BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Stock M brakes vs the Ceramic

11-07-2023, 07:18 PM   #67
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
You know... it's funny, I have the exact opposite experience and honestly feel like the ccbs aren't really worth it unless you're going for the unsprung weight (which yes you can feel a difference).

I have the same if not MORE brake dust with the ccbs. Pedal feel is improved and more progressive imo than steel, but seriously you guys must be barely touching your brakes if you're not getting dust... (probably why yall complaining about the steelies squeeling all the tine) I can legit wash the car, drive 80 miles to a car show (mainly highway) and the wheels look like they were never washed, and this is with ccbs.

One thing I can say is definitely a pro, my steel brakes would've been warped by now and getting changed (I'm at 8500 miles, no track use) while the ccbs are still holding strong. Sadly no fcpeuro lifetime warranty for ccbs, vs steel that I can afford to replace every 10k miles as needed for free
I don't mean any disrespect, but this makes no sense. Maybe you have something wrong with your brake system. I had my F90 with CCB's, Porsches, and Ferraris: Zero brake dust.
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #68
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazzo009 View Post
I don't mean any disrespect, but this makes no sense. Maybe you have something wrong with your brake system. I had my F90 with CCB's, Porsches, and Ferraris: Zero brake dust.
Maybe I just actually press on the brake pedal😂 even the cars at the performance center are covered in brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:23 PM   #69
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
No disrespect intended either, but he's right. PLENTY of brake dust from the CCB's on track.

The idea that brake pads "evaporate" into nothingness doesn't make any sense. HOWEVER, if the dust isn't "sticky" and you don't generate much, then you won't see it. I've seen plenty of it from the BMW CCB's on track (and converted to metal as a result).

The porsche's and ferrari's on track are the same. We see the dust just fine. Maybe on the street with "normal" use you never see it. Doesn't stick to the wheel and then harmlessly ends up on the tarmac.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      11-07-2023, 10:15 PM   #70
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
No disrespect intended either, but he's right. PLENTY of brake dust from the CCB's on track.

The idea that brake pads "evaporate" into nothingness doesn't make any sense. HOWEVER, if the dust isn't "sticky" and you don't generate much, then you won't see it. I've seen plenty of it from the BMW CCB's on track (and converted to metal as a result).

The porsche's and ferrari's on track are the same. We see the dust just fine. Maybe on the street with "normal" use you never see it. Doesn't stick to the wheel and then harmlessly ends up on the tarmac.

Shawn
Ahhh HA! Yes, totally agree. Track use is an entirely different aspect. Hence why CCB are not ideal for track use because while it might be beneficial from a Performance perspective, it will be quite costly to replace rotors and pads.
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:23 PM   #71
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post

Shawn
I mean here's a picture of what my wheels look like 600 miles after a professional detail (7 days of driving the car), mostly highway driving with some city mix. My car NEVER saw a track and this is just my normal driving. Heck after the first day my wheels were already coated. Front left and back left. I even took a finger to the dust so you can tell the difference a bit easier. But what you can't really see is that the drilled holes in the rotors are almost filled up with dust.

The main benefit of ccbs imo is that I haven't warped the rotors yet, though I can replace steel ones for free essentially so idk if that's really a good trade off😂.

It really just depends on driving style and how hard you hit your brakes and how much heat you're generating. I'm at 12k miles and my front pads are nearing half health which for ccb is apparently almost time for replacement...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      11-08-2023, 05:22 AM   #72
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Ccb after track event.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      11-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #73
Pazzo009
Major
Rep

Quote:
I mean here's a picture of what my wheels look like 600 miles after a professional detail (7 days of driving the car), mostly highway driving with some city mix. My car NEVER saw a track and this is just my normal driving. Heck after the first day my wheels were already coated. Front left and back left. I even took a finger to the dust so you can tell the difference a bit easier. But what you can't really see is that the drilled holes in the rotors are almost filled up with dust.

The main benefit of ccbs imo is that I haven't warped the rotors yet, though I can replace steel ones for free essentially so idk if that's really a good trade off😂.

It really just depends on driving style and how hard you hit your brakes and how much heat you're generating. I'm at 12k miles and my front pads are nearing half health which for ccb is apparently almost time for replacement...
600 miles...You're going to have some dust, but mainly road dust which is what I presume is present. Anyway, I had steels on my previous F90 and they held up with no warping... So, if you warped yours, then I would say you're having fun with the car lol
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 1
micvite1540.00
      11-08-2023, 06:42 PM   #74
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
600 miles...You're going to have some dust, but mainly road dust which is what I presume is present. Anyway, I had steels on my previous F90 and they held up with no warping... So, if you warped yours, then I would say you're having fun with the car lol
Oh I always warp steel rotors haha... on my 22 I had a mild vibration forming at 4k miles already....

As for the dust, it's mainly brake dust, rest of the car is still clean😂 heck my wheels look like that 50 miles after washing them. But every time I walk out of the car you can smell the glorious scent of brake pads😂
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:27 PM   #75
hunter8793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Quote:
Oh I always warp steel rotors haha... on my 22 I had a mild vibration forming at 4k miles already....

As for the dust, it's mainly brake dust, rest of the car is still clean😂 heck my wheels look like that 50 miles after washing them. But every time I walk out of the car you can smell the glorious scent of brake pads😂
I had a vibration within 4k too. The dealer replaced the rear rotors and that solved it. No clue why. I didn't abuse it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 01:52 AM   #76
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Gone into major depths on CCB’s

In summation

No dust
Iconic stopping power
Huge bling factor

Worth every penny- in fact- my favorite option.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0