BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums USA - Southeast    Detailers Nashville, TN Area

02-20-2023, 11:22 AM   #1
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Detailers Nashville, TN Area

It's a long-shot, as I've only seen maybe two people on here that hail from Nashville area, but I'm looking for a detailer that really knows their trade. Prefer someone that truly enjoys quality and takes their time. I don't want to take it a shop that just farms it out to hourly knuckleheads.

I'll take a PPF installer recommendation, too, but my god what a wasteland for that here in middle Tennessee.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
ToddinTN
Both Feet In
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG DINAN E93 M3

Garage List
Heard positive things about Corsair, Nash Auto Detail, and Pressnell Automotive Detailing. I used Marlins Auto Detailing for my M5 post delivery and was happy with the work.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      02-20-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddinTN View Post
Heard positive things about Corsair, Nash Auto Detail, and Pressnell Automotive Detailing. I used Marlins Auto Detailing for my M5 post delivery and was happy with the work.
It's funny you mention Corsair. They've been popping up in my IG feed starting this week.

Very much appreciate the recommendations. I've never had good results with giving credence to reviews.

I was quoted $10k for PPF by Tennessee Paint Protection. I don't mind paying for quality, but the last dude I paid $10k for a wrap did a phenomenally bad job and $5k damage to my previous M5.

Last edited by nerdogray; 02-20-2023 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:08 PM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I couldn't get a response from Marlins. Didn't contact Pressnell, as I wanted someone that had been doing it longer. Nash Auto Detail isn't in town for the foreseeable future, but he referred me to Ceramic Pro, aka Lux Auto Spa. Corsair just seems like yet another hourly knucklehead farm that may or may not do it right... which is just how Lux turned out.

Was not happy with the detail. They scratched it in numerous places and then tried to use those spots to sell me PPF... casually, but don't damage my car and pretend you didn't. I was very well aware of what scratches did and did not exist on the M5 before taking it there. It was practically flawless, even after having driven it back home from Greer. Anyway, guess I will keep looking... and the next person will then have to correct what Lux did.

I want a detailer that has an actual eye for actual detail and knows how to do their job without causing scratches. Why is this so hard?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Used a detailer I had used before, Dr. Detail. He's seen better days. I wanted him to fill in a few chips for me, provided him the Dr. Colorchip kit when I dropped it off, and he didn't even touch them. Completely avoided the topic when I picked it up. Also wanted him to try and repair the end of black, plastic trim that Lux had damaged, and he used a damned Sharpie... made it look even worse. The detail itself was pretty damned good, though I question using tire dressing that splattered all over the sides of the car when I left. But with the passive avoidance of the chip repair and the trim, I won't be back. Plus, he's in a really inconvenient location.

Also went to see a guy that is loosely associated with Marlin about PPF. He did not instill a lot of confidence in paint correction or the PPF. He had obviously not done an M5 before, either. He had also worked with the guy that did $5k in damage to my previous M5, had it close to two months, and in the end did a very mediocre wrap job while raking me through the coals with lie after lie. No way I'm getting involved in that again. PPF seems very clique'ish around here.

The more I've thought about Lux, the more annoyed I've gotten. If they knew about the scratch on the trunk, why didn't they just buff it out before telling me the car was ready? *They* are also the ones that scratched it. I'm pretty sure they marred the end of that narrow, black, plastic trim (runs along the car on either side of roof), by getting it caught in something like an orbital buffer, which also caused it to lift out of the channel. It doesn't lay down like the other side anymore.

So here is the breakdown:

Nash Auto Detail: No. Referred me without informing me to Lux, from whom I basically got a cold call.

Lux: Hell no. Gave me a sales job and ended up damaging car. Very minor but damaged nonetheless. The detail itself wasn't spectacular, either.

Dr. Detail: Yes, if you just need detailing, but don't get tire dressing. He did do a good job of buffing out Lux's fuckery on the trunk, though.

FYI, Lux is also known as Ceramic Pro (that's their signage on the building). I believe that is also their name moving forward, and Lux Auto Spa is the original.

Last edited by nerdogray; 07-21-2023 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 11:21 PM   #6
Whyit21
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Corsair is really good. Did all my stuff last year.
I’ve got ‘19 Marina Bay Blue up in Hendersonville
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 08:56 AM   #7
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyit21 View Post
Corsair is really good. Did all my stuff last year.
I’ve got ‘19 Marina Bay Blue up in Hendersonville
Good timing. I need a fresh detail and need to find someone. Do you use their mobile or take it all the way to Franklin? Even living in Franklin, I hate driving over to the west side as it's kind of landlocked.

Edit: Well I gotta say with one post and no reply, that had to have been someone with an "interest" in Corsair. So, that's a disqualifier for me. Reason why I did not consider them previously is they seem just like Lux/Ceramic Pro, employing a bunch of people at hourly wages. Maybe you'll get someone that knows how to detail... or maybe not. I want a detailer that hasn't converted their business to an assembly line experience. Someone that does the work themselves and takes the time they need to do it right. One that considers what they do an actual trade and skill, even art, and not just a job to get out of the way so they can move on to the next one.

Last edited by nerdogray; 07-18-2023 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 11:21 AM   #8
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Went with Marlin. He did a good detailing job.

However, he quoted me $600 and then sprung $750 on me picking it up. I was fine with more given how dirty it was, but it was supposed to have included some paint correction, of which he did very little. I really expected a bit more given how he sold it. He painted in a little chip but maybe did one single coat so it's not even flush with the surrounding paint. There are also plenty of other spots that he didn't even attempt to polish out or fix. Not really sure what I paid for.

Really tired of people not following through on what they say they're going to do. I had an appointment to detail my beater, but I'm going to cancel. It was a great detail, but seriously.... what a damn ripoff.

The "full" paint correction is $800, so I guess I should be led to believe that an extra $50 would have had all of that stuff actually done. The one chip I referenced above was the one place I wanted fully repaired, and that was understood but not actually done.

Last edited by nerdogray; 07-31-2023 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0