BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    1 yr left on lease...Decisions, decisions

06-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
salraf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, prior F80 M3, E60 M5

1 yr left on lease...Decisions, decisions

My current non-comp lease ends next June, so I figured I would start looking and doing some research.

Car is DD, only have about 12.5K miles on it. I will probably pay the residual but have been debating about selling to 3rd party (carmax etc) vs cont with the car. Car was an allocation so I selected the specs (MBB ext, SO interior). Added black front and side grills, in addition to front splitter, spoiler and side skirts. So I really like the look of the car but also like change.

Since I have my own business, leasing usually has some good incentives for me.

Previously owned E60 M5, F80 M3, Audi s4 and now debating which way to go.
I know that the CS is just about here, but not sure I want to be getting up in that price range.

I don't know much about other lease programs but one reason I have stuck with BMW was due to residuals being higher that others as well as a competitive MF. In addition I was able to get around 10-12K off MSRP (at least 2 yrs ago this was the case).

I figure others have been in my predicament and have done similar lease research and am curious to hear others' thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
If I were you, I'd wait out the remainder of your lease. BMWFS has been getting less and less competitive with their residuals over the last few years. Plus, inventory is pretty much at an all time low so you won't be finding the amazing deals like what you got last time around.

As for the M5CS, not sure that is an option in northern cali unless you want to pay over MSRP (just a guess based on what I see with pricing up there). Even then, you'd have to find a dealership with an allocation that isn't spoken for.

If you have another car to drive, that will keep you happy for a year, then dumping the M5 now might be a decent financial decision since the used car market is very hot these days (due to the low inventory of new cars). But, with a year left on your lease there is a chance that you are just at breakeven with your residual and remaining payments.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. The lease on my M3CS is up in December. I got on the list for the M5CS when it was just a rumor a few years ago so I was able to get the first one. It is scheduled to arrive in October and I'll either sell the M3CS to CarMax/Vroom or let my dealership try to make a competitive offer on it instead.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0