BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M5C broke down after installing Racechip GTS Black tune

04-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #67
rdbmwpst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

It’s impossible to install incorrectly

And the car worked for at least 100 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
sounds pretty obvious it was installed incorrectly
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #68
Bmwusabmw
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbmwpst View Post
I did hear some of the dickfor connections would lose signal on some

Last edited by Bmwusabmw; 04-14-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #69
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:

its ABSOLUTELY possible to install it incorrectly, like INTO the 02 sensors!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #70
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

can't wait for update when he gets new tune
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #71
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
can't wait for update when he gets new tune
if that happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #72
rdbmwpst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Update on replacement unit. thank you Ben!

Ben from RGSport was so supportive and helpful throughout this.
We had stayed in touch with Ben because we had needed some coding done on a couple cars. He had nothing to gain by helping us with the racechip that we bought from Racechip directly. He really went above and beyond will I ever would’ve expected

On April 20 fed ex dropped off the replacement Racechip unit. I reached Ben because he wanted to make sure we were installing it properly. Once everything was confirmed I took the car out for about 15 miles and it seem to work fine. Keep in mind this racechip unit was installed in exactly the same places as the previous Racechip unit.

Ben’s support and confidence in Racechip led me to install this new unit instead of giving up in selling it. We are also planning on buying one of these from Ben to try on our new X5M once the Racechip Becomes available.

RaceChip’s support only helped in replacing the unit but I still have no info about how often these fail or what the cause of failure is. My car had driven about 100 miles with the previous unit before it broke down.

Thanks Ben
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-20-2020, 05:35 PM   #73
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

I had a RC not work on my RS6 - they told me the unit was fine but loaded with the wrong map. Possible same here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #74
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
We had stayed in touch with Ben because we had needed some coding done on a couple cars. He had nothing to gain by helping us with the racechip that we bought from Racechip directly. He really went above and beyond will I ever would’ve expected

On April 20 fed ex dropped off the replacement Racechip unit. I reached Ben because he wanted to make sure we were installing it properly. Once everything was confirmed I took the car out for about 15 miles and it seem to work fine. Keep in mind this racechip unit was installed in exactly the same places as the previous Racechip unit.

Ben’s support and confidence in Racechip led me to install this new unit instead of giving up in selling it. We are also planning on buying one of these from Ben to try on our new X5M once the Racechip Becomes available.

RaceChip’s support only helped in replacing the unit but I still have no info about how often these fail or what the cause of failure is. My car had driven about 100 miles with the previous unit before it broke down.

Thanks Ben
Glad I can help.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #75
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

Thanks Ben

keep us posted. start beating on it to make sure it's working good
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #76
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well done ben
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      10-15-2023, 10:56 AM   #77
yadams01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

Do not buy racechip gts black for your bmw

Shortly after I purchase my 2017 BMW 330i, I had the RaceChip GTS Black installed. It really was +60hp but my car with 21,000 miles started acting strange.

Time to time when I started my car, it would die two or more times. The problem would go away for weeks & months and return. My car was in the shop several times trying to determine the problem. A sensor was replace at the cost of $650 and the problem continued. Drivetrain malfunction was the next problem where my car would have the alert and reduced power, 30-40mph. Again the problem was intermittent and would stop for a while. The problems continued with my car dying at a stop light, middle of traffic, stop sign...having to restart 3-4 times.

I had my car back in the shop, last month for a tuneup and more diagnostics on why my 2nd owner car, with extremely low miles, well taken care of is having these random alerts and mechanical problems.

I had the GTS Black disabled and for the past two months my car is back to normal. ZERO issues. When I reached out to RaceChip via email (you will NEVER get a hold of anyone on the phone) it was a S Show. Game after game played via email to delay the response, exchanging email after email with no resolution. This RaceChip employee Roman Haika would acknowledge an email and reply with crap like, I'll get back with you in a couple of days and didnt. How did you test the device to see if it was working properly, you can't Roman Haika on and on and on.

Please don't waste your money, your safety, damage to your vehicle by installing this garbage. I had to have it removed and lost $850, RaceChip refused to replace their defective product.

***DO NOT BUY RACECHIP PRODUCTS***

Last edited by yadams01; 10-15-2023 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: UPDATE
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #78
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadams01 View Post
Shortly after I purchase my 2017 BMW 330i, I had the RaceChip GTS Black installed. It really was +60hp but my car with 21,000 miles started acting strange.

Time to time when I started my car, it would die two or more times. The problem would go away for weeks & months and return. My car was in the shop several times trying to determine the problem. A sensor was replace at the cost of $650 and the problem continued. Drivetrain malfunction was the next problem where my car would have the alert and reduced power, 30-40mph. Again the problem was intermittent and would stop for a while. The problems continued with my car dying at a stop light, middle of traffic, stop sign...having to restart 3-4 times.

I had my car back in the shop, last month for a tuneup and more diagnostics on why my 2nd owner car, with extremely low miles, well taken care of is having these random alerts and mechanical problems.

I had the GTS Black disabled and for the past two months my car is back to normal. ZERO issues. When I reached out to RaceChip via email (you will NEVER get a hold of anyone on the phone) it was a S Show. Game after game played via email to delay the response, exchanging email after email with no resolution. This RaceChip employee Roman Haika would acknowledge an email and reply with crap like, I'll get back with you in a couple of days and didnt. How did you test the device to see if it was working properly, you can't Roman Haika on and on and on.

Please don't waste your money, your safety, damage to your vehicle by installing this garbage. I had to have it [...]
Hmm, 1st post and start bashing on a product where people has been happy with?
Sounds fishy.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #79
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Especially a 330i owner posting in an M5 forum where no one has had any issues that I have read of yet.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      10-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #80
RS61
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I've run JB4s on 10+ M-cars for 7+ years and have one right now in my M8. It's installed right alongside a Racechip, i.e. they're both installed simultaneously and I can turn one off and the other on at will from my phone. The installation of both was easy.
Can you share the specifics of this setup. Do you have all 5 JB4 connectors plugged in, and then just two connectors for the RC, and what's the order in which you've plugged the two overlapping connectors in? I would like to try the RC but want to keep the JB4's logging ability.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 12:35 PM   #81
hunter8793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Quote:
car ran fine today with racechip bypassed
edit: shouldn't have replied to this old post.

Last edited by hunter8793; 11-17-2023 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: old
Appreciate 0