BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Bargain after Order placed

03-23-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 40i

Bargain after Order placed

Hi All,

I just realize that the signed purchase agreement I had with my dealership didn't even list a purchase price. I'm not so worried about them increase the price over MSRP. However, had anyone had any experience negotiating the price down after placing an order on a customized build? I'm located at Colorado. Might be too dumb to just go with my friend's referral even there is no discount...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #2
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

Lol no. Not in this market.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      03-24-2022, 12:31 AM   #3
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
I got a discount in November. I didn't negotiate for it - it was just their standard "deal" they gave all cars. That's gone now but they won't sell above MSRP. If you can buy at MSRP, just do it as that is a "deal" currently.
      03-24-2022, 08:01 AM   #4
Haywood187
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Yeah, I got MSRP on my order in January and thanked my lucky stars. If you get a discount you lucked out big time. I tried to work out a lower price and the dealer was blunt (great dude and great to work with so don't take the "blunt" word as he was a jerk) and said they wouldn't go lower, but at the same time no higher, than MSRP because they would have no issues at all getting MSRP on a new M340.

Retired - 2014 335i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #5
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Why in the world did you sign an agreement with no price on it? Understanding that, they have you by the balls and could charge you anything they want. Might want to get back with the dealer on this and get the price on paper.

As for the "signed" agreement, it doesn't mean crap on your end and feel free to back out if you need. Unless you signed something more than the "agreement" to commit. Ball is in your court to back out, ball is in theirs to name their price. Good luck.
      03-24-2022, 11:11 PM   #6
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Why in the world did you sign an agreement with no price on it? Understanding that, they have you by the balls and could charge you anything they want. Might want to get back with the dealer on this and get the price on paper.

As for the "signed" agreement, it doesn't mean crap on your end and feel free to back out if you need. Unless you signed something more than the "agreement" to commit. Ball is in your court to back out, ball is in theirs to name their price. Good luck.
Yeah I signed one with price then changed the option. So I just checked the updated options then signed it without the price. Had confirmation on it's MSRP though. Will walk out instantly if they charges anything over MSRP.

On the other hand however, they give my tradein 4k over Vroom/KBB price which makes very happy about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDDD0919 View Post
Quote:

Yeah I signed one with price then changed the option. So I just checked the updated options then signed it without the price. Had confirmation on it's MSRP though. Will walk out instantly if they charges anything over MSRP.

On the other hand however, they give my tradein 4k over Vroom/KBB price which makes very happy about it.
Sounds good. I had issues at my dealer and had nothing to do with notice, but they gave away my allocation after I built the car with the CA on the phone for 2 hours. And lots of other conversations as well on build and purchase, and luckily many were texts as email through dealership system or whatever they use.

Long story short a quick call to the GM threatening to call BMW NA and within 24 hours I had my allocation back. Dealers are shady and I hate dealing with them, but don't let them bully you around. If they know that you won't take shit and will not let something go, things will usually work in your favor. I'm 3 for 3 with major issues at dealerships when I went up the corporate ladder within their dealership or organization.
      03-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #8
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. I had issues at my dealer and had nothing to do with notice, but they gave away my allocation after I built the car with the CA on the phone for 2 hours. And lots of other conversations as well on build and purchase, and luckily many were texts as email through dealership system or whatever they use.

Long story short a quick call to the GM threatening to call BMW NA and within 24 hours I had my allocation back. Dealers are shady and I hate dealing with them, but don't let them bully you around. If they know that you won't take shit and will not let something go, things will usually work in your favor. I'm 3 for 3 with major issues at dealerships when I went up the corporate ladder within their dealership or organization.
Sorry you had so much trouble with that dealership. I’m pretty sure my allocation is secure as I have the production number on hand.

There are only two BMW dealers close to me unless I want to drive more than one hour. But the demand is hot. The Mercedes here charges 25k premium to build a car. So I’m okay to take the MSRP but just want to see if I can work something out. I will try to talk with my CA on the price. If not the vehicle, maybe some other things like coating and tinting with a cheaper price.

Thanks for sharing your experience
Appreciate 1
Flying051305.50
      03-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

If the agreement does not mean crap on his end then it does not mean crap on theirs either, including a price.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Quote:

If the agreement does not mean crap on his end then it does not mean crap on theirs either, including a price.
Not necessarily true. When I sign to agree to buy a car at the given price, I can still back out one way or another. It's just saying that you agree to the given price, but there other factors that can prevent the purchase. For example, your credit sucks and you get a bad Interest rate, you can easily walk away if you don't agree. Or maybe you don't qualify after the credit check period. There are plenty of ways for the customer to walk away, but when a dealer agrees on the price and you have it signed in hand, I find it hard for them to get away from that and out if the 20 some odd cars I've purchased, that never happened. As I mentioned, the signed agreement is the agreed upon price, not a gun to your head where you can't get out of the deal.
      03-25-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily true. When I sign to agree to buy a car at the given price, I can still back out one way or another. It's just saying that you agree to the given price, but there other factors that can prevent the purchase. For example, your credit sucks and you get a bad Interest rate, you can easily walk away if you don't agree. Or maybe you don't qualify after the credit check period. There are plenty of ways for the customer to walk away, but when a dealer agrees on the price and you have it signed in hand, I find it hard for them to get away from that and out if the 20 some odd cars I've purchased, that never happened. As I mentioned, the signed agreement is the agreed upon price, not a gun to your head where you can't get out of the deal.
Yeah. So I just added something to my new build and the CA is going to send me an updated agreement just to show all the options I checked for. So I will have another agreement updated with agreed option and the new price.

I trust the dealership so the previous one I signed without the price is okay as we both agreed that this would be sale on MSRP. Of course we would still chat about future incentive between the now and when the car actually goes into production.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #12
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. So I just added something to my new build and the CA is going to send me an updated agreement just to show all the options I checked for. So I will have another agreement updated with agreed option and the new price.

I trust the dealership so the previous one I signed without the price is okay as we both agreed that this would be sale on MSRP. Of course we would still chat about future incentive between the now and when the car actually goes into production.
Sounds good. I'm sure you'll be fine and sounds like you are staying on top of it.
      04-04-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #14
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Any update?
They are going with the MSRP and claiming they are adding a $5000 premium for inventories now.

Just over heard another dealer can do $2000 off but I didn't check my tradein with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:08 PM   #15
AZERB
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3

Placed an order in January and I was nervous that the dealer never asked for a deposit. We'd agreed on MSRP and I was told that I was lucky there was no "market adjustment."

Given the times, I suppose I should be grateful that the order came through and the price was as agreed. Still not a very pleasant experience regardless. You can always try to haggle, but don't hold your breath.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #16
JoeyDDD0919
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZERB View Post
Placed an order in January and I was nervous that the dealer never asked for a deposit. We'd agreed on MSRP and I was told that I was lucky there was no "market adjustment."

Given the times, I suppose I should be grateful that the order came through and the price was as agreed. Still not a very pleasant experience regardless. You can always try to haggle, but don't hold your breath.
Yeah I txt with the CA back and forth. I don't think she will give me any discount. However, her service is fine. Was able to swap my build to a new allocation to upgrade to HK stereo.
Appreciate 0