BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Issue with Dinan Turbo Inlets according to BMW

03-28-2023, 06:09 PM   #45
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9T View Post
Interesting. I did not get a CEL for a few thousand miles after having the turbo inlets installed. Only got it recently and then discovered the cracking, so I imagine that is the cause of my CEL.
Right, mine has no cracks or defects going on, and totally tight everywhere so maybe it’s not the same issue.

The quality is just not great regardless seeing the amount of issues people are having with them.
Appreciate 1
F9T76.00
      03-29-2023, 12:29 PM   #46
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 F90 Competition

Quote:
I am not sure as the BMW dealership did not share the specific codes with me. I have a request into Dinan to get replacement turbo inlets under warranty. Hopefully that goes through smoothly and I get my defective ones replaced. Only problem is that Dinan is telling me that labor is not covered which is disappointing since the labor costs almost as much as the inlets themselves. I am also concerned that I will have the same issue with the replacements since this seems to be a common manufacturing defect.
That's too bad. I am going to give this second pair of inlets a shot. If I get the same issue, I am going back to stock inlets.

Also, you can install these yourself. It's not that big a deal. Good luck and report back after you receive/install the other set.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 10:53 AM   #47
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Interesting. I did not get a CEL for a few thousand miles after having the turbo inlets installed. Only got it recently and then discovered the cracking, so I imagine that is the cause of my CEL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinblkF90 View Post
Right, mine has no cracks or defects going on, and totally tight everywhere so maybe it’s not the same issue.

The quality is just not great regardless seeing the amount of issues people are having with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
That's too bad. I am going to give this second pair of inlets a shot. If I get the same issue, I am going back to stock inlets.

Also, you can install these yourself. It's not that big a deal. Good luck and report back after you receive/install the other set.
Cracking is generally only cosmetic and is typically caused by a bad mixture in the resin/coating. This would be the 2nd cracking set of inlets that I am aware of. Will/Are replacing them under warranty on that alone as that is a manufacturing defect. F9T's cracking was a bit unique from what I have been told as the cracking went all the way up into the PCV hose nipple which in theory compromised that connection leading to the resulting CEL. Nearly every issue that we have seen has been traced back to the initial batch of released inlets and we have since instituted corrective measures so hopefully those issues don't continue to come up. Thus far all the batches after the initial one have had a negligible claim rate so I am pretty confident that your replacements should resolve the issue.

To this day I still don't understand why Satin's didnt want to play nicely. We can only assume it is a tolerance thing and that vehicle being on the cusp from the factory given the same inlets work fine and don't throw codes on another car.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #48
SatinblkF90
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Cracking is generally only cosmetic and is typically caused by a bad mixture in the resin/coating. This would be the 2nd cracking set of inlets that I am aware of. Will/Are replacing them under warranty on that alone as that is a manufacturing defect. F9T's cracking was a bit unique from what I have been told as the cracking went all the way up into the PCV hose nipple which in theory compromised that connection leading to the resulting CEL. Nearly every issue that we have seen has been traced back to the initial batch of released inlets and we have since instituted corrective measures so hopefully those issues don't continue to come up. Thus far all the batches after the initial one have had a negligible claim rate so I am pretty confident that your replacements should resolve the issue.

To this day I still don't understand why Satin's didnt want to play nicely. We can only assume it is a tolerance thing and that vehicle being on the cusp from the factory given the same inlets work fine and don't throw codes on another car.
So, the other car it was placed on never got an actual CEL, but after a few months we ran a scan code codes and sure enough, it still had that crankcase code but the funny thing is the actual CEL never came on over it. As if the car was saying it’s not a big enough deal that CEL had to go on, but on mine that same crankcase did in fact trigger the cel within a short 15-20 miles every time after clearing it.

This certainly points in the direction of a tolerance level being different depending on the car. I’m lucky so far been driving 10k miles with this “problem” by coding out the DTC and it’s not had any leaks or issues of any kind so I do not think it’s serious, but still annoying for me to know it will never be 100% as good as OEM quality on the inlets ever again (unless I decide to go back to stock which obviously I don’t want to do).
Appreciate 1
F9T76.00
      05-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #49
OfficiallyBroke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22

I’m in the middle of installing mine right now. Can anyone tell me if the inlet retaining clips are supposed to sit in the outside or inside groove on the turbo itself? I’m really hoping it’s the inside because if the outside, the amount of play in these inlets is unacceptable.

On the flip side, I’m having a hell of a time getting the inlets snug against the turbo housing and don’t see how I’ll get those clips to seat on the inner groove.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 06:13 PM   #50
Bsm550
Private
Rep
Drives: M550xi

Will these theoretically fit on a 2020 m550
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:33 AM   #51
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsm550 View Post
Will these theoretically fit on a 2020 m550
Would not. Round versus oval airbox connection point that are also drastically different sizes. Pathway itself has a slightly different angle and the connection to the turbo is also a slightly different size. In addition to all that the engine cover would need to be removed as the inlet would not clear under it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 11:47 AM   #52
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
My car had this exact same issue this last week. Just got it back.

Props to Dinan_Engineering for taking care of me. They overnighted me a set and I got my car back today.

Unfortunately it still cost me $776 in diagnosing and 3 hours of labor fees to do the swap, I would have put them in myself but I took the car to the dealer to figure out the CEL at first and just decided to have them swap them.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:39 PM   #53
Jimmy K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C Donington Gray/Blk

I’m about to have my 3rd set of Dinan turbo inlets installed due to cracking. I don’t know where they were cracking because the BMW tech did not specify, nor did I ask.

This new set incoming is allegedly the “re-designed” ones. While I’m glad that Dinan is covering the new set under warranty, the install costs are racking up and leaving a bad taste in my mouth. :/
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:23 PM   #54
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Started getting an Evap code with the Dinan Inlets. Reached out to Dinan and hoping to get this resolved soon.

I wonder if Dinan could make this out of ABS plastic with rubber connectors just like stock? I would buy that just to not have leaking
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 09:10 AM   #55
F10Mfizzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 mfizzzzzy

Waste of money get some front mount cold air intakes you’ll be good. Why play with something that can potentially cause a check engine or allow air into the system where it’s not suppose to come in from. Inlets show minimal gains over front mounts. Leave the oem inlets go with a nice set of front mounts and your good
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:08 PM   #56
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

You will still have the skinny stock inlets choking down the front mounts. Front mounts are also riskier for heavy rain and puddling. One member with Eventuri recently sucked up water after driving through what I guess was a massive puddle and damaged his motor and BMW denied coverage. You could use filter socks but they reduce airflow a little. Not an issue for warm and dry climates.

I would not attach front mounts to Dinan inlets. The Dinan are too loose at the turbos. Eventuri makes inlets also — maybe they are better.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 06:44 AM   #57
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
A few days ago, I got a 16050a crankcase ventilation fault code. After 20k miles and almost three years of having the Dinan inlets, I suspected that BMW may say that this would be related to those inlets.

Being pressed for time and briefly checking all the items in the engine bay that could trigger this code, I cleared the code and went about driving as usual.

A few hours later, the CEL came back on and I decided to take it to BMW as factory warranty is still ongoing. After their diag and smoke test, they said it was due to the inlets - and while initially I felt this was incorrect as I’d have an induction fault code, I remembered there being a connection to a crank recirculation port on the inlet connection, so very plausible the inlets could be causing this, especially given the loose fitting on turbo side.

I’ve reached out to Dinan to see what they say. Will keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 07:28 AM   #58
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Dinan has already acknowledged a problem with one or more older batches of inlets, and replaced some for those who suffered problems. All posted in M5 Post. I am curious whether the dealer says the problem is within the valves on the inlets or is due to the loose fitting gaskets at the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:09 AM   #59
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Dinan has already acknowledged a problem with one or more older batches of inlets, and replaced some for those who suffered problems. All posted in M5 Post. I am curious whether the dealer says the problem is within the valves on the inlets or is due to the loose fitting gaskets at the turbos.
Dinan replaced mine and was easy to work with.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 09:58 AM   #60
Jambo1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C /// 2023 XDrive40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I'm aware of Dinan acknowledging this. But in my case, after 20K miles with the inlets on with no issues - figure, just need to do process of elimination. Dealership claimed they saw a little smoke leaking at one of the inlets during smoke test, and that they could revisit once I installed the stock inlets back in, if the code came back up. Plausible for sure.
Reventon Splitter /// Reventon Diffuser /// Addlights M Door LEDs /// Dinan Inlets /// Gentleman's Switch /// Paddleshifterz With Piano Black Steering Wheel Trim /// Charcoal Filter Delete /// Piano Black Side Skirts /// Funk Motorsports Turbo Blankets
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2024, 01:13 PM   #61
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

They should last longer than 20k so I hope Dinan warranties. I have not opened up the valve to see what is inside.

With suction, a loose seal at the turbo inlet might pull air but it is sort of a weird U turn to pull. If presdurizung with smoke from before the turbos, I can see more how the smoke might go past the seal and out. But I am curious how the leak there triggers the PCV valve — I don’t fully understand that part.
Appreciate 0