BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    NEW RELEASE: Dinan F90 M5 Cold Air Intake & Turbo Inlet Pipes

08-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #287
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
Has anyone installed these with Eventuri intakes?

My shop is trying to do it now and says they do not fit.
thats because they dont fit. they're completely different design. the inlets only work with OEM airbox's or the DINAN airbox.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
DGM M5C176.00
      08-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #288
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG M5C View Post
Not sure I understand the question, but if I do, you can't have both the Dinan and Eventuri intakes. I believe it's one or the other from what I've seen on this forum.
Dinan Inlets. Eventuri intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #289
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
Dinan Inlets. Eventuri intake.
Won't work
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 10:39 PM   #290
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Just installed the inlets and the engine's response is crisper now. Wife approves and noticed this too.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 12:49 AM   #291
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
Won't work
Take a look at this thread.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post29298886

As you can see, if you are willing to butcher a $2k+ eventuri intake with a hacksaw+fine tooth blade in half, they can certainly work fine together, 🤣.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #292
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Attachment 2684419

Dinan F90 M5 Cold Air Intake & Turbo Inlet Pipes

Part Number: D760-0049 & D760-0053

Applications:
  • 2018-2021 F90 M5
  • 2018-2021 F90 M5 Competition
  • 2020-2021 F91/F92/F93 M8 (Inlets Only)
  • 2020-2021 F91/F92/F93 M8 Competition (Inlets Only)

Product Page(s) / Pricing:
Cold Air Intake: dinan.info/F90-M5-CAI
Turbo Inlets: dinan.info/F90-M5-TIP

Release Date: [COLOR="Red"]Available Now![/COLOR]

Description (Cold Air Intake): The M5 is the flagship of the marque and as such deserves to showcase the best possible components. The Dinan Carbon Fiber Cold Air intake for the latest generation of M5 holds true to that philosophy and offers arguably the best performing and most efficient sealed intake solution on the market. Quite possibly the most visually impressive as well.

The first thing noticed upon gazing upon the engine bay equipped with the Dinan intake is the sheer amount of gloss UV coated 2x2 carbon fiber. Stretching from one end of the engine compartment to the other, courtesy of a fully functional secondary air inlet wishbone, the material is not only beautiful to look at but serves the purpose of heat deflection as well. The wishbone, which mimics the equally impressive calling card of the F8x M3/M4 engine compartment, is purposeful in a different way. Instead of adding structural integrity, the wishbone serves as the conduit for a secondary air source deriving its contents from a central hood scoop located behind the front grilles. The additional air flow supplements the factory inlet locations on both the left and right air boxes with ambient air from outside of the engine compartment. These air boxes have been enlarged and equipped with massive filters to handle this increased volume and together with the rest of the system allow the intake to flow as efficiently as possible.

While the stock intake system is adequately suited to support up to stage 1 power levels that does not mean there is no performance benefit when upgrading to the Dinan system. Besides its amazing appearance the biggest advantage of the system, by virtue of additional and optimized flow, is the reduction of the pressure depression in the stock system. This equates to the turbo having to work less in order to achieve targeted power. With the turbo working more efficiently this also means a lower pre-turbine backpressure, lower turbocharger shaft speeds, lower turbocharger compressor discharge temperatures, and for the ability to achieve higher boost pressure levels. Coupled with the optional Dinan Turbo Inlets these effects are even more exacerbated and represent ideal optimum flow and efficiency. Paired with the natural improvement to throttle response, a minor bump to the acoustics, and a visual appeal that will leave anyone speechless the Dinan F90 M5 carbon fiber intake system is a perfect complement to the "best."

Features/Benefits (Cold Air Intake):
  • Increased turbo efficiency, reliability, and head room.
  • More Flow: 11% greater than stock (Stock: 575 CFM, Dinan: 637 CFM @ 28" H2O per bank).
  • Improved throttle response.
  • Center wishbone inlet/scoop incorporated as an additional secondary air source for maximum airflow.
  • Larger volume air boxes (31% larger than stock) that completely seals allowing an increased volume of air to be utilized.
  • 35% increase in filter area (stock: 56.5in², Dinan: 80in² per side) for optimum flow.
  • Bolt-on installation.

Attachment 2684420
Attachment 2684421
Attachment 2684422
Attachment 2684423

Description (Turbo Inlet Pipes): The Dinan Turbo Inlets are an easy-to-install bolt-on upgrade that eliminates the largest obstacle in the entire factory intake system, the turbocharger inlets themselves. They are an upgrade that is both cost effective and an important stepping stone in the modification journey to unlocking maximum power out of the luxury sedan.

From the factory, the plastic inlets are limited and allow very little volume to pass as they neck down dramatically to the turbochargers themselves. This reduction stifles flow and increases the pressure ratio pre-turbine causing the turbochargers to work harder than necessary. This is a problem Dinan engineers took great care in rectifying through exhaustive prototyping and testing to ensure maximum future power potential while also having compatibility with numerous potential configurations. The benefit of their hard work are Dinan Turbo Inlets that are constructed of gloss UV coated 2x2 carbon fiber and are designed to mate seamlessly with whatever level of modification to the intake system you anticipate (paired with either stock air boxes or the full Dinan Cold Air Intake System). Where the carbon fiber ends an aluminum adapter to connect to the stock turbocharger begins. Using the same factory locking system, installation in this area is straightforward and earmarked by a "click" when secure. The simplicity making this quite possibly the quickest and least aggravating installs on the platform you will encounter. The pipe itself has been created to offer the largest possible cross-sectional area all the way from the intake filter to the turbo, a staggering 200% increase in volume over stock. This is the key to maximum performance gains from the system and the reason for the organic and unorthodox shape of the Dinan inlet system. While the effects of the additional volume are pronounced on a vehicle equipped with the factory airboxes and results in average gains of +11 WHP / +13 WTQ from 2000 RPM to redline, the overall efficiency of the entire intake system is maximized when paired with the Dinan Cold Air Intake that is also delivering an increased volume of cooler air earlier in the intake tract.

Robust testing with a fully instrumented engine further illustrated the multitude of benefits the Dinan Turbo Inlets offer beyond the confines of the dyno room and flow bench. Simply put, the F90 M5 / F9x M8 Dinan Turbo Inlets assist in allowing the turbocharger to operate at a lower pressure ratio, which means it will operate more efficiently. This directly translates to lower pre-turbine backpressure, lower turbocharger shaft speeds, lower turbocharger compressor discharge temperatures, and for the ability to achieve higher boost pressure levels.

Features/Benefits (Turbo Inlet Pipes):
  • More Power: Max gains of 22 WHP and 18 lb-ft of torque @ 6500 RPM on an otherwise stock vehicle. Average gains of 11 WHP and 13 WTQ from 2000 RPM to redline.
  • Outflows the factory inlets.
  • Larger internal diameter throughout (maximum cross-sectional area allowed).
  • More volume (~200% more than stock; 105 cubic inches vs. 35 cubic inches per side).
  • Carbon fiber construction for heat insulation and visual appeal.
  • Quick and easy bolt-on installation.

Attachment 2684424
Attachment 2684425
Attachment 2684426
Attachment 2684427
Amazing write up
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #293
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

And they are very good looking and fit the car well. They are on my list for when I have $2000 to blow.
Appreciate 1
BMA89223.50
      10-06-2022, 07:17 AM   #294
FLF90
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
And they are very good looking and fit the car well. They are on my list for when I have $2000 to blow.
Not "blow"... "invest". 😁
Appreciate 2
      10-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #295
BMA89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLF90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Not "blow"... "invest". 😁
"Invested" and don't regret it one bit 😂 stunning setup in person
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
somer966.00
FLF9019.50
soopa113.00
      11-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #296
johnsonwmk
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 50i and F90 M5

Garage List
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [9.75]
I installed this set up in June (Inlet pipes and breather). Last week after about 4,000 miles, I got a CEL. Took the car to the dealership and they said the code was Crankcase Ventilation Leakage. They performed a "smoke test" and said that the leakage was around where the inlet tubes connect to the turbos on both sides. Having installed these my self they are not an airtight fit I assume by design since they fit just like the OEM. I'm just wondering if the dealership is correct or something else is going on. Their diagnosis doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else had this issue?
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #297
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonwmk View Post
I installed this set up in June (Inlet pipes and breather). Last week after about 4,000 miles, I got a CEL. Took the car to the dealership and they said the code was Crankcase Ventilation Leakage. They performed a "smoke test" and said that the leakage was around where the inlet tubes connect to the turbos on both sides. Having installed these my self they are not an airtight fit I assume by design since they fit just like the OEM. I'm just wondering if the dealership is correct or something else is going on. Their diagnosis doesn't sound right to me. Anyone else had this issue?
Contact the support folks at 1-800-341-5480 or at support@dinancars.com and they can assist but the code would indicate something going on at either the inlet connection to the turbo (O-ring in backwards is the most common but you would have likely gotten a CEL right away in that case) or in the barb element (flap failure). Whatever it may be they can assist is detemining the cause and a corrective course of action.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 08:09 PM   #298
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Quote:
I had this exact same issue! Almost identical to u, i feel like in the next couple months there are going to be alot of ppl with the same problem, they performed a smoke test on mines also and both my inlets had small leaks thats cause the same cel and code, i went back to factory set up, it was leaking right where the inlets connect to the turbos in that area
      11-22-2022, 08:22 AM   #299
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Maybe the current batch fixed any problems with the last batch? If mine come Friday as scheduled, I will install this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 09:19 AM   #300
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljeffrey13 View Post
I had this exact same issue! Almost identical to u, i feel like in the next couple months there are going to be alot of ppl with the same problem, they performed a smoke test on mines also and both my inlets had small leaks thats cause the same cel and code, i went back to factory set up, it was leaking right where the inlets connect to the turbos in that area
I am canceling my order because of this
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      11-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #301
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

I love the look of these things, but I rarely if ever change things from OEM anymore because of all the trouble I've had in my life.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 05:12 PM   #302
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

My inlets arrived. Will install Thursday or Friday. Not expecting any problems but curious since a few people say they have problems.

I inspected one of the inlets. When I shine a bright light in a dark room inside the turbo end plastic flange, I can see light coming through where the carbon fiber tubing meets the plastic flange. I may add a bead of epoxy around that seam on the outside. Will have to look at the carbon fiber tube seam to the smaller plastic fitting as well.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 11-23-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      11-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #303
Jazz_V
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Finally I had the Dinan Cold air intake and the turbo inlet pipes installed this past weekend. I don't notice anything different on my drive home but I will take it for a longer drive and see if I can hear or feel a difference. But it does look much better with the Dinan parts. Posting the pre and post pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
josec704074.00
      11-28-2022, 07:49 AM   #304
Mccarlin
Rep
Drives: 2019 Nardo BMW M5 Comp

I received my Dinan inlets last week and installed them days ago. So far about 100 miles and no CEL or anything.
I will say the connection of the inlets to the turbos (where people have had issues) does seem to be "lose" and the inlet does have wiggle room and doesnt seem to be tight as the stock pipes. I thought i was doing something wrong and installed them and removed them a few times, but its just how it was designed it seems. Hoping i dont get any issues with this but i definitely think with the lose connection there will be air leakage.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 06:57 AM   #305
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Installed mine yesterday. As usual the second one went a lot faster than first as I learned some things! You really don’t need to remove the air filter box, at least I didn’t on passenger side which I did second. I also didn’t disconnect the tank vent line on passenger either. That clip on the OEM inlet was a bitch. Use a flathead to lift up then slide needle nose pliers in to pull up. Make sure you get both sides of it pulled out of the grooves or the inlet will not come out. Don’t worry about bending it or pulling it off altogether as it’s easy to shape back into place to reuse. Use needle nose pliers to pull out gasket not flathead. Use the instructions linked earlier in this,post on iPad instead of printed as easier to see individual parts.

It definitely fits loose and has some play in it compared to stock which is really tight. No CEL yet though and like anything else I do including cleaning the car, it seems to increase performance some particularly throttle and the turbo spool. But of course I wanted it to, so there’s that placebo element at play likely to some degree as well. Still I think it did help with the aforementioned some!

Last edited by NCRob; 01-17-2023 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #306
johnsonwmk
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 50i and F90 M5

Garage List
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [9.75]
Quote:
So I disassembled the system and the aluminum mounting coupler on the end of the carbon fiber tube had come loose. It looked like an adhesive failure. At any rate Dinan shipped me new tubes and after I swapped them out, no more issues. Dinan was very responsive and helpful. Thank you.
Appreciate 0