that I would not expect given the limited value they would provide vs. just borrowing the series part. Yes, the M4 GTS (and soon the M4 CS) feature unique OLED lights, but these are limited models, and the unique lights are something of a special case. M Division offering M specific lights - especially both front and rear - for all M5 would be a very unexpected move.
No OLED lights spotted. Front lights mentioned "BMW Adaptive LED" in the corner. Rear lights looked to be those of the G30 5er. With "swing design" I referred to the difference with the F10 M5 rear lights (rear lights of the G30 5er and F90 M5 feature a 'golf club'-ish shaped main rear light tube).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbc View Post
Any chance at describing the Marina Bay Blue color as it relates to other BMW blues?
Marina Bay Blue looks like the result of mixing Monte Carlo Blue with San Marino Blue (M4 CS launch color) or even Le Mans Blue. Thus a slightly darker shade than Enzian Blue or Monte Carlo Blue but still a slightly lighter shade than San Marino Blue or Tanzanite Blue. A blue blue (I mean, no purple hue - no electric blue hue). Personally, I liked the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Interesting to hear your description of the rear bumper with the vertical reflectors and the design of the side grilles.
I will ask in your estimation how close was the actual car to the leaked CAD images from a little while ago?
Spot on ! See the CAD renders pictured above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Pretty sure they teased it in the G30 press release photos.
Actually not. The side gills are a giveaway. On the factory picture you posted you notice a cavity/hole for the air breather near the front wheel well = G30 5er = no F90 M5. F90 M5 side-gills have a style and position that reminds to those sporting the M3/M4, thus different shape and higher positioned than the air breathers of the G30. Wrongly positioned in some F90 M5 renders (same goes for rear bumper reflectors: horizontal on G30 5er and in some renders, but vertical on F90 M5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This is probably Marina Bay, but it is impossible to know for sure. Also, this could be pre-clear coat, or even missing other base coats, potentially, if it is a multi-layer paint (which I admittedly have no idea one way or the other).
As commented above, Marina Bay Blue looks like the result of mixing Monte Carlo Blue with San Marino Blue. Darker shade of blue. But as you say, the color featuring in the factory picture could be pre-clear coat. Anyways, if that's already the final color, then it's definitely not Marina Bay Blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
As expected, new M1 and M2 buttons at thumbs reach mounted separately from the usual steering wheel button clusters. And there seems to be some red on them, might it be that they are actually red but camouflaged into black on the test car? In which case the engine start button might also be red (hence why it is covered?), but maybe that would be too extreme for a super saloon
Both M1/M2 settings buttons + start/stop button are red/bordeaux. You can see a glimpse of the M2 settings button in the video where Timo Glock drives the F90 M5 (see here): those buttons were partially taped off with black tape. Indeed surprising (as well as the diffuser design and black kidneys).

Name:  TGlock_M5.png
Views: 1574
Size:  395.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
441 power = ? kw? if so that means 590-591 hp
As indicated in the first post: 441 kW = 599.6 hp (metric hp) or 591.4 hp (mech hp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude View Post
Is the steering wheel the same as on the current M cars?
Quote:
Like on other recent M models, the M steering wheel is basically the M Sport wheel from the standard model (5 Series here) but with the bottom trim part hollowed out and 3 color M stitching. Plus as reported and as seen on the prototype test vehicles, M1 and M2 buttons mounted on top of the steering wheel hub.
Forum fellow advantage20 is correct. Full leather, no alcantara parts. Felt chunky/meaty, the way modern day M steering wheels do. You can see it in recently released F90 M5 videos (see here, here and here).
      05-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Yes Artemis, I had surmised that the M1, M2 and Start buttons might be red based precisely on that Timo Glock test drive interior footage Glad to get confirmation, these subtle touches should add some more sporty feeling to the interior compared to the E63 and RS6.

Black kidneys, you mean all black including the usually chrome surround? That would be surprising given that BMW usually keeps those chromed on all models (making the iconic kidney grille outline stand out even on a dark paint background) and only changes the kidney interior from chrome to black and from single slats to double slats according to the trim / version. I really hope all black is just an M Performance option, or maybe it goes bundled with the window trim selection (chrome or black), but I would doubt that because again it would take away from the grille identity and BMW has always kept at least the outline chromed on the standard M models.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #28
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Thanks for the specs. I'm not in the market (MB makes one of these with a D pillar, so they're getting my deposit), but I'd be down for a wagon version!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #29
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Black kidneys, you mean all black including the usually chrome surround?"
Yes, both kidneys were all black on the displayed vehicle: surround and slats. No chrome. I hadn't expected it either. Also in all F90 M5 videos released by BMW the grille surround is covered with camouflage tape.
      05-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #30
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Hi. when you looked at the underside, was it completely faired-in with panels to create a flat bottom in order to create maximum downforce like in the Giulia QV or Ferraris, or was it a normal bottom?
      05-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #31
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Hi. Was the side vent like my render? I've done this render a while ago so based on your description it is smaller?

Name:  F91 M5 Touring RenderS.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  828.6 KB
      05-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #32
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

I think in the real car the front center air intake will be a bit different from the CAD. It will curve down around the bottom intake slats and have in its center the radar for the adaptative cruise control as seen here on the latest prototype. Also the junction points between the front air intake and side intakes have been better blended and don't look as "sharp" as on the CAD...

Name:  BMW-M5-4.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  652.9 KB
      05-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #33
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Thanks for the specs. I'm not in the market (MB makes one of these with a D pillar, so they're getting my deposit), but I'd be down for a wagon version!

If only they'd make an M5 Touring like my render... It would be the best M5 to carry families quickly!
      05-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #34
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

If only they'd make an M5 Touring like my render... It would be the best M5 to carry families quickly!
I would be all over it. I'm not thrilled about having to jump ship to MB, but at least we'll still have our tuned F31!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #35
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Hi. when you looked at the underside, was it completely faired-in with panels to create a flat bottom in order to create maximum downforce like in the Giulia QV or Ferraris, or was it a normal bottom?
Only had a quick peek underneath (with security closely looking what the heck I was doing) and managed to locate the Limited Slip Differential despite the darkness underneath. Looked like a 'normal bottom' - no Ferrari aerodynamics underside. The one-piece sports seats: fair enough, but the CFRP double-bubble roof and rear three-fin diffusor (though no CFRP) was a surprise - to my eyes even a bit overkill for an M5. But I guess BMW may reply with the "form follows function" answer + refer to the massive power and torque figures.

Name:  Ferrari_Enzo_Underside.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  116.6 KB
Quote:
Hi. Was the side vent like my render? I've done this render a while ago so based on your description it is smaller?
Actually, it was rather compact - not chunky or long. Certainly not the air breathers or side gills design of the F10 M5, G30 5er, X5M, X6M, M2 or M6. It rather reminded me of the compact M3/M4 design. But there's a catch: my mind keeps playing tricks as I got a vague recollection - which may be totally wrong - that the horizontal stripe briefly crosses (pinches through) the diagonal stripe. Thus rather an X-shape than a V-shape or T- shape. As if the design team decided to mix the side gill designs of both the M3/M4 and the 1M: start with the M3/M4 side gill, but use the horizontal stripe of the 1M side gill to get an X-shape as final result (but keep the compact diagonal line of the M3/M4 side gills). Trivia: the 1M front fender areas suggesting side vents were originally intended to feature real functional vents; however BMW M couldn't get the fender sheet stamping molds accurate enough within the allotted time/budget; particularly the two fenders sides exactly mirroring each other in shape proved too hard to achieve with functional vents; hence, the 1M got a crease line, but no functional vents.

Quote:
I think in the real car the front center air intake will be a bit different from the CAD. It will curve down around the bottom intake slats and have in its center the radar for the adaptative cruise control as seen here on the latest prototype. Also the junction points between the front air intake and side intakes have been better blended and don't look as "sharp" as on the CAD...
Not sure what you mean exactly - maybe a side-by-side with arrows to explain ? The CAD renders show some depth/perspective, which could visually distort some angles. As commented before: striking similarity. I did notice the semi-circular safety device integrated inside the center intake honeycomb protection as well as a sensor between the kidneys. I did not look inside the low horizontal part sitting on the bottom of the center intake.

If we had been allowed to use our smartphones, we could have used the flash lamp to spot more details. Amazing how many details you can overlook or forget (for example, I don't know whether the seat belts are all-black or featured the M stripes (latest M design cue) - I guess all black). And there is also the excitement: where to look first.

Quote:
my render
Added two small details to the first post:
  • exhaust tips with a vertical cut à la 1M/M2/M6 - no diagonal cut à la M3/M4/X5M/X6M
  • typical discreet M Gurney flap on the trunk
The rear in the render shown below gets you a good idea of the vertical reflectors and diffusor (though I think that its three fins looked just a little bit more pronounced on the real car):

Last edited by Artemis; 05-25-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #36
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:

Attachment 1628447
F90 M5 revealed in Need for Speed game promos http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1390556

The side gill looks a bit smaller from the need for speed image in the link above...

Please post updated sedan renderings front and rear, they are very the closest I've seen yet.
Appreciate 0